Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

palmOne Officiall Announces the Tungsten T5

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 8:26:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

palmOne's Tungsten T5 will have some innovative features, including the
ability to appear as a removable drive on any computer, but it will lack
some of the features long-time Palm OS users have been hoping it would have.

Read all about this new handheld at:
http://www.brighthand.com/article/palmOne_Announces_Tun...


--
Editor-in-Chief
http://www.brighthand.com
News, Views, and "Hands-On" Reviews of Handhelds of All Types
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 8:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Ed Hardy wrote:
> palmOne's Tungsten T5 will have some innovative features, including the
> ability to appear as a removable drive on any computer, but it will lack
> some of the features long-time Palm OS users have been hoping it would have.
>
> Read all about this new handheld at:
> http://www.brighthand.com/article/palmOne_Announces_Tun...
>
>
Ed, thank you for the link regarding the T5. It will be interesting to
see how well the T5 is accepted. I am looking forward to what other
Palm users will think of the T5.

I have a T3 at present. I see no reason to consider an upgrade to the
T5. The fact that the T5 does not support the universal connector is a
disappointment to me. I like having an external portable keyboard for my
T3 (and for my Palm 505 when I had one). I never was able to pick up
the knack of using Graffiti.

Just my two cents worth,
Canadian Cowboy.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 3:16:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Ed Hardy" <edhardy3@hotmail.com> wrote:
>http://www.brighthand.com/article/palmOne_Announces_Tun...

Interesting, I like the Drive Mode, though I'm suspecting it'll be as
slow as Card Export et al, so it may not compare very well to a
dedicated card reader.

A little shorter, a little wider, a bit thinner.

No UC, kiss of death for me. I guess I'll be waiting for the price
drop on the T3 (below their current $350). Sigh. Why would I give up
my PowerToGo, my weather station interface, my Ethernet Cradle, my
travel chargers, etc, and have to buy everything all over again?

"The Multi-connector will be a part of future devices from palmOne."
Yeah, for another few years till we change our minds and make you buy
all new peripherals again. Sigh.

No WiFi, no OS6, no microphone, I hope the battery life is at least
reasonable... Thank you for playing.

Why did Handera have to drop out of the market, I really miss them!
Related resources
October 4, 2004 11:10:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hello,

<William P.N. Smith> a écrit dans le message de
news:qrp2m0lrmqmgdjrtcki54vt5dt1si3srr7@4ax.com...
> "Ed Hardy" <edhardy3@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >http://www.brighthand.com/article/palmOne_Announces_Tun...
>
> Interesting, I like the Drive Mode, though I'm suspecting it'll be as
> slow as Card Export et al, so it may not compare very well to a
> dedicated card reader.
>
> A little shorter, a little wider, a bit thinner.
>
> No UC, kiss of death for me. I guess I'll be waiting for the price
> drop on the T3 (below their current $350). Sigh. Why would I give up
> my PowerToGo, my weather station interface, my Ethernet Cradle, my
> travel chargers, etc, and have to buy everything all over again?
>
> "The Multi-connector will be a part of future devices from palmOne."
> Yeah, for another few years till we change our minds and make you buy
> all new peripherals again. Sigh.
>
> No WiFi, no OS6, no microphone, I hope the battery life is at least
> reasonable... Thank you for playing.
>
> Why did Handera have to drop out of the market, I really miss them!

In fact, if you take a closer look at the T5's specs available from palmone
website (both palmone & palm store), you will see that, although it comes
with a HotSync cable out of the box, it actually has the universal
connector. It just means that the cradle becomes an accessory available for
purchase for those who will need one.
Also, the T5 comes with a built in microphone at its back.

Laurent.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:23:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Logan a écrit, le 04/10/2004 19:10 :

> In fact, if you take a closer look at the T5's specs available from palmone
> website (both palmone & palm store), you will see that, although it comes
> with a HotSync cable out of the box, it actually has the universal
> connector.

No. It's a "Multi-connector", that apparently includes some audio
channels. Seems incompatible with the Universal Connector.

> Also, the T5 comes with a built in microphone at its back.

There is a speakerphone on the back, no a mike!

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...
news:fr.bienvenue news:fr.bienvenue.questions
news:news.announce.newusers news:fr.usenet.reponses
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 5:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Logan" <laurent.gagnie@club-internet.fr> wrote...
>
> In fact, if you take a closer look at the T5's specs available from
palmone
> website (both palmone & palm store), you will see that, although it comes
> with a HotSync cable out of the box, it actually has the universal
> connector.

Some international web site (palmone.ca for one) are incorrectly saying that
the T5 has the Universal Connector, so I understand your confusion.
Nevertheless, this model does not and never will have the Universal
Connector. The new Multi-connector is not compatible with Universal
Connector peripherals, and will be used on palmOne models going forward.

-Ed


--
Editor-in-Chief
http://www.brighthand.com
News, Views, and "Hands-On" Reviews of Handhelds of All Types
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 10:41:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

* Ed Hardy <edhardy3@hotmail.com>:
> Some international web site (palmone.ca for one) are incorrectly saying that
> the T5 has the Universal Connector, so I understand your confusion.
> Nevertheless, this model does not and never will have the Universal
> Connector. The new Multi-connector is not compatible with Universal
> Connector peripherals, and will be used on palmOne models going forward.

You can get an idea how the connector might look like by looking at
the USB hotsync cable:
http://palm.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1695459...
and a charging cable:
http://palm.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1695468...

Thomas

--
Email: thomas@jtah.de (at work: thomas@intevation.de)
http://jtah.de/
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 1:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:17:46 GMT, BigBrotha
<Brother_biggest@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The best thing is that they dropped the slider. My T3 is just about to
>go to repair because of faulty screen and lost screws of the slider.
>Also the screen is quite scratched after a year of usage.

I find that to be a negative. I love the slider on my T2. The thing
would be too big without it.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 2:33:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article news:<eg4dm0ha4vgkts7tmjgn4lg0b6gd5t7d89@4ax.com>, Singhalvr
wrote:
> >The best thing is that they dropped the slider. My T3 is just about to
> >go to repair because of faulty screen and lost screws of the slider.
> >Also the screen is quite scratched after a year of usage.
>
> I find that to be a negative. I love the slider on my T2. The thing
> would be too big without it.

... and I hate the slider on my T|T because it makes it too small - the
thing just lurks around in the bottom of my pocket and I'm always knocking
pens and stuff on the floor reaching in for it. An T|E would be much
easier - but doesn't have Bluetooth. The T|T5 looks pretty good, to me.

The point here is: one size doesn't fit all.

However, if Palm have dropped the slider from the T|T5 I'd guess that it
must be to keep costs down and reliability up, and in that case it
probably won't be coming back.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 3:03:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <0g30n01j3o1bhekg41jkvp9rikoghhcmvc@4ax.com>,
jimomuraNOSPAM@pathcom.com wrote:

> Yes, I agree that another year with the UC would have been nice.

Or another two years, or three. There's really no end to it.

> Was there any urgency to changing now? Perhaps the new connector
> might correspond to a change to supporting USB 2.0 speeds.

Ben Combee already reported the different things that the new connector
can do, chief among which are support audio and video. Multimedia
capabilities are something many users demand and that are supported by
Palm OS Cobalt (6).
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:45:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Too bad Bluetooth never took over - would have reduced reliance on
connectors. For all it's issues and 'cost' it sure would been nice to
have all palms and their peripherals BT enabled. And Palm would have
saved itself a lot of ill-will related to changing connectors.
October 18, 2004 8:45:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:45:47 +0000 (UTC), "Wayne S. Mery"
<wsm0@ns1.CC.Lehigh.EDU> jumped in and said:

>Too bad Bluetooth never took over - would have reduced reliance on
>connectors. For all it's issues and 'cost' it sure would been nice to
>have all palms and their peripherals BT enabled. And Palm would have
>saved itself a lot of ill-will related to changing connectors.

BT is 721Kbps. USB is 1.5Mbs to 12Mbs. High-Speed USB is 480Mbs.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
!