Upgraded RAM & Virtual Memory Issues

Francophone

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I upgraded the RAM in my computer from 512MB to 1024. I spoke w/the manufacturer help desk and they never mentioned "virtual memory". I increased the virtual memory, but my system is still sluggish and I will occasionally get "virtual memory running low messages".

In addition to virtual memory adjustment, are there any other changes to my computer I need to make after having installed the extra RAM?

No gaming or video editing, I am a student and do a lot of research, will usually have several applications such as Nexis open at once.

Dell Dimension
Windows XP Home
2.4 ghz

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
How many applications are running in the background and how many do you normally have open?

Also, how much free space is there on your hard drive?

:)

Got a LAN Party that you want people to know about?

Let me know about it. :smile:

Hatphones

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
it might be a problem with one of apps you are running, but you should still make sure , in your bios and under sys info, that the full 1024 is being used, and if you are running a dual channel chipset, be sure they are in the correct slots and set to utilize dual channel. with 1gb you shouldn't ever Really need more than 1GB of virtual memory. ever. but as wusy said, it could be a coding problem within one of your programs *cough* opera *cough*.

There is no patch for human stupidity

G

here's something intersting
Fix a memory leak in Firefox 1.0
Firefox is supposed to dynamically release memory from its RAM cache to other Windows applications as needed. Unfortunately, Firefox 1.0 seems to consume more memory than it should, which hurts performance, when set to the default of 51200 KB (51 MB).

To solve this, Firefox power users recommend limiting the memory cache using the Configuration Console. This frees up memory for other apps, speeding up everything to a greater or a lesser extent, depending on your machine and the applications you run. Here's how the trick works:

Step 1. Type about:config into Firefox's Address Bar and press Enter.

Step 2. Right-click any row, then click New, Integer. Type or paste the following preference name into the dialog box that appears (this is a hidden preference that doesn't exist in the Configuration Console until you create it):

browser.cache.memory.capacity

Step 3. Click OK, then enter the following integer number into the next dialog box, representing 16 MB of RAM for the cache:

Step 4. Click OK to close the dialog box, then close all instances of Firefox and restart it.

For a lengthy discussion of this option, see Mozillazine's forum topic .
<A HREF="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=172041" target="_new">http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=172041</A>

It might not help but its still interesting...
If it use that much memory VM must be pretty high too.
Also you can add a column in the processus tab of the task manager to see how much Virtual Memory each process is taking you can probly identify the faulty application and take proprer mesure

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0