Recovery of Encrypted files. help

Hi

This is a follow up to the thread
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=baad2aac-6de8-45f9-bcee-ca17ed554d24&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

I backed up my entire c disk, including some
encrypted files. It is restore time. I managed to restore the non-encrypted
docs on another machine. But I cant open the encrypted files.

Follow up:
After long work I can get access to the hard disk (using OS on a CD). Is
there is way to get the private key/registry information/other and decrypt
the encrypted files?

Thanks

koby wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is a follow up to the thread
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=baad2aac-6de8-45f9-bcee-ca17ed554d24&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
>
> I backed up my entire c disk, including some
> encrypted files. It is restore time. I managed to restore the non-encrypted
> docs on another machine. But I cant open the encrypted files.
>
> Follow up:
> After long work I can get access to the hard disk (using OS on a CD). Is
> there is way to get the private key/registry information/other and decrypt
> the encrypted files?
>
> Thanks
Hi,

If you can obtain some files from the user profile folders for the
user that encrypted the files and if you remember the password for the
user when the backup was taken, you might be able to save the files.

Take a look at this site for more details:

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: