Building a new machine

mrhyde

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005
First of all thanks for all the great information about the memory - and I'm sure you've answered my question, but I can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for. It's been a while since I've built a machine so I just want to make sure I'm getting the best parts.

I'm in the process of building a PC using the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (SLI) and I'm looking to end up with the best RAM (2GB) for the system. I've been reading and reading about different DDR and other settings. Money is not really an issue here as I've allocated for the best recommendation. I'm looking for raw speed and have kind of narrowed it down between OCZ and Muskin Redline (speed to cost ratio).

Any recommendations? I know it says PC3200 - DDR400 on the MSI website but I see some of the other test systems are using PC3700 - my only requirement is I want 2GB.... any help is welcome.

Thanks again for all the information guys...

Oh, and I probably won't do much if any overclocking on the system... I'm only going to have a single video card at first, then will add the other later....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go beyond PC3200 if you want to overclock, otherwise get the best PC3200 you can find.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2386" target="_new">Read this</A>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392" target="_new">an this</A>

And/or any anandtech review you find interesting

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Maybe I should post this somewhere else, but anyway:

Picking the right memory is typically a preference; there is no single memory that is better than the others.

The most reliable modules fall into class-3 below. Though they do not performa as high as performance modules, this class is geared towards reliability and data integrity. Personally, I prefer this class. Most enthusiasts prefer CLASS-1, whereas professionals (non-gamers) prefer CLASS-3.

Memory flavors:
1. Performance modules
2. OEM or third party
3. Major original
4. Major third party
5. Downgrades

<b>Performance Modules</b>
Typically any module rated to perform above the market standard.
examples: DDR500+, PC-3200 CL2 modules.

<b>OEM or third party</b>
Any company who builds modules using chips that are not their own brand. OEM (original equippment manufacturer) is a confusing term. OEM is normally described by: The original equipment comes from another company and is used to manufacter the modules.

<b>Major original</b>
Any major brand module where the chips and the modules are built by the same company.
Major brands:
Class1: Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Hynix
Class2: Elpida, Mosel, Toshiba, Nanya

<b>Major third party</b>
Modules manufactured by one company using major branded chips built by another company.

<b>Downgrades</b>
Modules built using downgraded chips. Sometimes, the chips fall short of their intended standard and have to be passed down to a new standard. Many of the chips are intended as 32M chips for example, but fall short of the memory density and thus are passed off at 16M chips instead.

*This info is based on personal experience.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<font color=white>

G

Umm interesting post!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Nice post!
You should do a memory FAQs sticky.
The FAQs for some of the other parts are really helpful, and I think that one for memory is really needed, because most people think that the only difference is the speed, so they buy the fastest RAM their mobo supports and think that by doing that they'll have great performance.

<font color=blue>If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on</font color=blue>