[40K] Is *ANYONE* using transport vehicles anymore?

I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?

Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.

"Hive Tyrant" <richbusby@hatespam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?

I've seen all three taken on a regular basis. Instead of being assault
boats, they're now commonly used to get "bolter squads" or their equivalents
into a good firing position. Trukks are still VERY good assault transports,
you just must use terrain or other vehicles to screen them for a turn. I'm
still using Kult of Speed quite often, and have done very well with it. The
list now requires a lot more concentration and planning to use effectively,
but it still works.

Land raiders freaking rock as transport vehicles (correction, LR Crusaders),
especially with the new hard hitting space marine veterans or lightning claw
terminators with Furious Charge. The monolith's battlefield role has not
changed at all, the portal's ability to move a squad and allow re-roll
failed We'll Be Backs is just plain sick. When I used one I only fired the
particle whip once (first turn usually). After that it portaled a squad
every single turn, even if it was the one portaled last turn (effectively
just a tool to re-roll failed WBB's).

--
Brant M

Hive Tyrant wrote:
> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>
> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
> Demolisher that we won't see much vehicle action any more.

There, corrected my own post before everyone else jumps on me.

"Hive Tyrant" <richbusby@hatespam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will anyone
>take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>
> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
> Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.

Especially as the Demolisher is not a transport.

Rob

Robert Williams wrote:
> "Hive Tyrant" <richbusby@hatespam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
>>Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.
>

> Especially as the Demolisher is not a transport.

Everyone's a comedian. :p

Right, a Demolisher is not a transport. Technically a Monolith is not
either. The POINT was that besides heavily armored vehicles (like the
three mentioned, all armor 14) nobody seems to be using the lighter
armored rigs much. At least, not beyond their first few 4th Ed games
(when they watch them and the troops within die fiery deaths and get
shot down like dogs if they do survive long enough to bail out)...

"Hive Tyrant" wrote ...
> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?

I've played 4 games @1500 pts since 4th edition came out, all of them using the
"Gamma" rules. Here's the total transport count for those games:
2 Devilfish
2 Wave serpents & 1 Falcon
And that's it. The Devilfish were seen in 2 separate games, and both times they
were transporting a Pathfinder squad. Recall that Tau Pathfinders are REQUIRED
to have a Devilfish!

The Eldar vehicles were all ones I took in a single game. I borrowed an Eldar
army just to try it out, and I had a very aspect heavy force. The Wave Serpent
carrying the Fire Dragons got shot down as soon as it entered the board, leaving
the surviving Dragons to slog a loooong way across the board on foot. I think
they got to fire once before they blew a leadership check and started running.
The W-S with the Banshees made it to the drop zone, but the Banshees ate a
railgun submunition as soon as they deployed... there's a 4+ cover save now for
being behind a vehicle (even a skimmer) so I only lost half the squad as opposed
to all of it.

> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
> Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.

I'd hardly call a Land Raider or Monolith obligatory. Yes, they're very tough
units, but you can do a lot with that many points.
--
- Ward.
wardcb at earthlink dot net

The "upper crust" is a bunch of crumbs held together by their dough.

I have but one rhino in my entire army of Black Templars
Space Marines
but i still use it.
The rhino is a loyal transport to a BT squad with Bolters and a special
weapon: flamer, plasma gun or melta gun.

it realy works. you can disorient your aponent, thinout its troops
and give the rest of my squads (espesialy my cc squads) and units to get
closer with less trouble.

greets Dennis

"Hive Tyrant" <richbusby@hatespam.comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>
> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
> Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.

Enygma

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002

GW do have a habit of "over correcting" mistakes from previous
editions.

Eldar transports are still all worthwhile because they are fast, *very*
difficult to destroy (assuming you use crysal matrix on wave serpents
and holofield+spirit stone on falcon) and they come with good weapons.
I use mine primarily as highly mobile heavy weapons platforms with the
added function of being able to dump off a squad where needed -normally
10 firedragons! Banshees can also be effective in a counter attack role
because they get out before the wave serpent moves that turn and so can
assault.

Chimeras are also still worth it because even without the transport
capacity they work out as a very undercosted light tank. When you
consider the squad they carry isn't all that valuable it doesn't matter
too much if they go up with the chimera.

Rhinos seem to be the biggest losers under the new rules as they don't
have any decent weapons and don't have much armour. I've seen them best
used in a similar way I use my eldar transports - as a mobile
counterpunch/reserve unit carrying a mid range firepower unit (e.g. 10
marines with bolters). Most armies can use their transports in this
way, and it is a very effective use for them, but the whole transport
rush idea seems to be dead (except cult of speed who have can have so
many transports carrying cheap troops that you can't take it all out).

enygma@btconnect.com wrote:
> GW do have a habit of "over correcting" mistakes from previous
> editions.
>
> Eldar transports are still all worthwhile because they are fast, *very*
> difficult to destroy (assuming you use crysal matrix on wave serpents
> and holofield+spirit stone on falcon) and they come with good weapons.
> I use mine primarily as highly mobile heavy weapons platforms with the
> added function of being able to dump off a squad where needed -normally
> 10 firedragons! Banshees can also be effective in a counter attack role
> because they get out before the wave serpent moves that turn and so can
> assault.
>
> Chimeras are also still worth it because even without the transport
> capacity they work out as a very undercosted light tank. When you
> consider the squad they carry isn't all that valuable it doesn't matter
> too much if they go up with the chimera.
>
> Rhinos seem to be the biggest losers under the new rules as they don't
> have any decent weapons and don't have much armour. I've seen them best
> used in a similar way I use my eldar transports - as a mobile
> counterpunch/reserve unit carrying a mid range firepower unit (e.g. 10
> marines with bolters). Most armies can use their transports in this
> way, and it is a very effective use for them, but the whole transport
> rush idea seems to be dead (except cult of speed who have can have so
> many transports carrying cheap troops that you can't take it all out).

I confess to not having used any transprts in 4th ed. but my Army lists
have razorbacks w/TL Las cannon.

> Hive Tyrant wrote:
>> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
>> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>>
>> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
>> Demolisher that we won't see much vehicle action any more.
>
> There, corrected my own post before everyone else jumps on me.

Well, the Monolith isn't *exactly* a vehicle, more of a floating building ;)
--
Jon Hedge,
"The chances are, I said it in jest."

First time e-mails should be tagged [RGMW] to make it through my spam
filter.

RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

Hive Tyrant wrote:
> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>
> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
> Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.

Not a single person mentioned what I think is THE best transport unit in
the whole game... The Razorback!

True, it only holds 6 marines so it is better made for transporting a
squad w/ a h.bolter or missle launcher to its position and then taking
up a close position and making supporting fire. But for 85pts after
upgrades (pintle storm bolter & extra armor) it is a steal. Especially
if you drop it behind a wall for cover giving it a 4+ to make
penetrating glancing. (no matter WHAT weapon is fired at it)

Don't forget another awesome transport, the Dark Eldar Raider, this give
a Dark Eldar squad the abilitiy to move 21" - 26" in to an assault in a
turn, (12" raider move, 2" deployment, 1-6" fleet, 6" charge) A squad of
Wyches on a raider can be devastating to just about anyone they go up
against, especially with an I:6 meaning they almost always go first.

Rhinos still rock, just don't leave your troops inside while it is out
in the open able to be shot at by your enemy, I put my HQ squad in one
on Saturday and it did really well, especially when you have a pintle
storm bolter on it you now have 4 shots, if you do decide to leave it in
the open with troops in it to be fired at because you want to fire with
it you can have 2 HQ's with storm bolters fire from the fire points
(this is only for command squads of course) but you have 8 shots
available to it. Also, don't forget that you can repair rhinos if they
become immobile. Not bad for 50 - 65pts

True, with the escalation rules transports can become a hindrance to
troop squads (not starting on the table) but in the case of a Razorback
squad you get to field both a good peice of artillery & a squad on one
roll instead of 2. (I guess this can be taken as either good or bad)

later
d <----- me likes transports

"Jon Hedge" <ihug.com.au@dopefish> wrote in message

> "Hive Tyrant" <richbusby@hatespam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hive Tyrant wrote:
>>> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
>>> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>>>
>>> Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
>>> Demolisher that we won't see much vehicle action any more.
>>
>> There, corrected my own post before everyone else jumps on me.
>
> Well, the Monolith isn't *exactly* a vehicle, more of a floating building
> ;)

Correction...a flotating outhouse.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:17:43 -0500, Hive Tyrant wrote:

> I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
> anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?

Sure, i'll keep taking Chimeras. The mobility is a big plus for my IG
army. I won a game last week because of it. I certainly won't leave squads
in them unless i'm confident they will not get shot at.

It might be different for marines, but i doubt a guard squad would survive
advancing on foot, so i don't think the are any worse off in a transport.
The extra movement from a turn or two in the chimera makes the squad much
more useful. After they diembark, the presence of the Chimera gives the
squad a stronger punch, provides mobile cover, and may force the opponent
to split fire between the vehicle and squad. I'm not going to send them
straight into the center of the enemy army and expect them to survive, but
i will continue to use them to deploy squads in forward positions to
better control the board.

--
Error: file not found

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:17:43 -0500, Hive Tyrant
<richbusby@hatespam.comcast.net> wrote:

>I mean really... they nerfed transports so badly in 4th Edition will
>anyone take a Rhino, Trukk or Chimera anymore?
>
>Methinks besides the obligitory Land Raider, Monolith or Leman Russ
>Demolisher that we won't see much transport action any more.

Definitely, I shall take Rhinos! Zip up there and let loose with
rapid-firing bolters. And Trukks are open topped, so you can still
assault out of them.
-Erik
"There's a lot to be said for just letting go. It also helps to keep in mind that that bastard Grim Reaper is loose in the room and moving targets are harder to hit."
-Randy Wayne White

RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org
Read it for your own good!

I love you, you love me
we're a happy family
with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
won't you say you love me too.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

"Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I love you, you love me
> we're a happy family
> with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
> won't you say you love me too.

You BASTARD

On 3/16/05 3:29 AM, in article Xns961BDAA9B8FA5rsingers@IP-Hidden, "Robert
Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:

> I love you, you love me
> we're a happy family
> with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
> won't you say you love me too.

Someone is gaining weight and turning purple?

janet
--
....vice loses its charm by appearing in all its grossness...
J. Ewing Ritchie

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Craig Little said

> "Robert Singers" wrote
>>I love you, you love me
>> we're a happy family
>> with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
>> won't you say you love me too.
>>
> You BASTARD

If all the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops oh what a rain that would
be. Standing outside with our mouths open wide.
Oh oh oh oh oh oho oh
If all the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops oh what a rain that would
be.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
"I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere

On 16 Mar 2005 21:29:44 +1300, Robert Singers
<rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I love you, you love me
>we're a happy family
>with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
>won't you say you love me too.

I'm turning you in to the Hague for this!
-Erik