blakegocoogs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
I purchased an 80 gig HD and I want to use it to keep all of my documents, music, video etc on it, no programs or operating system. The 80 gig HD is installed in my case. I use removable hard drive trays to switch between a hard drive that has XP and another had drive that has linux. I want to be able to access my files on the 80 gig drive in both operating systems. What kind of partition should I make and what program should I use to make it with?

Thanks a lot,
Blake

Format it to FAT32. Use any program you wish, XP has a simple partition manger (Right click MY COMPUTER>Manage>Disk Management), and most Linux distro's come with one too. Also, partition magic is a good program too.

blakegocoogs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
I don't think I can format the drive to be FAT32 w/ XP. Also would I want to make it primary or extended. I don't want to boot from this HD, just have it for files to be available to both windows & linux.

Thanks,
Blake

You can format to FAT32 in XP. As for partition type, it doesn't really matter - I think extended was a work-a-round so that you could have more than 4 partitions on one drive.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
You can format FAT32 in XP. I did that when XP was new because if my machine failed then I could get my data out with win98 since very little people had XP at that time.

<font color=blue>If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on</font color=blue>