Re-activatin request

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 25, 2005 12:25:02 PM

I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that I
reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in my
hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?

Don

More about : activatin request

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:45:31 PM

Hi, Don.

It may well be legitimate, as the others have said. For an official
explanation, see this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that
> reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in
> my
> hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
>
> Don
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:45:32 PM

Thanks! I wil check that out.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Don.
>
> It may well be legitimate, as the others have said. For an official
> explanation, see this page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that
> > reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in
> > my
> > hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
> >
> > Don

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:36:13 PM

Microsoft would "not" ask you this. However, XP will ask you to re-activate
if there has been numerious hardware changes. This is because the hardware
has changed enough that Product Activation has determined that the hardware
is not the original used to generate the activation request. If it has been
more than 120 day since the last time you done this, you should be able to
re-activate over the Internet, unless you have an OEM version from Dell, HP,
Gateway or any larger PC makers. MS requires these large PC makers to get
the XP activated by phone only.

You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone. However, if you
have a generic OEM version, you can normally only re-activate it if it is
still on the same PC (motherboard) that is was first installed on.

"Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that
> reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in
> my
> hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
>
> Don

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:36:14 PM

Thanks. i will explore this further.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Microsoft would "not" ask you this. However, XP will ask you to re-activate
> if there has been numerious hardware changes. This is because the hardware
> has changed enough that Product Activation has determined that the hardware
> is not the original used to generate the activation request. If it has been
> more than 120 day since the last time you done this, you should be able to
> re-activate over the Internet, unless you have an OEM version from Dell, HP,
> Gateway or any larger PC makers. MS requires these large PC makers to get
> the XP activated by phone only.
>
> You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone. However, if you
> have a generic OEM version, you can normally only re-activate it if it is
> still on the same PC (motherboard) that is was first installed on.
>

> "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that
> > reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in
> > my
> > hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
> >
> > Don

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:37:12 PM

Don1157 wrote:
> I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that
> requests that I reactivate windows XP within three days because there
> has been changes in my hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask
> for that?
>
> Don

1.) Because there have been hardware changes to your computer.

2.) Because MS's copy-protection has flaked out on your computer.

Copy-protection code is malware that is added by the manufacturer.
Copy-protection does absolutely NOTHING good for the end user. All it
does is f*#k up for the end user.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Thanks!

"kurttrail" wrote:

> Don1157 wrote:
> > I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that
> > requests that I reactivate windows XP within three days because there
> > has been changes in my hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask
> > for that?
> >
> > Don
>
> 1.) Because there have been hardware changes to your computer.
>
> 2.) Because MS's copy-protection has flaked out on your computer.
>
> Copy-protection code is malware that is added by the manufacturer.
> Copy-protection does absolutely NOTHING good for the end user. All it
> does is f*#k up for the end user.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

July 25, 2005 8:17:10 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:25:02 -0700, "Don1157"
<Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that I
>reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in my
>hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
>
>Don

I had the same thing happen to me not long ago and it happened after I
installed the latest version of Winamp. After I installed Winamp it
said I needed to reboot my PC and upon reboot I got the same 3 day
activation notice due to significant hardware changes. I phoned
Microsoft to activate and they just blamed my hardware for it even
though I made no hardware changes. I emailed Winamp about the issue
and they never responded - bastages.
There was no spyware or adware on my PC - I keep my PC clean. Only
thing I can think that may have triggered it besides Winamp is that I
was playing a Starforce copy protected game just prior to installing
Winamp. Starforce is some nasty stuff and installs hidden drivers and
does a hardware check. On this particular game session I remember it
had a hard time reading the DVD. Winamp has never asked me to reboot
after an install in the past so that si supiscious too. Anyway, it's
weird that it happened but it's no virus.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:17:11 PM

So they had to reactivate it when you called? Thanks for responding!

"Fisher" wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:25:02 -0700, "Don1157"
> <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that I
> >reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in my
> >hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
> >
> >Don
>
> I had the same thing happen to me not long ago and it happened after I
> installed the latest version of Winamp. After I installed Winamp it
> said I needed to reboot my PC and upon reboot I got the same 3 day
> activation notice due to significant hardware changes. I phoned
> Microsoft to activate and they just blamed my hardware for it even
> though I made no hardware changes. I emailed Winamp about the issue
> and they never responded - bastages.
> There was no spyware or adware on my PC - I keep my PC clean. Only
> thing I can think that may have triggered it besides Winamp is that I
> was playing a Starforce copy protected game just prior to installing
> Winamp. Starforce is some nasty stuff and installs hidden drivers and
> does a hardware check. On this particular game session I remember it
> had a hard time reading the DVD. Winamp has never asked me to reboot
> after an install in the past so that si supiscious too. Anyway, it's
> weird that it happened but it's no virus.

July 25, 2005 8:22:45 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:45:31 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net>
wrote:

>Hi, Don.
>
>It may well be legitimate, as the others have said. For an official
>explanation, see this page:
>http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx
>
>RC

Yea, but you are supposed to be given 10 days to activate and not just
3. I got the same 3 day bullshit activation alarm after just
installing Winamp and not making any hardware changes not too long
ago. The dork at Microsoft tried to blame my hardware for the
activation alarm even though I had the same hardware in the machine
for over a year.
July 25, 2005 9:35:38 PM

"Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that
> reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in
> my
> hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
>
> Don

Have you changed any hardware? If you changed enough, yes, you will have to
reactivate and, yes, MS would be behind it.

Is it a box or a comic book like balloon in your system tray (near the
clock)?

If you've changed hardware and if it is a balloon, all you need to do is
activate again. If you haven't changed any hardware and if it really is a
"box", you may very well have some crudware.

--
Alias

July 25, 2005 9:35:39 PM

There has been changes, yes, but not significant changes in the near past.
It shows up as a box at first, then shows up on the task bar with an icon and
a box again.

"Alias" wrote:

> "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that
> > reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in
> > my
> > hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
> >
> > Don
>
> Have you changed any hardware? If you changed enough, yes, you will have to
> reactivate and, yes, MS would be behind it.
>
> Is it a box or a comic book like balloon in your system tray (near the
> clock)?
>
> If you've changed hardware and if it is a balloon, all you need to do is
> activate again. If you haven't changed any hardware and if it really is a
> "box", you may very well have some crudware.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

July 25, 2005 9:47:47 PM

"Yves Leclerc" wrote

> You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone. However, if you
> have a generic OEM version, you can normally only re-activate it if it is
> still on the same PC (motherboard) that is was first installed on.

Not true. I have three OEMs, one Home in Spanish, two Pros, one English and
the other Spanish. None of the EULAs say *anything* about a motherboard. The
word that is used is "hardware". I have already reactivated one online after
changing the NIC, added RAM, new video card and a new, faster processor with
no problems. MS does not define what the "same computer" is or how it can be
upgraded or changed to the point that it is not the same computer but a new
one. I plan to upgrade one of my computer's motherboard so it can handle
AGP8x as it now can only handle AGP4x. I also plan to change the NIC, change
the RAM from 266 to 333 and put a faster processor in it. I don't plan to
have any problems activating either.

Oh, and please don't trot out that web site that says motherboard as it is
not applicable to home users, only developers.

--
Alias

July 25, 2005 9:47:48 PM

I certainly have not changed anything to that extent. Gracias!

"Alias" wrote:

> "Yves Leclerc" wrote
>

> > You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone. However, if you
> > have a generic OEM version, you can normally only re-activate it if it is
> > still on the same PC (motherboard) that is was first installed on.
>
> Not true. I have three OEMs, one Home in Spanish, two Pros, one English and
> the other Spanish. None of the EULAs say *anything* about a motherboard. The
> word that is used is "hardware". I have already reactivated one online after
> changing the NIC, added RAM, new video card and a new, faster processor with
> no problems. MS does not define what the "same computer" is or how it can be
> upgraded or changed to the point that it is not the same computer but a new
> one. I plan to upgrade one of my computer's motherboard so it can handle
> AGP8x as it now can only handle AGP4x. I also plan to change the NIC, change
> the RAM from 266 to 333 and put a faster processor in it. I don't plan to
> have any problems activating either.
>
> Oh, and please don't trot out that web site that says motherboard as it is
> not applicable to home users, only developers.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:47:48 PM

True, people have "moved" an OEM XP to a new motherboard. However, MS deems
this as a "new" PC and the EULA states that the OEM can not be transferred
for one PC to another.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Yves Leclerc" wrote
>

>> You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone. However, if you
>> have a generic OEM version, you can normally only re-activate it if it is
>> still on the same PC (motherboard) that is was first installed on.
>
> Not true. I have three OEMs, one Home in Spanish, two Pros, one English
> and the other Spanish. None of the EULAs say *anything* about a
> motherboard. The word that is used is "hardware". I have already
> reactivated one online after changing the NIC, added RAM, new video card
> and a new, faster processor with no problems. MS does not define what the
> "same computer" is or how it can be upgraded or changed to the point that
> it is not the same computer but a new one. I plan to upgrade one of my
> computer's motherboard so it can handle AGP8x as it now can only handle
> AGP4x. I also plan to change the NIC, change the RAM from 266 to 333 and
> put a faster processor in it. I don't plan to have any problems activating
> either.
>
> Oh, and please don't trot out that web site that says motherboard as it is
> not applicable to home users, only developers.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:47:49 PM

In news:o onSSpUkFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Yves Leclerc <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> typed:

> True, people have "moved" an OEM XP to a new motherboard.
> However,
> MS deems this as a "new" PC

There may be individuals at Microsoft who deem it a new PC, but
as Alias says, it is not stated in the EULA. Even if Microsoft
officially stated somewhere that a new motherboard was equivalent
to a new computer (and they don't), it wouldn't be binding on the
customer. Only the EULA is binding, and that unfortunately leaves
lots of room for interpretation.

As I've said here before, since it's Microsoft's requirement that
the COA be affixed to the *case*, absurd as it may sound, one
might be able to successfully argue in court (if it ever came to
that), that it's the case that constitutes the computer, and as
long as you don't change the case, it's the same computer.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> and the EULA states that the OEM can not
> be transferred for one PC to another.
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Yves Leclerc" wrote
>>

>>> You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone.
>>> However,
>>> if you have a generic OEM version, you can normally only
>>> re-activate it if it is still on the same PC (motherboard)
>>> that is
>>> was first installed on.
>>
>> Not true. I have three OEMs, one Home in Spanish, two Pros,
>> one
>> English and the other Spanish. None of the EULAs say
>> *anything*
>> about a motherboard. The word that is used is "hardware". I
>> have
>> already reactivated one online after changing the NIC, added
>> RAM,
>> new video card and a new, faster processor with no problems.
>> MS does
>> not define what the "same computer" is or how it can be
>> upgraded or
>> changed to the point that it is not the same computer but a
>> new one.
>> I plan to upgrade one of my computer's motherboard so it can
>> handle
>> AGP8x as it now can only handle AGP4x. I also plan to change
>> the
>> NIC, change the RAM from 266 to 333 and put a faster processor
>> in
>> it. I don't plan to have any problems activating either.
>>
>> Oh, and please don't trot out that web site that says
>> motherboard as
>> it is not applicable to home users, only developers.
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to
>> email
>> me. Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
July 25, 2005 9:51:57 PM

Sounds like crudware. I would run your AV and spyware removal programs like
Spybot and Adaware. Do it in Safe Mode.

--
Alias

"Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> There has been changes, yes, but not significant changes in the near past.
> It shows up as a box at first, then shows up on the task bar with an icon
> and
> a box again.
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>

>> "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests
>> >that
>> > reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes
>> > in
>> > my
>> > hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
>> >
>> > Don
>>
>> Have you changed any hardware? If you changed enough, yes, you will have
>> reactivate and, yes, MS would be behind it.
>>
>> Is it a box or a comic book like balloon in your system tray (near the
>> clock)?
>>
>> If you've changed hardware and if it is a balloon, all you need to do is
>> activate again. If you haven't changed any hardware and if it really is a
>> "box", you may very well have some crudware.
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:51:58 PM

Again, Gracias!

"Alias" wrote:

> Sounds like crudware. I would run your AV and spyware removal programs like
> Spybot and Adaware. Do it in Safe Mode.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>
> "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > There has been changes, yes, but not significant changes in the near past.
> > It shows up as a box at first, then shows up on the task bar with an icon
> > and
> > a box again.
> >
> > "Alias" wrote:
> >

> >> "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> >> Have you changed any hardware? If you changed enough, yes, you will have
> >> reactivate and, yes, MS would be behind it.
> >>
> >> Is it a box or a comic book like balloon in your system tray (near the
> >> clock)?
> >>
> >> If you've changed hardware and if it is a balloon, all you need to do is
> >> activate again. If you haven't changed any hardware and if it really is a
> >> "box", you may very well have some crudware.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alias
> >>
> >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

July 25, 2005 10:07:43 PM

De nada.

--
Alias

"Don1157" wrote

>I certainly have not changed anything to that extent. Gracias!
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>

>> "Yves Leclerc" wrote
>>

>> > You can always re-activate your XP by Internet or phone. However, if
>> > you
>> > have a generic OEM version, you can normally only re-activate it if it
>> > is
>> > still on the same PC (motherboard) that is was first installed on.
>>
>> Not true. I have three OEMs, one Home in Spanish, two Pros, one English
>> and
>> the other Spanish. None of the EULAs say *anything* about a motherboard.
>> The
>> word that is used is "hardware". I have already reactivated one online
>> after
>> changing the NIC, added RAM, new video card and a new, faster processor
>> with
>> no problems. MS does not define what the "same computer" is or how it can
>> be
>> upgraded or changed to the point that it is not the same computer but a
>> new
>> one. I plan to upgrade one of my computer's motherboard so it can handle
>> AGP8x as it now can only handle AGP4x. I also plan to change the NIC,
>> change
>> the RAM from 266 to 333 and put a faster processor in it. I don't plan to
>> have any problems activating either.
>>
>> Oh, and please don't trot out that web site that says motherboard as it
>> is
>> not applicable to home users, only developers.
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

July 25, 2005 10:15:17 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:28:03 -0700, "Don1157"
<Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So they had to reactivate it when you called? Thanks for responding!

Yes, had to reactivate. Changed my video card two weeks back and
didn't get flagged to reactivate. I have a friend with an OEM copy of
XP Home and he's been flagged to activate many times when changing
hardware. I've never been flagged to activate when changing hardware
(my copy is retail), except this time I mentioned and when doing a
fresh install of XP, of course.
!