hard disk not detectable

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

When my WinXP boot up, I got "Detecting Primary Master: None."
However, the slave harddisk is detectable.
I have tried to boot from CDROM, but failed.
The message is "No Emulation"
The BOOT->primary HDD is ST340014A
The MAIN->primary master is AUTO.

I havent changed any hareware configuration.
This happens right after loading a word document, the machine hangs.
Then I reset the computer and find the primary master not detectable.
Thanx a lot
18 answers Last reply
More about hard disk detectable
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    dh wrote:

    > When my WinXP boot up, I got "Detecting Primary Master: None."
    > However, the slave harddisk is detectable.
    > I have tried to boot from CDROM, but failed.
    > The message is "No Emulation"
    > The BOOT->primary HDD is ST340014A
    > The MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    >
    > I havent changed any hareware configuration.
    > This happens right after loading a word document, the machine hangs.
    > Then I reset the computer and find the primary master not detectable.
    > Thanx a lot

    Go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download a drive diagnostic
    utility. That will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot from that and
    check the hard drive. It may have failed.

    If it has failed and the drive cannot be detected in the BIOS, then your
    recourse to get data from the drive is to contact one of the speciality
    houses such as ontrack or drivesavers. Know that this is very costly.
    Mucho less costly to have regular full backups for this eventuality.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    If I understand correctly; Winxp boots with err msg "Detecting Primary
    Master: None."
    HD is detected in bios?
    If so perhaps its failed
    Download the hd checking utility from hd manu site, create the floppy and
    test.

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > When my WinXP boot up, I got "Detecting Primary Master: None."
    > However, the slave harddisk is detectable.
    > I have tried to boot from CDROM, but failed.
    > The message is "No Emulation"
    > The BOOT->primary HDD is ST340014A
    > The MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    >
    > I havent changed any hareware configuration.
    > This happens right after loading a word document, the machine hangs.
    > Then I reset the computer and find the primary master not detectable.
    > Thanx a lot

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    Thanx

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > If I understand correctly; Winxp boots with err msg "Detecting Primary
    > Master: None."
    > HD is detected in bios?
    > If so perhaps its failed
    > Download the hd checking utility from hd manu site, create the floppy and
    > test.
    >
    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> When my WinXP boot up, I got "Detecting Primary Master: None."
    >> However, the slave harddisk is detectable.
    >> I have tried to boot from CDROM, but failed.
    >> The message is "No Emulation"
    >> The BOOT->primary HDD is ST340014A
    >> The MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    >>
    >> I havent changed any hareware configuration.
    >> This happens right after loading a word document, the machine hangs.
    >> Then I reset the computer and find the primary master not detectable.
    >> Thanx a lot

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi, dh.

    If you tell us the make and model of your computer (or your motherboard, if
    you built it yourself), some of us might be able to give you some specific
    advice. Until then, all we can give is "generic" tips, based on our
    experience with our computers, which may be different from yours. How many
    HDs to you have, what interface (IDE? SCSI? SATA?) do they use and how are
    they partitioned? Where is WinXP installed? (It might help if you post a
    copy of your C:\boot.ini file.)

    When the computer power switch is turned on, the very first (white text on
    black) screen should list the HDs that the BIOS detects. These might flash
    by so quickly that you can't read them. If so, you'll have to quickly hit
    whatever key (Del? F1? F10?) is appropriage for your machine to enter the
    BIOS setup utility. On the first or second page of this, you should see the
    HDs and CD/DVDs that the BIOS recognizes as currently attached, and which
    connector (primary or secondary IDE; master or slave) each is on.

    But I'm confused. If your main HD is not even recognized by your computer,
    then you should not be able to boot at all and you would never be able to
    get to the Word document you mention. And I have no idea where the "No
    Emulation" message might be coming from!

    You need to tell us a LOT more before we will be able to help you very much.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    >I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    > Thanx
    >
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> If I understand correctly; Winxp boots with err msg "Detecting Primary
    >> Master: None."
    >> HD is detected in bios?
    >> If so perhaps its failed
    >> Download the hd checking utility from hd manu site, create the floppy and
    >> test.
    >>
    >> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> When my WinXP boot up, I got "Detecting Primary Master: None."
    >>> However, the slave harddisk is detectable.
    >>> I have tried to boot from CDROM, but failed.
    >>> The message is "No Emulation"
    >>> The BOOT->primary HDD is ST340014A
    >>> The MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    >>>
    >>> I havent changed any hareware configuration.
    >>> This happens right after loading a word document, the machine hangs.
    >>> Then I reset the computer and find the primary master not detectable.
    >>> Thanx a lot
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    A master hard drive NEEDS to be detected in the BIOS for the PC to be able
    to boot from a hard drive. You can not normally have a slave harddrive used
    to boot the system.

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    > Thanx
    >
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> If I understand correctly; Winxp boots with err msg "Detecting Primary
    >> Master: None."
    >> HD is detected in bios?
    >> If so perhaps its failed
    >> Download the hd checking utility from hd manu site, create the floppy and
    >> test.
    >>
    >> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> When my WinXP boot up, I got "Detecting Primary Master: None."
    >>> However, the slave harddisk is detectable.
    >>> I have tried to boot from CDROM, but failed.
    >>> The message is "No Emulation"
    >>> The BOOT->primary HDD is ST340014A
    >>> The MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    >>>
    >>> I havent changed any hareware configuration.
    >>> This happens right after loading a word document, the machine hangs.
    >>> Then I reset the computer and find the primary master not detectable.
    >>> Thanx a lot

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The motherboard is Asus P3V4X.
    I have 2 IDE interface harddisk.
    The WinXP is installed in C: at the primary master disk which is a Seagate.
    I cannot even get boot from CDROM, so cannot post the c:\boot.ini
    When the computer switch is turned on, the very first screen list the HDs
    that the BIOS detects.
    It shows
    Detecting Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]

    Then it times out and start detecting the other HD and CDROMs.
    Then the screen turns to a table showing
    Pri. Master Disk: NONE.
    Pri. Slave Disk: 40020MB, UDMA 4

    The secondary boot is set to be the CDROM in BIOS.
    The primary boot is failed and it switches to the CDROM where the WinXP is
    in there.
    It shown an error message "Boot from ATAPI CDROM: No Emulation"
    And long time hasnt anything comes up.

    The BIOS setting:
    BOOT->1. IDE HDD is ST340014A
    MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    MAIN->primary slave is ST340014A

    Thanx a lot

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, dh.
    >
    > If you tell us the make and model of your computer (or your motherboard,
    > if you built it yourself), some of us might be able to give you some
    > specific advice. Until then, all we can give is "generic" tips, based on
    > our experience with our computers, which may be different from yours. How
    > many HDs to you have, what interface (IDE? SCSI? SATA?) do they use and
    > how are they partitioned? Where is WinXP installed? (It might help if
    > you post a copy of your C:\boot.ini file.)
    >
    > When the computer power switch is turned on, the very first (white text on
    > black) screen should list the HDs that the BIOS detects. These might
    > flash by so quickly that you can't read them. If so, you'll have to
    > quickly hit whatever key (Del? F1? F10?) is appropriage for your machine
    > to enter the BIOS setup utility. On the first or second page of this, you
    > should see the HDs and CD/DVDs that the BIOS recognizes as currently
    > attached, and which connector (primary or secondary IDE; master or slave)
    > each is on.
    >
    > But I'm confused. If your main HD is not even recognized by your
    > computer, then you should not be able to boot at all and you would never
    > be able to get to the Word document you mention. And I have no idea where
    > the "No Emulation" message might be coming from!
    >
    > You need to tell us a LOT more before we will be able to help you very
    > much.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> If I understand correctly; Winxp boots with err msg "Detecting Primary
    >>> Master: None."
    >>> HD is detected in bios?
    >>> If so perhaps its failed
    >>> Download the hd checking utility from hd manu site, create the floppy
    >>> and
    >>> test.
    >>>
    >>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Now the problem is, the master harddrive cannot be detected with an unknown
    reason.
    How can I fix it?
    Thanx

    >A master hard drive NEEDS to be detected in the BIOS for the PC to be able
    >to boot from a hard drive. You can not normally have a slave harddrive
    >used to boot the system.
    >

    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    >> Thanx
    >>
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> If I understand correctly; Winxp boots with err msg "Detecting Primary
    >>> Master: None."
    >>> HD is detected in bios?
    >>> If so perhaps its failed
    >>> Download the hd checking utility from hd manu site, create the floppy
    >>> and
    >>> test.
    >>>
    >>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Important supplementary information:
    Primary Master HD model: ST320420A
    Primary Slave HD model: ST340014A
    How come the BIOS BOOT order would put my Primary Slave HD as the first
    option?

    Finally, the setup can run from CDROM.
    I select the Recovery option, and it complains that the HD is not found.
    It suggests to check the power of the HD, and the HD installation.
    However, I havent changed the hardware configuration.
    Where should I start the checking?
    Thanx

    > The motherboard is Asus P3V4X.
    > I have 2 IDE interface harddisk.
    > The WinXP is installed in C: at the primary master disk which is a
    > Seagate.
    > I cannot even get boot from CDROM, so cannot post the c:\boot.ini
    > When the computer switch is turned on, the very first screen list the HDs
    > that the BIOS detects.
    > It shows
    > Detecting Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]
    >
    > Then it times out and start detecting the other HD and CDROMs.
    > Then the screen turns to a table showing
    > Pri. Master Disk: NONE.
    > Pri. Slave Disk: 40020MB, UDMA 4
    >
    > The secondary boot is set to be the CDROM in BIOS.
    > The primary boot is failed and it switches to the CDROM where the WinXP is
    > in there.
    > It shown an error message "Boot from ATAPI CDROM: No Emulation"
    > And long time hasnt anything comes up.
    >
    > The BIOS setting:
    > BOOT->1. IDE HDD is ST340014A
    > MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    > MAIN->primary slave is ST340014A
    >
    > Thanx a lot
    >

    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, dh.
    >>
    >> If you tell us the make and model of your computer (or your motherboard,
    >> if you built it yourself), some of us might be able to give you some
    >> specific advice. Until then, all we can give is "generic" tips, based on
    >> our experience with our computers, which may be different from yours.
    >> How many HDs to you have, what interface (IDE? SCSI? SATA?) do they use
    >> and how are they partitioned? Where is WinXP installed? (It might help
    >> if you post a copy of your C:\boot.ini file.)
    >>
    >> When the computer power switch is turned on, the very first (white text
    >> on black) screen should list the HDs that the BIOS detects. These might
    >> flash by so quickly that you can't read them. If so, you'll have to
    >> quickly hit whatever key (Del? F1? F10?) is appropriage for your
    >> machine to enter the BIOS setup utility. On the first or second page of
    >> this, you should see the HDs and CD/DVDs that the BIOS recognizes as
    >> currently attached, and which connector (primary or secondary IDE; master
    >> or slave) each is on.
    >>
    >> But I'm confused. If your main HD is not even recognized by your
    >> computer, then you should not be able to boot at all and you would never
    >> be able to get to the Word document you mention. And I have no idea
    >> where the "No Emulation" message might be coming from!
    >>
    >> You need to tell us a LOT more before we will be able to help you very
    >> much.
    >>
    >> RC
    >> --
    >> R. C. White, CPA
    >> San Marcos, TX
    >> rc@corridor.net
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>
    >> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    >>> Thanx
    >>>
    >>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, dh.
    >>
    >> If you tell us the make and model of your computer (or your motherboard,
    >> if you built it yourself), some of us might be able to give you some
    >> specific advice. Until then, all we can give is "generic" tips, based on
    >> our experience with our computers, which may be different from yours.
    >> How many HDs to you have, what interface (IDE? SCSI? SATA?) do they use
    >> and how are they partitioned? Where is WinXP installed? (It might help
    >> if you post a copy of your C:\boot.ini file.)
    >>
    >> When the computer power switch is turned on, the very first (white text
    >> on black) screen should list the HDs that the BIOS detects. These might
    >> flash by so quickly that you can't read them. If so, you'll have to
    >> quickly hit whatever key (Del? F1? F10?) is appropriage for your
    >> machine to enter the BIOS setup utility. On the first or second page of
    >> this, you should see the HDs and CD/DVDs that the BIOS recognizes as
    >> currently attached, and which connector (primary or secondary IDE; master
    >> or slave) each is on.
    >>
    >> But I'm confused. If your main HD is not even recognized by your
    >> computer, then you should not be able to boot at all and you would never
    >> be able to get to the Word document you mention. And I have no idea
    >> where the "No Emulation" message might be coming from!
    >>
    >> You need to tell us a LOT more before we will be able to help you very
    >> much.
    >>
    >> RC
    >> --
    >> R. C. White, CPA
    >> San Marcos, TX
    >> rc@corridor.net
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > The motherboard is Asus P3V4X.
    > I have 2 IDE interface harddisk.
    > The WinXP is installed in C: at the primary master disk which is a
    > Seagate.
    > I cannot even get boot from CDROM, so cannot post the c:\boot.ini
    > When the computer switch is turned on, the very first screen list the HDs
    > that the BIOS detects.
    > It shows
    > Detecting Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]
    >
    > Then it times out and start detecting the other HD and CDROMs.
    > Then the screen turns to a table showing
    > Pri. Master Disk: NONE.
    > Pri. Slave Disk: 40020MB, UDMA 4
    >
    > The secondary boot is set to be the CDROM in BIOS.
    > The primary boot is failed and it switches to the CDROM where the WinXP is
    > in there.
    > It shown an error message "Boot from ATAPI CDROM: No Emulation"
    > And long time hasnt anything comes up.
    >
    > The BIOS setting:
    > BOOT->1. IDE HDD is ST340014A
    > MAIN->primary master is AUTO.
    > MAIN->primary slave is ST340014A
    >
    > Thanx a lot

    dh:
    1. Your basic problem, of course, is that your boot drive, the Seagate
    connected as Primary Master, is not being detected in the BIOS. We'll assume
    it's connected/configured properly to its IDE cable connector and power
    plug, right? You're *absolutely* sure of that, right? And you've make no
    hardware changes involving your hard drives, right? As you said,. the
    problem surfaced after you "load(ed) a word document". You also said that
    after this you "reset the computer". What do you mean by this? How did you
    "reset the computer"?

    2. I'm assuming your second drive, the other Seagate, is not a bootable
    drive, right? Just contains data for storage and/or backup, right?

    3. Go to Seagate's website and download their HD diagnostic utility. I
    haven't checked it lately but I assume it's still available to freely
    download. Assuming the disk checks out OK...

    4 Access your BIOS and make sure your CD-ROM is first in the boot order.
    Then boot to your XP installation disk and perform a Repair install. *NOT*
    THE FIRST "R" UPON BOOTUP!. If you don't know how to perform a Repair
    install do a Google search for "xp repair install".

    Assuming you haven't made any hardware changes affecting your primary drive
    and further assuming it's properly connected/configured, it sounds like a
    defective disk. But maybe not. So go through the above and see what happens.
    Anna
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanx very much for your reply.
    1> I reset the PC by pressing the reset button, so it is equivalent to power
    off and on.
    2> Yes, the second HD is not a bootable drive.
    3> Yes, I am trying.
    4> The CDROM setup application finally boot up the PC.
    It complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option.

    With the information above, will u guess it is a Disk crash?
    How to recover the disk data if it is a disk crash?
    Thanx

    > dh:
    > 1. Your basic problem, of course, is that your boot drive, the Seagate
    > connected as Primary Master, is not being detected in the BIOS. We'll
    > assume it's connected/configured properly to its IDE cable connector and
    > power plug, right? You're *absolutely* sure of that, right? And you've
    > make no hardware changes involving your hard drives, right? As you said,.
    > the problem surfaced after you "load(ed) a word document". You also said
    > that after this you "reset the computer". What do you mean by this? How
    > did you "reset the computer"?
    >
    > 2. I'm assuming your second drive, the other Seagate, is not a bootable
    > drive, right? Just contains data for storage and/or backup, right?
    >
    > 3. Go to Seagate's website and download their HD diagnostic utility. I
    > haven't checked it lately but I assume it's still available to freely
    > download. Assuming the disk checks out OK...
    >
    > 4 Access your BIOS and make sure your CD-ROM is first in the boot order.
    > Then boot to your XP installation disk and perform a Repair install. *NOT*
    > THE FIRST "R" UPON BOOTUP!. If you don't know how to perform a Repair
    > install do a Google search for "xp repair install".
    >
    > Assuming you haven't made any hardware changes affecting your primary
    > drive and further assuming it's properly connected/configured, it sounds
    > like a defective disk. But maybe not. So go through the above and see what
    > happens.
    > Anna

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Thanx very much for your reply.
    > 1> I reset the PC by pressing the reset button, so it is equivalent to
    > power off and on.
    > 2> Yes, the second HD is not a bootable drive.
    > 3> Yes, I am trying.
    > 4> The CDROM setup application finally boot up the PC.
    > It complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option.
    >
    > With the information above, will u guess it is a Disk crash?
    > How to recover the disk data if it is a disk crash?
    > Thanx

    dh:
    It certainly sounds like a defective disk, but it may be not. Hopefully the
    Seagate diagnostic will let you know if it is.

    Forget about the Recovery console. I assume that's what you mean when you
    say "the PC.
    .... complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option". Can you
    get to the Repair option that I mentioned above in 4.? If you can get to the
    Repair option as I described above, do so, and undertake a Repair install.
    Anna
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The seagate diagnostic tool is performing full surface scan.
    It is more than 100 bad sector and it is still scanning.
    Do u think it is a defective disk?
    Should I try the Repair install with WinXP CD-ROM?
    Thanx

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

    >>> Anna writes:
    >>> dh:
    >>> 1. Your basic problem, of course, is that your boot drive, the Seagate
    >>> connected as Primary Master, is not being detected in the BIOS. We'll
    >>> assume it's connected/configured properly to its IDE cable connector and
    >>> power plug, right? You're *absolutely* sure of that, right? And you've
    >>> make no hardware changes involving your hard drives, right? As you
    >>> said,. the problem surfaced after you "load(ed) a word document". You
    >>> also said that after this you "reset the computer". What do you mean by
    >>> this? How did you "reset the computer"?
    >>>
    >>> 2. I'm assuming your second drive, the other Seagate, is not a bootable
    >>> drive, right? Just contains data for storage and/or backup, right?
    >>>
    >>> 3. Go to Seagate's website and download their HD diagnostic utility. I
    >>> haven't checked it lately but I assume it's still available to freely
    >>> download. Assuming the disk checks out OK...
    >>>
    >>> 4 Access your BIOS and make sure your CD-ROM is first in the boot order.
    >>> Then boot to your XP installation disk and perform a Repair install.
    >>> *NOT* THE FIRST "R" UPON BOOTUP!. If you don't know how to perform a
    >>> Repair install do a Google search for "xp repair install".
    >>>
    >>> Assuming you haven't made any hardware changes affecting your primary
    >>> drive and further assuming it's properly connected/configured, it sounds
    >>> like a defective disk. But maybe not. So go through the above and see
    >>> what happens.
    >>> Anna
    >

    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanx very much for your reply.
    >> 1> I reset the PC by pressing the reset button, so it is equivalent to
    >> power off and on.
    >> 2> Yes, the second HD is not a bootable drive.
    >> 3> Yes, I am trying.
    >> 4> The CDROM setup application finally boot up the PC.
    >> It complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option.
    >>
    >> With the information above, will u guess it is a Disk crash?
    >> How to recover the disk data if it is a disk crash?
    >> Thanx
    >

    > dh:
    > It certainly sounds like a defective disk, but it may be not. Hopefully
    > the Seagate diagnostic will let you know if it is.
    >
    > Forget about the Recovery console. I assume that's what you mean when you
    > say "the PC.
    > ... complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option". Can you
    > get to the Repair option that I mentioned above in 4.? If you can get to
    > the Repair option as I described above, do so, and undertake a Repair
    > install.
    > Anna

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Your hd is not detected in the bios,
    Therefore either it has failed or the cables have come adrift (unlikely)
    As I said before you need to visit hd manu site for the "ST340014A"
    Download the checking utility, create the boot floppy for this, then pwr up
    using this.
    Or if you cannot do this take it to a repair shop

    > Now the problem is, the master harddrive cannot be detected with an
    unknown
    > reason.
    > How can I fix it?
    > Thanx
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > >A master hard drive NEEDS to be detected in the BIOS for the PC to be
    able
    > >to boot from a hard drive. You can not normally have a slave harddrive
    > >used to boot the system.
    > >

    > > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >>I dont know the HD is detected in BIOS or not.
    > >> Thanx
    > >>
    > >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > The seagate diagnostic tool is performing full surface scan.
    > It is more than 100 bad sector and it is still scanning.
    > Do u think it is a defective disk?
    > Should I try the Repair install with WinXP CD-ROM?
    > Thanx

    You have a very sick hard drive if there are 100 bad sectors. If you're
    lucky, you may be able to get some data off of it, but even if you could get
    the bios to see it, I wouldn't trust it after this.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

    >> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanx very much for your reply.
    >>> 1> I reset the PC by pressing the reset button, so it is equivalent to
    >>> power off and on.
    >>> 2> Yes, the second HD is not a bootable drive.
    >>> 3> Yes, I am trying.
    >>> 4> The CDROM setup application finally boot up the PC.
    >>> It complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option.
    >>>
    >>> With the information above, will u guess it is a Disk crash?
    >>> How to recover the disk data if it is a disk crash?
    >>> Thanx
    >>

    >> dh:
    >> It certainly sounds like a defective disk, but it may be not. Hopefully
    >> the Seagate diagnostic will let you know if it is.
    >>
    >> Forget about the Recovery console. I assume that's what you mean when you
    >> say "the PC.
    >> ... complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option". Can you
    >> get to the Repair option that I mentioned above in 4.? If you can get to
    >> the Repair option as I described above, do so, and undertake a Repair
    >> install.
    >> Anna

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > The seagate diagnostic tool is performing full surface scan.
    > It is more than 100 bad sector and it is still scanning.
    > Do u think it is a defective disk?
    > Should I try the Repair install with WinXP CD-ROM?
    > Thanx

    dh:
    Certainly sounds like it is defective. Try the Repair install as a
    last-shot. It's very iffy at best but you've got nothing to lose at this
    point.
    Anna
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I'd give up Anna, he was told to use the hd checking utility in the first
    response - he seems unable to take that onboard

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

    > >> Anna writes:
    > >> dh:
    > >> 1. Your basic problem, of course, is that your boot drive, the Seagate
    > >> connected as Primary Master, is not being detected in the BIOS. We'll
    > >> assume it's connected/configured properly to its IDE cable connector
    and
    > >> power plug, right? You're *absolutely* sure of that, right? And you've
    > >> make no hardware changes involving your hard drives, right? As you
    said,.
    > >> the problem surfaced after you "load(ed) a word document". You also
    said
    > >> that after this you "reset the computer". What do you mean by this? How
    > >> did you "reset the computer"?
    > >>
    > >> 2. I'm assuming your second drive, the other Seagate, is not a bootable
    > >> drive, right? Just contains data for storage and/or backup, right?
    > >>
    > >> 3. Go to Seagate's website and download their HD diagnostic utility. I
    > >> haven't checked it lately but I assume it's still available to freely
    > >> download. Assuming the disk checks out OK...
    > >>
    > >> 4 Access your BIOS and make sure your CD-ROM is first in the boot
    order.
    > >> Then boot to your XP installation disk and perform a Repair install.
    > >> *NOT* THE FIRST "R" UPON BOOTUP!. If you don't know how to perform a
    > >> Repair install do a Google search for "xp repair install".
    > >>
    > >> Assuming you haven't made any hardware changes affecting your primary
    > >> drive and further assuming it's properly connected/configured, it
    sounds
    > >> like a defective disk. But maybe not. So go through the above and see
    > >> what happens.
    > >> Anna
    >

    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanx very much for your reply.
    > > 1> I reset the PC by pressing the reset button, so it is equivalent to
    > > power off and on.
    > > 2> Yes, the second HD is not a bootable drive.
    > > 3> Yes, I am trying.
    > > 4> The CDROM setup application finally boot up the PC.
    > > It complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option.
    > >
    > > With the information above, will u guess it is a Disk crash?
    > > How to recover the disk data if it is a disk crash?
    > > Thanx
    >

    > dh:
    > It certainly sounds like a defective disk, but it may be not. Hopefully
    the
    > Seagate diagnostic will let you know if it is.
    >
    > Forget about the Recovery console. I assume that's what you mean when you
    > say "the PC.
    > ... complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option". Can you
    > get to the Repair option that I mentioned above in 4.? If you can get to
    the
    > Repair option as I described above, do so, and undertake a Repair install.
    > Anna

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Then, there's something you're not telling us. The diagnostic tool will not
    find the HD unless its detected by the bios.

    If accurate, that many defective sectors indicates a bad HD. Don't waste
    your time with an XP repair install attempt.

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > The seagate diagnostic tool is performing full surface scan.
    > It is more than 100 bad sector and it is still scanning.
    > Do u think it is a defective disk?
    > Should I try the Repair install with WinXP CD-ROM?
    > Thanx
    >
    > "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

    > > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanx very much for your reply.
    > >> 1> I reset the PC by pressing the reset button, so it is equivalent to
    > >> power off and on.
    > >> 2> Yes, the second HD is not a bootable drive.
    > >> 3> Yes, I am trying.
    > >> 4> The CDROM setup application finally boot up the PC.
    > >> It complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option.
    > >>
    > >> With the information above, will u guess it is a Disk crash?
    > >> How to recover the disk data if it is a disk crash?
    > >> Thanx
    > >

    > > dh:
    > > It certainly sounds like a defective disk, but it may be not. Hopefully
    > > the Seagate diagnostic will let you know if it is.
    > >
    > > Forget about the Recovery console. I assume that's what you mean when
    you
    > > say "the PC.
    > > ... complains that the HD is not found with the recovery option". Can
    you
    > > get to the Repair option that I mentioned above in 4.? If you can get to
    > > the Repair option as I described above, do so, and undertake a Repair
    > > install.
    > > Anna

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    dh (and Lil' Dave):
    First of all, it *does* certainly sound to me like the HD is defective and
    will need to be replaced. But at this point we are not *absolutely* certain
    of that. The fact that the BIOS does not detect a drive upon bootup is *not*
    an absolute assurance of a defective drive. Also, it is possible that while
    the BIOS does not detect the drive upon bootup, the HD manufacturer's
    diagnostic utility *will* have no problem doing so. As a matter of fact, in
    this situation, hasn't the OP stated that the Seagate diagnostic utility is
    doing just that?

    As far as the Repair install, I would agree that based on what we now know,
    it would be quite surprising if that would cure this drive's ills. But
    what's the harm in performing such a install? There's really little to lose
    other than a possible waste of dh's time in doing so.
    Anna

Boot Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP