'Naked boot' in Windows XP?

July 25, 2005 11:07:11 AM

In Windows 98, if I wanted to marshall maximum resources for a single
computation-intensive task (and I was physically disconnected from the net) I
would do a 'naked boot'.

Is there an XP equivalent?

More about : naked boot windows

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:22:03 PM

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"B. Chernick" wrote:

| In Windows 98, if I wanted to marshall maximum resources for a single
| computation-intensive task (and I was physically disconnected from the net) I
| would do a 'naked boot'.
|
| Is there an XP equivalent?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:22:04 PM

In that case, is it possible to create a duplicate of my admin account and
leave it in a permanent state of 'clean boot', or does meddling with msconfig
affect all accounts simultaneously?

(As you may have guessed, I am not much of a sysadmin.)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "B. Chernick" wrote:
>
> | In Windows 98, if I wanted to marshall maximum resources for a single
> | computation-intensive task (and I was physically disconnected from the net) I
> | would do a 'naked boot'.
> |
> | Is there an XP equivalent?

July 25, 2005 3:12:25 PM

Type "Hardware Profile" in help and support. Does that help you?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In that case, is it possible to create a duplicate of my admin account and
> leave it in a permanent state of 'clean boot', or does meddling with
> msconfig
> affect all accounts simultaneously?
>
> (As you may have guessed, I am not much of a sysadmin.)
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

>> "B. Chernick" wrote:
>>
>> | In Windows 98, if I wanted to marshall maximum resources for a single
>> | computation-intensive task (and I was physically disconnected from the
>> net) I
>> | would do a 'naked boot'.
>> |
>> | Is there an XP equivalent?

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:12:26 PM

Thanks. I'll have to think about this.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Type "Hardware Profile" in help and support. Does that help you?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In that case, is it possible to create a duplicate of my admin account and
> > leave it in a permanent state of 'clean boot', or does meddling with
> > msconfig
> > affect all accounts simultaneously?
> >
> > (As you may have guessed, I am not much of a sysadmin.)
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >> net) I

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:16:30 PM

"B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 18D18BF-311B-4F34-8B52-C63713C7E61C@microsoft.com...
> In Windows 98, if I wanted to marshall maximum resources for a single
> computation-intensive task (and I was physically disconnected from the
> net) I
> would do a 'naked boot'.
>
> Is there an XP equivalent?

In addition to clean boot, you may want to consider using Device Manager to
create different hardware profiles.

Don
!