Show Desktop and Play not working

OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I noticed
my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe. Before,
that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click on
the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it pops
up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file. File:
D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
would i have to reinstall Windows?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about show desktop play working

    For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I
    > noticed
    > my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
    > decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
    > sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe.
    > Before,
    > that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click
    > on
    > the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
    > folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
    > work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it
    > pops
    > up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file.
    > File:
    > D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
    > would i have to reinstall Windows?

    Regarding autoplay problem:-
    Autoplay Repair Wizard
    http://tinyurl.com/5s4x7

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    lixi0123 wrote:

    > OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I noticed
    > my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
    > decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
    > sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe. Before,
    > that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click on
    > the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
    > folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
    > work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it pops
    > up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file. File:
    > D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
    > would i have to reinstall Windows?

    Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
    And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
    takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I
    > > noticed
    > > my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So i
    > > decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across some
    > > sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe.
    > > Before,
    > > that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I click
    > > on
    > > the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows the
    > > folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive doesn't
    > > work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it
    > > pops
    > > up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file.
    > > File:
    > > D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this or
    > > would i have to reinstall Windows?
    > > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    >> is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?

    Which icon is currently being displayed? And, is the Show Desktop shortcut
    functioning properly?

    --

    > Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
    > And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
    > takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > OK, so when i installed Windows XP Professional onto my computer, I
    >> > noticed
    >> > my Show Desktop button was not working. It was labeled as SHCmdFile. So
    >> > decided to look online and look for a solution myself. I came across
    >> > some
    >> > sites that said my ftype SHCmdFile was supposed to be explorer.exe.
    >> > Before,
    >> > that "ftype" didn't exist. So I set it to explorer.exe. Now, when I
    >> > click
    >> > on
    >> > the Show Desktop button, it opens a Windows Explorer thing that shows
    >> > the
    >> > folders. Ever since I have done this, the AutoPlay of my DVD drive
    >> > doesn't
    >> > work anymore. Now, when I right click on the D: and click Autoplay, it
    >> > pops
    >> > up a box saying: "Choose the program you want to use to open this file.
    >> > File:
    >> > D:\". This happens with any CD I insert. Is there any way to fix this
    >> > or
    >> > would i have to reinstall Windows?
    >> > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Wait, nevermind. After a reboot, the Show Desktop icon is showing the correct
    graphic. Yes, its functioning properly now. Thanks.
    By any chance, can you help me with this slow bootup problem I've been
    having since I installed SP2?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
    >
    > Which icon is currently being displayed? And, is the Show Desktop shortcut
    > functioning properly?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
    > > And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
    > > takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> For the Show Desktop issue, try this command from Start, Run dialog:
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    For the slow boot, I'd isolate the problem by clean-booting the system.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

    --

    > Wait, nevermind. After a reboot, the Show Desktop icon is showing the
    > correct
    > graphic. Yes, its functioning properly now. Thanks.
    > By any chance, can you help me with this slow bootup problem I've been
    > having since I installed SP2?

    >> Which icon is currently being displayed? And, is the Show Desktop
    >> shortcut
    >> functioning properly?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "lixi0123" <lixi0123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, is there any way I can get the graphic for the icon working?
    >> > And I also have another problem, where after my Windows SP2 install, it
    >> > takes about 4-6 minutes to start up.

Desktops Windows XP