My home network involves three systems: desktop with XP Home, desktop with XP
Pro (Simple File Sharing turned on) and laptop with XP Home. All three are SP2
and are kept current with updates. Interconnection is through a wired router.

All three systems have been working flawlessly, but the desktops suddenly became
unable to acess the shared drive on the laptop. I get the following error
message:

"[drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permission.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

There have been no changes to any systems involved except for XP updates since
the time everything worked properly. While I don't need to access laptop files
from another computer very often (transfer is more often TO the laptop), I'm
positive I've done it since I installed SP2.

The problem appears to be in the laptop since I connected it to a friend's
network that was set up specifically to accommodate my laptop, and his computer
couldn't see files on the laptop either. The same error message I get popped
up. His system is also SP2 and current with updates.

The laptop can see and access shared drives on all other network computers,
however. It can also access the Internet through the router. The other two
systems on my network can freely access files between themselves in both
directions with no problem.

I've checked virtual memory settings to make sure they are correct. RAM reports
OK. There are no cable problems. The Windows firewall is turned off on all
involved systems. I checked everything out with NAV turned off, but that made
no difference. Setting up the network again didn't help. I turned off sharing
and then reset it on the appropriate laptop drive just in case permissions had
become corrupted. That did no good, but I really didn't expect it to since
"Shared Docs" can't be accessed either.

Thanks for any ideas on solving this stubborn problem.

ChrisM

Malke

Chris May wrote:

> My home network involves three systems: desktop with XP Home, desktop
> with XP
> Pro (Simple File Sharing turned on) and laptop with XP Home. All
> three are SP2
> and are kept current with updates. Interconnection is through a wired
> router.
>
> All three systems have been working flawlessly, but the desktops
> suddenly became
> unable to acess the shared drive on the laptop. I get the following
> error message:
>
> "[drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network
> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permission.
>
> Not enough server storage is available to process this command."
>
> There have been no changes to any systems involved except for XP
> updates since
> the time everything worked properly. While I don't need to access
> laptop files from another computer very often (transfer is more often
> TO the laptop), I'm positive I've done it since I installed SP2.
>
> The problem appears to be in the laptop since I connected it to a
> friend's network that was set up specifically to accommodate my
> laptop, and his computer
> couldn't see files on the laptop either. The same error message I get
> popped
> up. His system is also SP2 and current with updates.
>
> The laptop can see and access shared drives on all other network
> computers,
> however. It can also access the Internet through the router. The
> other two systems on my network can freely access files between
> themselves in both directions with no problem.
>
> I've checked virtual memory settings to make sure they are correct.
> RAM reports
> OK. There are no cable problems. The Windows firewall is turned off
> on all
> involved systems. I checked everything out with NAV turned off, but
> that made
> no difference. Setting up the network again didn't help. I turned
> off sharing and then reset it on the appropriate laptop drive just in
> case permissions had
> become corrupted. That did no good, but I really didn't expect it to
> since "Shared Docs" can't be accessed either.

Here is information on this error from MVP Hans-Georg Michna:

This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug.
The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to, not the
machine where you see the error message. On the computer you are
attempting to connect to, check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.

Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize

On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the IRPStackSize
back to the default (15 ). Perform the following steps:

1. Start regedit.
2. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't
exist, create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
5. Reboot the computer.

Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article about
this, too:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:38:40 -0700, Malke pondered exceedingly, then took quill
in hand and carefully composed...

| Chris May wrote:
|
| > My home network involves three systems: desktop with XP Home, desktop
| > with XP
| > Pro (Simple File Sharing turned on) and laptop with XP Home. All
| > three are SP2
| > and are kept current with updates. Interconnection is through a wired
| > router.
| >
| > All three systems have been working flawlessly, but the desktops
| > suddenly became
| > unable to acess the shared drive on the laptop. I get the following
| > error message:
| >
| > "[drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
| > network
| > resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
| > have access permission.
| >
| > Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

| Here is information on this error from MVP Hans-Georg Michna:
|
| This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug.
| The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to, not the
| machine where you see the error message. On the computer you are
| attempting to connect to, check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.
|
| Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize
|
| On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the IRPStackSize
| back to the default (15 ). Perform the following steps:
|
| 1. Start regedit.
| 2. Navigate to
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
| 3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't
| exist, create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
| 4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
| 5. Reboot the computer.
|
| Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article about
| this, too:
|
| Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078

Thanks very much, Malke! That works. In fact, I checked and found IRPStackSize
isn't on either desktop, so I dove in blindly and deleted it from my laptop
altogether. All is working smoothly now. I can put it back and set it to 15 if
I find something else is broken because it's not there.

This is one more item I can add to my list of justifications for strangling
Norton!

Thanks again.

ChrisM

Malke

Chris May wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:38:40 -0700, Malke pondered exceedingly, then
> took quill in hand and carefully composed...
>
> | Chris May wrote:
(snippage)
> | > "[drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> | > this network
> | > resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> | > if you have access permission.
> | >
> | > Not enough server storage is available to process this command."
>
> | Here is information on this error from MVP Hans-Georg Michna:
> |
> | This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize
> | bug. The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect
> | to, not the machine where you see the error message. On the
> | computer you are attempting to connect to, check the event viewer
> | for an event ID 2011.
> |
> | Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize
> |
> | On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the
> | IRPStackSize back to the default (15 ). Perform the following
> | steps:
> |
> | 1. Start regedit.
> | 2. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
> | 3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't
> | exist, create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
> | 4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
> | 5. Reboot the computer.
> |
> | Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article
> | about this, too:
> |
> | Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
> | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078
>
> Thanks very much, Malke! That works. In fact, I checked and found
> IRPStackSize isn't on either desktop, so I dove in blindly and deleted
> it from my laptop
> altogether. All is working smoothly now. I can put it back and set
> it to 15 if I find something else is broken because it's not there.
>
> This is one more item I can add to my list of justifications for
> strangling Norton!

I'm so glad that helped, but of course all credit is due Mr. Michna. I'm
just the note-taker! And I totally agree with your about Norton; you'll
have a hard time finding any techs who recommend their products anymore
(including me).

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're all fixed up now.

Malke