Question about .NET Runtime

This is a silly question and I apologize for asking it...

I recently got a new machine running Windows XP with SP2 on which I
installed Visual Studio .NET. I noticed the VS .NET had to install the .NET
Runtime but I thought the .NET Runtime was part of Windows XP.

Doesn't WinXP ship with the .NET Runtime?

John C.

No.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

NayJo wrote:

> This is a silly question and I apologize for asking it...
>
> I recently got a new machine running Windows XP with SP2 on which I
> installed Visual Studio .NET. I noticed the VS .NET had to install the .NET
> Runtime but I thought the .NET Runtime was part of Windows XP.
>
> Doesn't WinXP ship with the .NET Runtime?
>
> John C.
Hi,

No, it doesn't. Only Windows Server 2003 ships with the .Net runtime.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

You can still get hold of the .net runtime separately, if you skipped it
during the installation.

Jon