What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?

If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the components
less used?

Thanks for reply.

Hi,

Compressing old files just refers to a routine that opens disk space on the
system, it does not delete anything. The files are still usable in the
compressed state. In most modern machines, this is rarely necessary.

Disk Cleanup will delete temporary files and those in the Recycle Bin,
generally ones that should be removed anyways.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
>
> If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the
> components
> less used?
>

> Thanks for reply.

Compress Old Files
[[Windows can compress files that you have not used recently. Compressing
files saves disk space, but you can still use the files. No files are
deleted. Because files are compressed at different rates, the displayed
amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate. An Options button
permits you to specify the number of days to wait before Disk Cleanup
compresses an unused file.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EDD89FE7-2125-49EE-9BFD-A93F2FFFD5FD@microsoft.com,
Onlyjamesbond007 <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
>
> If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the
> components less used?
>

> Thanks for reply.

So, what you mean is when I choose to "clean up" the compressed old files,
it will just uncompressed it? right? Nothing will be deleted?

Thanks.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Compressing old files just refers to a routine that opens disk space on the
> system, it does not delete anything. The files are still usable in the
> compressed state. In most modern machines, this is rarely necessary.
>
> Disk Cleanup will delete temporary files and those in the Recycle Bin,
> generally ones that should be removed anyways.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
> >
> > If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the
> > components
> > less used?
> >

> > Thanks for reply.

In the disk clean up utility if you click on compress files it gives you
a description of what it is.
No files will be deleted..

regards,
ssg MS-MVP