Wargames Board

hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm and
stable, and easy to make.
17 answers Last reply
More about wargames board

    make a modular terain
    lets say... 4 peaces of
    2' by 2'

    and then make a frame
    that can hold them when
    you travel.

    "Duke Merc Atreides" <dukemerc@(Delete if not spam)hotmail.com> schreef in
    bericht news:NACEd.568$SN.244@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
    > hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm and
    > stable, and easy to make.

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Duke Merc Atreides" <dukemerc@(Delete if not spam)hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:NACEd.568$SN.244@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
    > hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm and
    > stable, and easy to make.

    Buy two old internal doors - or get them out a skip.

    or

    Get a sheet of 4mil ply.
    Glue and pin battens round the edge.

    or

    Two sheets of 4 mil ply with 1inch extruded polystyrene sandwiched between.

    or

    Buy a second hand table tennis table

    In each case, paint with the cheapest housepaint you can get hold of.
    And
    Get hold of coloured cloth for each genre you want to play - ochre for
    desert, green for most everything else, grey for built up areas.

    --
    Regards,
    Andy O'Neill

    Duke Merc Atreides (Delete if not spam) wrote:
    > hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm
    and
    > stable, and easy to make.

    Only advice I can give is if you use chipboard (particle board in the
    states ?) make sure you seal it with something before you start
    otherwise the paint soaks in to the board (I believe watered down PVA
    is the way to go). I think I gave my BFG boards about 4 coats before
    deciding the patchy look actually enhanced things !

    HTH

    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Hi all,

    I'm about to make a table, but the way we are goint to do it is get 2
    wallpaper pasting tables, and put them side by side. Cheap light and
    foldaway..

    "Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Duke Merc Atreides" <dukemerc@(Delete if not spam)hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:NACEd.568$SN.244@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
    >> hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm and
    >> stable, and easy to make.
    >

    > Buy two old internal doors - or get them out a skip.
    >
    > or
    >
    > Get a sheet of 4mil ply.
    > Glue and pin battens round the edge.
    >
    > or
    >
    > Two sheets of 4 mil ply with 1inch extruded polystyrene sandwiched
    > between.
    >
    > or
    >
    > Buy a second hand table tennis table
    >

    > In each case, paint with the cheapest housepaint you can get hold of.
    > And
    > Get hold of coloured cloth for each genre you want to play - ochre for
    > desert, green for most everything else, grey for built up areas.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Andy O'Neill
    > www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
    > or, for no javascript and a faster load...
    > www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sitemap.htm

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped and said

    > Only advice I can give is if you use chipboard (particle board in the
    > states ?) make sure you seal it with something before you start
    > otherwise the paint soaks in to the board (I believe watered down PVA
    > is the way to go). I think I gave my BFG boards about 4 coats before
    > deciding the patchy look actually enhanced things !

    Any good paint store should have a sealer. It's a good idea for MDF
    (Masonite???) as well. It's certainly a lot easier than using PVA
    (Elmers?????).

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

    Robert Singers entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer
    and said...

    > Out from under a rock popped and said
    >
    > > Only advice I can give is if you use chipboard (particle board in the
    > > states ?) make sure you seal it with something before you start
    > > otherwise the paint soaks in to the board (I believe watered down PVA
    > > is the way to go). I think I gave my BFG boards about 4 coats before
    > > deciding the patchy look actually enhanced things !
    >
    > Any good paint store should have a sealer. It's a good idea for MDF
    > (Masonite???) as well. It's certainly a lot easier than using PVA
    > (Elmers?????).

    True, any good sealer, will work, for Chip board or OSB Thompsons water seal
    is the best choice IF you have the time to wait three weeks before you want
    to paint it, if not then use any of the paint primers that you would use for
    painting houses.

    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4149th of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Duke Merc Atreides" <dukemerc@(Delete if not spam)hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:NACEd.568$SN.244@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
    > hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm and
    > stable, and easy to make.

    I bought a GW desert battle mat some years ago. A friend of mine wanted to
    get one for himself, but it is out of production now. However, I found a
    household supplies/craft shop called The Range (in UK) and they sell various
    cloth and fabrics by the metre. They have a very nice, sandy coloured,
    lightly textured material (probably designed as a table covering) that was
    less than £4 per metre. Couple of metres of this is ideal (if you have a
    surface to lay it on). They also do a blue coloured one which is good for
    naval wargaming.

    Malc
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out from under a rock popped and said
    >
    >> Only advice I can give is if you use chipboard (particle board in the
    >> states ?) make sure you seal it with something before you start
    >> otherwise the paint soaks in to the board (I believe watered down PVA
    >> is the way to go). I think I gave my BFG boards about 4 coats before
    >> deciding the patchy look actually enhanced things !
    >
    > Any good paint store should have a sealer. It's a good idea for MDF
    > (Masonite???) as well. It's certainly a lot easier than using PVA
    > (Elmers?????).

    In the states I'd recommend MDO Plywood (also known as "Sign Board").
    It's mill smooth on one side and can be sealed with a single coat of Kilz or
    Butt White paint.
    Any color will cover right over that.
    Rob, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in your neck of the woods.

    --
    Sir Scott "Ex-Sign Installer..." McDaniel
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Wonder Pony and said

    > In the states I'd recommend MDO Plywood (also known as "Sign Board").
    > It's mill smooth on one side and can be sealed with a single coat of
    > Kilz or Butt White paint.
    > Any color will cover right over that.
    > Rob, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in your neck of the woods.

    Probably just Plywood. There's also marine plywood for wet areas. I would
    have thought that Ply would show grain through the paint. Of course you
    can get some sealers that also hide imperfections.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Robert Singers entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer
    and said...

    > Out from under a rock popped Wonder Pony and said
    >
    > > In the states I'd recommend MDO Plywood (also known as "Sign Board").
    > > It's mill smooth on one side and can be sealed with a single coat of
    > > Kilz or Butt White paint.
    > > Any color will cover right over that.
    > > Rob, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in your neck of the woods.
    >
    > Probably just Plywood. There's also marine plywood for wet areas. I would
    > have thought that Ply would show grain through the paint. Of course you
    > can get some sealers that also hide imperfections.

    A little time with a belt sander and you won't see any grain, as to
    imperfections, I use wood putty to fill any holes that I don't want. Once
    you put on a coat of primer and then paint the grain pretty much disappears.

    For my table I used a 3/4" pressure treated plywood (it's an outdoor table
    that doubles for both gaming and cleaning fresh fish). Someday I'll get
    around to painting it, but after two years it's holding up just fine.

    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4,154th of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
    dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Out from under a rock popped Wonder Pony and said
    >
    >> In the states I'd recommend MDO Plywood (also known as "Sign Board").
    >> It's mill smooth on one side and can be sealed with a single coat of
    >> Kilz or Butt White paint.
    >> Any color will cover right over that.
    >> Rob, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in your neck of the woods.
    >
    > Probably just Plywood. There's also marine plywood for wet areas. I
    > would
    > have thought that Ply would show grain through the paint. Of course you
    > can get some sealers that also hide imperfections.

    Well, that's the point of the MDO: No Grain on one side.
    It has a perfectly (mill grade) smooth laminate on one side that's
    outstanding for painting.
    Very, VERY, weather resistant (read as "spilled beer"...) as well...

    --
    Sir Scott "Whoa!...Grubb and Ellis flashbacks..." McDaniel
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Ancient Gamer" <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

    > For my table I used a 3/4" pressure treated plywood (it's an outdoor table
    > that doubles for both gaming and cleaning fresh fish).

    This is, by far, the coolest sentence I've read in three weeks.

    If you play Deamonhunters\Witchhunters it would give a whole new meaning to
    "Holy Mackerel".

    --
    Sir Scott "Just a guppy..." McDaniel
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <tQEGd.7720$nt.638@fed1read06>,
    "Wonder Pony" <smcdaniel1@cox.noway.net> wrote:

    > "Ancient Gamer" <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > For my table I used a 3/4" pressure treated plywood (it's an outdoor table
    > > that doubles for both gaming and cleaning fresh fish).
    >
    > This is, by far, the coolest sentence I've read in three weeks.
    >
    > If you play Deamonhunters\Witchhunters it would give a whole new meaning to
    > "Holy Mackerel".

    I was thinking Jim should take up playing a Nurgle force.

    --
    Be seeing you-
    Qrab

    Qrab entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
    said...

    > In article <tQEGd.7720$nt.638@fed1read06>,
    > "Wonder Pony" <smcdaniel1@cox.noway.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Ancient Gamer" <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > For my table I used a 3/4" pressure treated plywood (it's an outdoor table
    > > > that doubles for both gaming and cleaning fresh fish).
    > >
    > > This is, by far, the coolest sentence I've read in three weeks.
    > >
    > > If you play Deamonhunters\Witchhunters it would give a whole new meaning to
    > > "Holy Mackerel".
    >
    > I was thinking Jim should take up playing a Nurgle force.

    I actually considered that at one time. I also considered using Skaven as
    Chaos Cultists...

    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4,155th of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "There is only one way to find out if a man is honest...ask him. If he says
    'yes', you know he is crooked." -- Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Qrab entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
    > said...
    >
    >> In article <tQEGd.7720$nt.638@fed1read06>,
    >> "Wonder Pony" <smcdaniel1@cox.noway.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Ancient Gamer" <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

    >> > This is, by far, the coolest sentence I've read in three weeks.
    >> >
    >> > If you play Deamonhunters\Witchhunters it would give a whole new
    >> > meaning to
    >> > "Holy Mackerel".
    >>
    >> I was thinking Jim should take up playing a Nurgle force.
    >>

    > I actually considered that at one time. I also considered using Skaven as
    > Chaos Cultists...

    Considered it, I thought you were Nurgles older taller brother?

    --
    estarriol
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    estarriol entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
    said...

    > "Ancient Gamer" <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Qrab entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
    > > said...

    > >> I was thinking Jim should take up playing a Nurgle force.
    > >>

    > > I actually considered that at one time. I also considered using Skaven as
    > > Chaos Cultists...
    > >
    > Considered it, I thought you were Nurgles older taller brother?

    Nah, I'm the one with the bar of soap (and I'm not afraid to use it either)!

    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4,159th of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." --
    Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Duke Merc Atreides" <dukemerc@(Delete if not spam)hotmail.com> ha scritto
    nel messaggio news:NACEd.568$SN.244@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
    > hi, im looking to create a desert board that is portable, but firm and
    > stable, and easy to make.

    Hi, go to http://www.betasom.altervista.org/cd3/sommario/sommario.htm and
    look at the photos.
    You can see a modular hexagonal system in polistyrene. Desert sand is made
    with dust of hammered brick, then sifted by flour sieve.
    Each hexagon, 6" side to side, is fixed on a styrofoam board with one or
    two tailor pins.
    You can put all hexs in a cardboard box when dismounted. Sorry for italian
    text only.
    Let me know what you think about.
    Gian

Games Video Games