128x4 memory question

ebs231

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001
Hi,
I just ordered a stick of generic 1gb ddr pc3200 128x4. While I assume this will work fine with my new ECS 755-A2 motherboard (which has a SiS 755 chipset), the seller warned me about the possibility that some motherboards only accept 64x8 type ram.

I can't seem to find a clear answer about this, so I just wanted to confirm that 128x4 type ram will indeed work with this
motherboard.

Thanks for any help.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
128Mx4 chip configuration is mainly used for server systems and typically this type of module is a REGISTERED module. Still, 128Mx4 can work in desktop systems. However, there are some systems that may have a problem with the higher memory density (128M vs. 64M). Hopefully, you have some kind of warranty on the module in case it doesnt work.

Note: There are many ways to build 1GB modules. 64x8 is a more popular solution.

Furthermore, 128Mx4 is used for REGISTERED modules because 18 chips of 128Mx4 combine into a single bank, even though the module is double-sided. And in many cases, some systems are particular about the number of banks.. the idea is to have the highest possible memory size with the fewest number of banks.

1GB built using 18 chips of 64Mx8 is two banks. That's the main difference.

Make sure your modules is an UNBUFFERED DIMM and not a REGISTERED DIMM. A registered DIMM will typically only work in a server board.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<font color=white>