Linking XP - Help

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

My brother had two windows ME machines in different states and needed
to be able to access Quickbooks' accounts on one machine from the
other. He was using PCAnywhere via two phone-modems on the machines
and it worked just fine.

He now has a two new XP machines in same scenario and still needs to
be able to access Quickbooks' accounts on the one machine (which is
now DSL ISP) from the other (which is now Cable ISP).

He has been warned not to use PCAnywhere for security reasons. He
was told XP fire walling also would cause woes. I am sure he can
disable the fireballs, but he really shouldn't do that. I also am
sure he can continue to use PCAnywhere via the two phone-modems, but
should he do this?

Can anyone suggest a best way to go to do what he needs to do?

Please.

Geezer

..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

PCAnywhere can also be used on XP (starting @ version 10.5) and can be used
over Cable/DSL service. This is known as TCP/IP connection.

Also, XP Pro has built-in Remote Desktop Protocol (Terminal Services). This
allows you to remote connect onto the destination PC. However, R.D.P. will
close all programs and log off all user on the destination local console.

If each are using a dynamic IP service , then www.whatismuip.com would be
able to tell you the current IP address, when done from each PC.

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> My brother had two windows ME machines in different states and needed
> to be able to access Quickbooks' accounts on one machine from the
> other. He was using PCAnywhere via two phone-modems on the machines
> and it worked just fine.
>
> He now has a two new XP machines in same scenario and still needs to
> be able to access Quickbooks' accounts on the one machine (which is
> now DSL ISP) from the other (which is now Cable ISP).
>
> He has been warned not to use PCAnywhere for security reasons. He
> was told XP fire walling also would cause woes. I am sure he can
> disable the fireballs, but he really shouldn't do that. I also am
> sure he can continue to use PCAnywhere via the two phone-modems, but
> should he do this?
>
> Can anyone suggest a best way to go to do what he needs to do?
>
> Please.
>
> Geezer
>
> .

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hi

As is a connection through the Internet is much faster and dependable but
not as securer as your own dialup. However Internet connection can be made
secure by using Encryption (SSH, VPN etc.)

A common practice to achieve security is to use VPN. If you are connecting
to Windows Server (like Widows 2003), VPN server is part of the deal,
otherwise you would need a VPN End point.

http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html

Alternatively you can use pcAnywhere or similar programs.

This page describe how to be able to connect to a computer/network through
the Internet (it does not matter DSL or Cable the principle is the same.

http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html

This page describe how to use a remote control program through the Internet

http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html

This page describes how to secure the remoter control program.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDeskto
pVNCandSSH.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:59:01 -0400, "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDeskto
pVNCandSSH.html

Thanks Jack. What is wrong with the above address? It did not work
for me.

Geezer

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

geezer wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:59:01 -0400, "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>

>>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDeskto
>
> pVNCandSSH.html
>

> Thanks Jack. What is wrong with the above address? It did not work
> for me.
>
> Geezer

The link works fine here.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:33:10 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
<yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

>PCAnywhere can also be used on XP (starting @ version 10.5) and can be used
>over Cable/DSL service. This is known as TCP/IP connection.
>
>Also, XP Pro has built-in Remote Desktop Protocol (Terminal Services). This
>allows you to remote connect onto the destination PC. However, R.D.P. will
>close all programs and log off all user on the destination local console.
>
>If each are using a dynamic IP service , then www.whatismuip.com would be
>able to tell you the current IP address, when done from each PC.

www.whatismuip.com jumps me to http://www2.linkz.com/ which doesn't
seem to pertain to IP service. Why ???

Thanks

Geezer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Try http://www.whatismyip.com/ what is mY ip

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:33:10 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
> <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:
>
>>PCAnywhere can also be used on XP (starting @ version 10.5) and can be
>>used
>>over Cable/DSL service. This is known as TCP/IP connection.
>>
>>Also, XP Pro has built-in Remote Desktop Protocol (Terminal Services).
>>This
>>allows you to remote connect onto the destination PC. However, R.D.P.
>>will
>>close all programs and log off all user on the destination local console.
>>
>>If each are using a dynamic IP service , then www.whatismuip.com would be
>>able to tell you the current IP address, when done from each PC.
>>

> www.whatismuip.com jumps me to http://www2.linkz.com/ which doesn't
> seem to pertain to IP service. Why ???
>
> Thanks
>
> Geezer

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:10:58 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Try http://www.whatismyip.com/ what is mY ip

I tried testing PCAnywhere, using its cable/dsl menu selection and it
seemed to work fine (under XP). I just wonder how protected I was
with just XP's firewall active.

Geezer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I would never rely upon Windows XP firewall, as it is now, to totally
protect my systems.

--

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:10:58 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Try http://www.whatismyip.com/ what is mY ip
>

> I tried testing PCAnywhere, using its cable/dsl menu selection and it
> seemed to work fine (under XP). I just wonder how protected I was
> with just XP's firewall active.
>
> Geezer

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:14:50 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would never rely upon Windows XP firewall, as it is now, to totally
>protect my systems.

Windows Firewall is as good as Zone Alarm for protecting against inbound
threats, on computers used for just web surfing. It doesn't protect at all on
outbound threats though.

NO single product, including any personal firewall, is good enough to totally
protect any system. That's why a layered defense is essential.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/please-protect-yourself-layer-your.html>

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]