Show Desktop and Play not working

July 25, 2005 8:53:03 AM

OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I noticed
my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe. Before,
that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click on
the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it pops
up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file. File:
D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
would i have to reinstall Windows?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:49:19 PM

For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I
> noticed
> my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
> decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
> sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe.
> Before,
> that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click
> on
> the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
> folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
> work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it
> pops
> up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file.
> File:
> D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
> would i have to reinstall Windows?
July 25, 2005 10:24:43 PM

Regarding autoplay problem:-
Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://tinyurl.com/5s4x7

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

lixi0123 wrote:

> OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I noticed
> my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
> decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
> sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe. Before,
> that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click on
> the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
> folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
> work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it pops
> up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file. File:
> D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
> would i have to reinstall Windows?
July 26, 2005 12:06:11 PM

Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I
> > noticed
> > my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
> > decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
> > sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe.
> > Before,
> > that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click
> > on
> > the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
> > folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
> > work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it
> > pops
> > up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file.
> > File:
> > D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
> > would i have to reinstall Windows?
> > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:56:27 AM

>> is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?

Which icon is currently being displayed? And, is the Show Desktop shortcut
functioning properly?

--

> Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
> And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
> takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I
>> > noticed
>> > my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So
>> > decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across
>> > some
>> > sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe.
>> > Before,
>> > that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I
>> > click
>> > on
>> > the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows
>> > the
>> > folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive
>> > doesn't
>> > work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it
>> > pops
>> > up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file.
>> > File:
>> > D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this
>> > or
>> > would i have to reinstall Windows?
>> > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:56:28 AM

Wait, nevermind. After a reboot, the Show Desktop icon is showing the correct
graphic. Yes, its functioning properly now. Thanks.
By any chance, can you help me with this slow bootup problem I've been
having since I installed SP2?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
>
> Which icon is currently being displayed? And, is the Show Desktop shortcut
> functioning properly?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
> > And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
> > takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:25:17 AM

For the slow boot, I'd isolate the problem by clean-booting the system.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

--

!