Sign in with
Your question

OEM version

Last response: in Windows 7
March 23, 2010 5:20:39 AM

Ok so i am building a new PC and im looking at getting windows 7.

I found a site #9 software that offers a Dell Stamped Version of the Windows 7 OEM. its like 35 buck cheaper. should i get that one or the non Stamped one? and what is the Difference. (besides that i would need to do a clean install witch i would be doing anyway)

What It says on the Dell stamped version is:

"This software will perform an Upgrade on a Dell or a Full Clean Install on ANY PC.
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade & Clean install 64 Bit Dell Stamped for any brand computer- You can use this product two different ways.
First, you can use this as an upgrade and Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium saving all the settings you have. The second option is you can use it on any PC (not just Dell) to do a clean install for Windows Home Premium. 64 bit version.
Included are the 64bit upgrade disc, the 64bit clean install disc, and a COA sticker with unique key to attach to your PC case."

http://www.9software.com/product_p/win7hnmpreip64.htm

Thank you ahead of time for you time, thoughts, and opinion

More about : oem version

March 23, 2010 8:44:19 AM

The prob with OEM software (although it's cheaper) is that you're really only entitled to ONE installation of it. It's meant to be for manufacturers and pc builders to install on systems and then set up a restore partition on the hard drive so an image of that windows is there in case something goes wrong. If you do choose to go for an OEM edition, I'd highly recommend making a seperate system partition and backing up an image to it as reinstalling windows 7 from this disk at any stage is a pain in the @r$e
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:13:59 AM

AFAIK, Windows OEM is locked on a single machine, not on the hard drive installation, etc. I've read that what Windows does upon activation is to record the serial of your motherboard to their system thus allowing only the activation of the product when used in the same machine (same motherboard). If it happens that you decided to change your mobo, your Windows OEM cannot be activated in that machine. Kindly enlight me if I am mistaken.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 23, 2010 12:34:24 PM

masterjaw said:
AFAIK, Windows OEM is locked on a single machine, not on the hard drive installation, etc. I've read that what Windows does upon activation is to record the serial of your motherboard to their system thus allowing only the activation of the product when used in the same machine (same motherboard). If it happens that you decided to change your mobo, your Windows OEM cannot be activated in that machine. Kindly enlight me if I am mistaken.

Correct. Further details are outlined in number 8 of this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2065-63-common-questi...
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:08:36 PM

okay i guess my real question is what is the difference in a dell stamped oem and a non stamped oem?
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:21:22 PM

and as far as not being able to switch PC's i am doing a complete new build and even if i were to switch 2 oem discs are cheaper than 1 full version (if i get the dell stamped one)
m
l
!