Question on compressed old files

What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?

If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the components
less used?

Thanks for reply.
4 answers Last reply
More about question compressed files

    Hi,

    Compressing old files just refers to a routine that opens disk space on the
    system, it does not delete anything. The files are still usable in the
    compressed state. In most modern machines, this is rarely necessary.

    Disk Cleanup will delete temporary files and those in the Recycle Bin,
    generally ones that should be removed anyways.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
    >
    > If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the
    > components
    > less used?
    >

    > Thanks for reply.

    Compress Old Files
    [[Windows can compress files that you have not used recently. Compressing
    files saves disk space, but you can still use the files. No files are
    deleted. Because files are compressed at different rates, the displayed
    amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate. An Options button
    permits you to specify the number of days to wait before Disk Cleanup
    compresses an unused file.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:EDD89FE7-2125-49EE-9BFD-A93F2FFFD5FD@microsoft.com,
    Onlyjamesbond007 <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
    >
    > If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the
    > components less used?
    >

    > Thanks for reply.

    So, what you mean is when I choose to "clean up" the compressed old files,
    it will just uncompressed it? right? Nothing will be deleted?

    Thanks.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Compressing old files just refers to a routine that opens disk space on the
    > system, it does not delete anything. The files are still usable in the
    > compressed state. In most modern machines, this is rarely necessary.
    >
    > Disk Cleanup will delete temporary files and those in the Recycle Bin,
    > generally ones that should be removed anyways.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Onlyjamesbond007" <onlyjamesbond007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
    > >
    > > If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the
    > > components
    > > less used?
    > >

    > > Thanks for reply.

    In the disk clean up utility if you click on compress files it gives you
    a description of what it is.
    No files will be deleted..

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Onlyjamesbond007 wrote:
    > What are the compressed old files in disk cleaneup means?
    >
    > If I delete it , will it affect the system or deletes some of the components
    > less used?
    >

    > Thanks for reply.

Microsoft Components Windows XP