Sign in with
Your question
Solved

9600 gt GC Diy upgrade With compaq SR 5385 CF

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 17, 2010 3:10:07 AM

I was Told by the Hp engineer that i cannot anyhow upgrade my graphic card by plugging in to a branded computer .. Is this true?

More about : 9600 diy upgrade compaq 5385

Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2010 8:57:36 AM

I suppose that the HP guy is suggesting that the card has a unique connector (you should really give more detail in your posts or people have to speculate).

I would take the card to a computer retailer or repair guy and see what he says. Or photograph it and post the shot back here via PhotoBucket.
m
l
April 17, 2010 2:27:57 PM

Hmm i changed my psu with it too .. to provide The Optimal Watts and power. His point is That Branded coms cannot anyhow change the parts from its original or it may not work .. And also may void the warranty if the 3rd party fired the com
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2010 3:48:34 PM

The whole point of a desktop computer is that parts can be swapped in to upgrade or repair it. I've never heard of a desktop which wouldn't work with a replacement graphics card -- assuming the slots fit and you have the right drivers.

The only likely problem is with Windows. When you change too many parts it may start thinking you have tried to transfer that copy of Windows to a new machine. In that case you'll get warning messages and if you ring Microsoft and have your licence etc handy they will sort it out.
m
l
April 19, 2010 8:20:51 AM

so its nonsence that what he says ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2010 8:42:54 AM

Probably he was being ultra cautious so as not to have any comeback in case your computer goes wrong while changing parts.

I swear that Siemens/Fujitsu desktop computers sold by Comet used to have a sticker forbidding the buyer from opening the case on pain of losing the warranty.

The result was that my family member had to take back to Comet a computer which had merely suffered a clogged fan due to carpet fluff -- it took weeks for a Fujitsu engineer to go to Comet and deal with it when doing it oneself would have taken 5 minutes.

m
l
April 20, 2010 2:33:34 PM

Will the Rubber cabling melt that is connecting the card reader directly to the mainboard When it is below the fan of the psu?
m
l
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2010 5:00:52 PM

Below ? Do you mean in contact or just within an inch or so?

The processor heatsink shouldn't get too hot so long as the fan keeps working.
m
l
April 21, 2010 2:27:13 AM

huh ? it is under the power supply unit not the cpu .. it is just in contact with the fan but i adjust it to a inch or so already and open the casing because the casing cannot accomodate the heat generated by the video card and psu
m
l
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 2:38:09 AM

Sorry -- CPU, PSU (so many acronyms, so little time).

Perhaps the heat and space issues were what the HP guy was warning you about ?

m
l

Best solution

a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 2:40:32 AM

The HP guy was feeding you a line of BS. Take a look at your motherboard specs. As long as you have a PCIe (preferably x16) slot, your motherboard can support all of the newest video cards.

Then you'll want to measure how much room you have in your case to fit the video card. Some are longer than others.

Then you'll need a PSU that can support the added power requirements of the video card.
April 21, 2010 3:32:10 AM

My motherboard is 775 socket And a Q 6600 processor With now i add A 9600 gt with andyson G530 (530 watts)
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:33:05 AM

Line of Bullshit?
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:36:05 AM

Quote:
Sorry -- CPU, PSU (so many acronyms, so little time).

Perhaps the heat and space issues were what the HP guy was warning you about ?

Space is not a problem Because the card is not that long .. Heat Otherwise I open the casing it would be cool ~
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:38:02 AM

So it sounds like you have already upgraded the video card?
m
l
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:39:30 AM

Opening the case isn't always a good idea because the airflow will be different. For example, the PSU fan will only serve the PSU not the components inside the case.

Have a look at the layout as a whole and apply common sense.
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:40:55 AM

Yes .. It is working fine ... Only Sometimes The screen "Starting Windows " Gets stuck for 15 seconds and then it continues to Load
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:43:14 AM

Quote:
Opening the case isn't always a good idea because the airflow will be different. For example, the PSU fan will only serve the PSU not the components inside the case.

Have a look at the layout as a whole and apply common sense.

I notice the AirFlow By the fan of the psu Actually sucks in air to the interior of the casing and hence blow hot air inside . The heat would then clog up the whole casing and it would feel very hot just by touching the casing .
m
l
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:50:25 AM

Yes, some do that but there's usually a second fan which expels that air from the case -- it also serves the other components.

As I say, look at the computer as a whole and use your judgement.

My concern is a conversation with a friend who took the side off his computer and was adamant that this helped as the heat sensor on the case fan showed a lower temperature !!
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:50:40 AM

The PSU is designed to suck air in, and then expel it out the back of the case.
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:52:40 AM

aford10 said:
The PSU is designed to suck air in, and then expel it out the back of the case.

What the .. Mine doesnt does that .! It Blows go in :(  Wait a minute sorry i mistaken what u said .. But the opening is not enough to expel the air
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:54:35 AM

aford10 said:
Removing the side of the case may disrupt the designed airflow of the case. But many of these OEM cases are designed with such poor airflow, that removing the side of the case is far superior than the natural airflow. It allows the heat to rise, and exit, as well as cool air to enter.

haha! i agree ! So u recommend me to open the case?
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:54:39 AM

Removing the side of the case may disrupt the designed airflow of the case. But many of these OEM cases are designed with such poor airflow, that removing the side of the case is far superior than the natural airflow. It allows the heat to rise, and exit, as well as cool air to enter.
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:55:37 AM

Only if your temps are too high.

Download speedfan or realtemp. What are your temps?
m
l
April 21, 2010 3:56:34 AM

Temps are 60 + to 70 + On intensive Games for gpu and cpu is 70 +
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:59:52 AM

Your CPU shouldn't be that high. I'm assuming you are talking in Celsius?
m
l
April 21, 2010 4:46:18 AM

Yes. but the casing is warm / hot when i touch it after i game for an hour or so. it is on stock Heatsink
m
l
April 21, 2010 4:54:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, some do that but there's usually a second fan which expels that air from the case -- it also serves the other components.

As I say, look at the computer as a whole and use your judgement.

My concern is a conversation with a friend who took the side off his computer and was adamant that this helped as the heat sensor on the case fan showed a lower temperature !!

some sensors are not accurate haha .. my compaq pc Second fan is designed and built just beside the cpu heat sink ( heat sink has its own fan) on the casing and it is thermal controlled by the mobo. but it does not serve as a heat expelling fan for the gpu instead mainly for cpu and the surrounding components . furthermore the Stock Psu that came with this pc BLOW air out of the casing ( omg rite ?) . So It really made me regret buying a branded com
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:14:18 AM

If your CPU temps are 70+, remove the side of the case. This should help alleviate the high temps. For a long term solution, a better cpu cooler, or better chassis fan setup would help.
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:17:52 AM

aford10 said:
If your CPU temps are 70+, remove the side of the case. This should help alleviate the high temps. For a long term solution, a better cpu cooler, or better chassis fan setup would help.

would it damage the cpu long term at 70 + ?
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:20:10 AM

my pc acutally came with a gpu geforce 7500 Le .. after a while it is fried under normal use and then warranty under hp .. they change the card to geforce 8400...
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:22:42 AM

Temps that high can damage or shorten the life of your CPU. It's important to get those temps down one way or another.
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:24:38 AM

I called hp and they said 70 + temps Are NORMAL . lol! and they said 90 is the fatal point. Sorry that i keep mention about hp but it is really sadded that information given by them are inaccurate from gamers point of view
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:47:05 AM

That's complete garbage. If they tell you that, I would document that, and get some sort of guarantee. CPUs aren't designed to run that hot. It is going to kill your CPU.
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:51:28 AM

But idle is around 55 temp .. is that also too hot ?
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:53:29 AM

omg ? I m in singapore TT 35 is impossible
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:54:15 AM

Good idle temps are ~35C. Load temps shouldn't exceed 65-70C.
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:58:16 AM

If you have a good case, with good thermal paste, it's very much feasible.
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:59:33 AM

Surrounding Comes into play .. Am i right ?
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 6:09:17 AM

Yes, the ambient temperature of the room does play a role.
m
l
April 21, 2010 6:15:31 AM

My room i dont usually turn on the air conditioning and Also has no air ventilation so it does makes sense that the idle temp when i just turn on is 40 + and raise to 55 after a while ?
m
l
April 21, 2010 6:51:26 AM

How would i know That my TJMAX is 100 ? or 85?
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 2:12:26 PM

I think that is listed in CoreTemp. Try downloading that program.
www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
m
l
April 21, 2010 2:14:45 PM

ok i rechecked . I opened the cpu casing and the max temp for intensive game is below 70 C hahaha!
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 2:19:40 PM

If you haven't done it in a while, try blowing the case and fans out with a can of duster. That should help some.
m
l
April 21, 2010 2:21:47 PM

Best answer selected by weiquan571.
m
l
April 21, 2010 2:22:42 PM

Thanks for your time :) 
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 2:24:02 PM

Happy to help.

Thanks for the vote :) 
m
l
April 23, 2010 12:53:46 PM

I got One more Question , Will the rubber Cable melt That is connecting the Card reader and switches To the motherboard When the heat builds up in the casing?
m
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 12:59:19 PM

Not a chance. Your CPU would overheat and shutdown the PC before it could get that hot in there.

Just keep an eye on your system temps if you're concerned.
m
l
!