Need help with new Seagate Barracuda drive

pan0phobik

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
So I just bought 2 Seagate Barracuda 300GB Ultra ATA drives. I'm using 1 as an internal data drive for my computer and the other is going to be turned into an external drive later on.

Here's my system specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2
1gb DDR RAM
2 Western Digital Raptor 740GD Drives in RAID 0 (This has my windows XP install on it)
Plextor 712-A DVD Burner
AMD 64 3500+
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
BFG Tech. GeForce 6800 Ultra OC

The model of the drive is ST3300831A

My problem is that I'm not getting this drive to show up at all... after hours of messing around I eventually got the model to show up in BIOS after hooking it into my secondary IDE channel. I guess it was having problems being in the same IDE string as my DVDRW drive.

Anyway. The model shows up in BIOS on the secondary master channel but it only shows up as a 136gb drive. (It's 300gb). This, ironically, is the same size as my 2 raptor drives added together... so this makes me think the issues might be related some how.

Anyone have any ideas that could help me out?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you put two devices on one IDE cable make sure one is set to master and one is set to slave. That motherboard should be new enough to figure out a hard drive that is over 137gb. If there is a bios update out give that a try. Check the hard drives jumpers too, sometimes there is an option to cut down the size of the drive using jumpers.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>