Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Activation in Different Language

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi!

Together with my recently bought new PC I received
a *German* Windows XP Home.

Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?

Regards,
Tobias

More about : activation language

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:14:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tobias Besch" wrote:

| Hi!
|
| Together with my recently bought new PC I received
| a *German* Windows XP Home.
|
| Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
| and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?
|
| Regards,
| Tobias
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:14:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tobias Besch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
> a *German* Windows XP Home.
>
> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?

The English Version probably won't except the German Product Key.
Whether it is "LEGAL" or not is unanswerable as a fact, since this is a
matter of interpreting the EULA, and only a court can do that, not you,
not MS, and certainly not Carey or Detlev.

Basically, the people that told you a definitive "No" are lying, as they
don't know it for a fact that they can prove, and yet they were so
definitive in telling you "No" without being able to prove it as a fact.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Related resources
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:14:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi, Tobias.

> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
> a *German* Windows XP Home.

Your statement is ambiguous. :>(

Was your German WinXP pre-installed on the computer, or did you receive it
as a retail CD-ROM for installation after purchase? We assume that it was
pre-installed, but the other interpretation is possible.

> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?

If you buy an English version of the retail WinXP package, you should be
able to install it on your computer, but you will use the Product Key from
your retail CD, not the key that came with your PC.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Tobias Besch" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3kkad8Fuh17lU1@individual.net...
> Hi!
>
> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
> a *German* Windows XP Home.
>
> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?
>
> Regards,
> Tobias
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:31:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Tobias Besch <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
> a *German* Windows XP Home.
>
> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?

Nope.

--
d-d
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
>> a *German* Windows XP Home.
>>
>> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
>> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?
>
> The English Version probably won't except the German Product Key.

It won't *accept* the German Product Key (and vice versa). You cannot
use or transfer the Product Key from one language version to another.

> Basically, the people that told you a definitive "No" are lying, as
> they don't know it for a fact that they can prove,

Why don't you try it out.

--
d-d
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Detlev Dreyer wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
>>> a *German* Windows XP Home.
>>>
>>> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
>>> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?
>>
>> The English Version probably won't except the German Product Key.
>
> It won't *accept* the German Product Key (and vice versa). You cannot
> use or transfer the Product Key from one language version to another.

I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know that for a fact, so I said it
as a probably. Have you tried it yourself, or are you just repeating
what you have heard?

>
>> Basically, the people that told you a definitive "No" are lying, as
>> they don't know it for a fact that they can prove,
>
> Why don't you try it out.

MS won't sue me because they have no balls.

I don't need to sue them to exercise my "fair use" rights to my copies
of software. MS has to sue me to stop me, if they believe my use
violates their legally unsubstantiated interpretation of the EULA terms.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:28:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>>> The English Version probably won't except the German Product Key.
>>
>> It won't *accept* the German Product Key (and vice versa). You cannot
>> use or transfer the Product Key from one language version to another.
>
> I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know that for a fact, so I said
> it as a probably. Have you tried it yourself,

Sure, using different WinXP language versions including English and
German. Otherwise, I wouldn't post to this thread. Note that this is
not a chat room.

> I don't need to sue them to exercise my "fair use" rights to my copies
> of software. MS has to sue me to stop me, if they believe my use
> violates their legally unsubstantiated interpretation of the EULA terms.

The OP's question was "Bool AND". If one condition ("possible") doesn't
apply, the other condition ("legal") doesn't matter. Note that foreign
law which may apply and the EULA are not subject to be discussed in
international newsgroups. Unless you're an international lawyer and
focussed on this field, the blind man is talking about the color.

--
d-d
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:28:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Detlev Dreyer wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>>> The English Version probably won't except the German Product Key.
>>>
>>> It won't *accept* the German Product Key (and vice versa). You
>>> cannot use or transfer the Product Key from one language version to
>>> another.
>>
>> I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know that for a fact, so I said
>> it as a probably. Have you tried it yourself,
>
> Sure, using different WinXP language versions including English and
> German. Otherwise, I wouldn't post to this thread. Note that this is
> not a chat room.

I've been posting here longer than you, so I know better than you what
this is and isn't.

And you didn't totally answer me, Have you tried to install one language
version with another language version key. Your answer seems to suggest
USING different language version for computing, and nothing in your
answer suggests that you used one one language version to install with
another language versions Product Key.

>
>> I don't need to sue them to exercise my "fair use" rights to my
>> copies of software. MS has to sue me to stop me, if they believe my
>> use violates their legally unsubstantiated interpretation of the
>> EULA terms.
>
> The OP's question was "Bool AND". If one condition ("possible")
> doesn't apply, the other condition ("legal") doesn't matter.

Who are you to say that?! The OP wouldn't have ask it if it didn't
matter. This is not a search engine query.

> Note
> that foreign law which may apply and the EULA are not subject to be
> discussed in international newsgroups. Unless you're an international
> lawyer and focussed on this field, the blind man is talking about the
> color.

And I didn't answer whether it was legal or not, only that you morons
were lying with your definitive answers. As you say, the laws where the
OP lives may be different. So liar, please keep on trying to spin your
lie of "Nope."

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
July 25, 2005 10:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote
> Hi, Tobias.
>
>> Together with my recently bought new PC I received
>> a *German* Windows XP Home.
>
> Your statement is ambiguous. :>(
>
> Was your German WinXP pre-installed on the computer, or did you receive it
> as a retail CD-ROM for installation after purchase? We assume that it was
> pre-installed, but the other interpretation is possible.
>
>> Is it possible and legal to install an *English* Windows XP Home
>> and activate it using the key I got when I bought my PC?
>
> If you buy an English version of the retail WinXP package, you should be
> able to install it on your computer, but you will use the Product Key from
> your retail CD, not the key that came with your PC.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP

An English version OEM XP will also work and would be *a lot* cheaper. I
have one on my HP that I bought in 2000. Works great.

--
Alias

Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:33:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

> I've been posting here longer than you, so I know better than you what
> this is and isn't.

Aha.

> And you didn't totally answer me, Have you tried to install one
> language version with another language version key.

Yes. What's so hard to understand.

>> The OP's question was "Bool AND". If one condition ("possible")
>> doesn't apply, the other condition ("legal") doesn't matter.
>
> Who are you to say that?! The OP wouldn't have ask it if it didn't
> matter. This is not a search engine query.

The question if this is legal can be answered by a lawyer only. It's no
good idea trying to clarify legal matters with the man on the street or
in public newsgroups.

> And I didn't answer whether it was legal or not, only that you morons
> were lying with your definitive answers. As you say, the laws where
> the OP lives may be different. So liar, please keep on trying to spin
> your lie of "Nope."

ROTFL! Running out of factual arguments?

--
d-d
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:33:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Detlev Dreyer wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>> I've been posting here longer than you, so I know better than you
>> what this is and isn't.
>
> Aha.
>
>> And you didn't totally answer me, Have you tried to install one
>> language version with another language version key.
>
> Yes. What's so hard to understand.

That you didn't say that you did try it, as I already explained, that
you snipped from you response without showing you snipped it.

>
>>> The OP's question was "Bool AND". If one condition ("possible")
>>> doesn't apply, the other condition ("legal") doesn't matter.
>>
>> Who are you to say that?! The OP wouldn't have ask it if it didn't
>> matter. This is not a search engine query.
>
> The question if this is legal can be answered by a lawyer only. It's
> no good idea trying to clarify legal matters with the man on the
> street or in public newsgroups.


Yet you answered a definitive "Nope," to the OP's question.

>
>> And I didn't answer whether it was legal or not, only that you morons
>> were lying with your definitive answers. As you say, the laws where
>> the OP lives may be different. So liar, please keep on trying to
>> spin your lie of "Nope."
>
> ROTFL! Running out of factual arguments?

I'm the only one that gave the only fact knowable that the courts need
to figure out the legality. You and Carey lied. So keep a laughing
your lying fool's laugh.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:18:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>>>> The OP's question was "Bool AND". If one condition ("possible")
>>>> doesn't apply, the other condition ("legal") doesn't matter.
>>>
>>> Who are you to say that?! The OP wouldn't have ask it if it didn't
>>> matter. This is not a search engine query.
>>
>> The question if this is legal can be answered by a lawyer only. It's
>> no good idea trying to clarify legal matters with the man on the
>> street or in public newsgroups.
>
> Yet you answered a definitive "Nope," to the OP's question.

Sure, and that answer is absolutely correct. It's like trying to pass
two locked gates. Even if the OP has the key for one of them ("legal
issue") and that's not for sure, he doesn't have the key for the other
gate ("Product Key"). So the answer to the question if he can pass both
gates (possible and legal) is "Nope". Has something to do with "Logic"
and trying to avoid any false hope that the OP can realize his project.
Time for EOD from my side.

--
d-d
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:18:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Detlev Dreyer wrote:

> Sure, and that answer is absolutely correct.

Not about the legally, it isn't.

> It's like trying to pass
> two locked gates. Even if the OP has the key for one of them ("legal
> issue") and that's not for sure, he doesn't have the key for the other
> gate ("Product Key"). So the answer to the question if he can pass
> both gates (possible and legal) is "Nope". Has something to do with
> "Logic" and trying to avoid any false hope that the OP can realize
> his project.

The first part may be technically "nope," but the second part is not.

It may be legal to use another English PK, and use the German PK as
proof of license, as long as the German copy of XP is not used.

So there goes you definitive nope.

>Time for EOD from my side.

Yes, it is time for you to run away.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:33:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> Time for EOD from my side.
>
> Yes, it is time for you to run away.

Dream on, troll.

--
d-d
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:33:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Detlev Dreyer wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>> Time for EOD from my side.
>>
>> Yes, it is time for you to run away.
>
> Dream on, troll.

So either you didn't mean End of Discussion when you used "EOD," or you
lied again.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
!