Not shutting down

Windows is not shutting down. It gets to the screen that says "windows is
shutting down" and just seems to stall there. I have to unplug the CPU as
the button does not do the trick. Can someone tell me what I need to do to
get it operating correctly again.

Many thanks for your help,

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

misskitty wrote:
> Windows is not shutting down. It gets to the screen that says "windows is
> shutting down" and just seems to stall there. I have to unplug the CPU as
> the button does not do the trick. Can someone tell me what I need to do to
> get it operating correctly again.
>
> Many thanks for your help,

This was almost too much information. I tried a few of the things that I
could understand but felt that many things did not apply. I wanted to
download just the patch for the bug that was mentioned but the screen did not
seem to be the same as that described in the directions/ So, I don't know
what to do.

It has only started doing this over the last couple of weeks and I have not
installed anything new that I can think of. Any other ideas??

Thank you.

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> misskitty wrote:
> > Windows is not shutting down. It gets to the screen that says "windows is
> > shutting down" and just seems to stall there. I have to unplug the CPU as
> > the button does not do the trick. Can someone tell me what I need to do to
> > get it operating correctly again.
> >
> > Many thanks for your help,

master

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

"misskitty" wrote:

> This was almost too much information. I tried a few of the things that I
> could understand but felt that many things did not apply. I wanted to
> download just the patch for the bug that was mentioned but the screen did not
> seem to be the same as that described in the directions/ So, I don't know
> what to do.
>
> It has only started doing this over the last couple of weeks and I have not
> installed anything new that I can think of. Any other ideas??
>
> Thank you.
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
> > http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
> >
> > regards,
> > ssg MS-MVP
> >
> > misskitty wrote:
> > > Windows is not shutting down. It gets to the screen that says "windows is
> > > shutting down" and just seems to stall there. I have to unplug the CPU as
> > > the button does not do the trick. Can someone tell me what I need to do to
> > > get it operating correctly again.
> > >
> > > Many thanks for your help,

GO and click on Command prompt then type in "ipconfig /renew" (copy exactly
without """" ok?? I think that should help because it helped me out.

Malke

misskitty wrote:

> This was almost too much information. I tried a few of the things
> that I
> could understand but felt that many things did not apply. I wanted to
> download just the patch for the bug that was mentioned but the screen
> did not
> seem to be the same as that described in the directions/ So, I don't
> know what to do.
>
> It has only started doing this over the last couple of weeks and I
> have not
> installed anything new that I can think of. Any other ideas??

This is not meant to hurt your feelings, but if you felt the shutdown
troubleshooter was "too much information" then take your machine to a
professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
BigStoreUSA). There can be many reasons for difficulty in shutting
down. The most common reason is infestation by viruses and malware.
However, the instructions to remove malware aren't a one-step process
either. You are wise to know when you should turn things over to a
professional. There is no shame in doing this.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers