Windows XP Application Slow After Upgrading

July 25, 2005 3:39:15 PM

I've just upgraded my PC to an Athlon 64 3200+. I'm running Windows XP Pro
SP2 but some applications seem very slow.

A specific example is uncompressing a file with WinRAR. Uncompressing a 700K
file now takes 12 minutes. I'm certain it did this under a minute when I was
running an Athlon 2800+.

Any have any ideas why the machine may be this slow?

Gary
July 25, 2005 8:35:35 PM

Gary wrote:

> I've just upgraded my PC to an Athlon 64 3200+. I'm running Windows XP
> Pro SP2 but some applications seem very slow.
>
> A specific example is uncompressing a file with WinRAR. Uncompressing
> a 700K file now takes 12 minutes. I'm certain it did this under a
> minute when I was running an Athlon 2800+.
>
> Any have any ideas why the machine may be this slow?
>
> Gary

Are you sure you have the fsb set correctly in your BIOS?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers