Sign in with
Your question

Computer Boot-up Issue

Last response: in Windows 7
September 30, 2012 7:43:27 AM

Hi All

Hoping you can help with an issue I've been having, I've recently built a new computer using an SSD for the first time, at first everything was going swimmingly but now my computer will not boot up on my first attempt to start it, here's what happens;

1. Press the Power on button, windows boots to logo screen then seems to crash (although the logo still looks to be doing that weird glow that it does on windows 7 - I.e. it's animation is still running) but goes no further (I've left it like this for an hour).

2. I press the reset button - this restarts the computer which I then get an error saying the system cannot find a suitable boot device.

3. I press the power off button, then power it on again - system boots fine within seconds like it normally would through an SSD.

Unsure if related but it looks like Flash is also crashing windows - when I watch a youtube video in full screen the video will stop but sound will continue, I can still select currently open programs but when I try to select the taskbar the start button goes white and I am unable to get into task manager. Event viewer brings back Event 41 - Kernal-Power and this has happened 4 times over a 3 month period.

If anyone knows what the error is, your help is much appreciated - my next step is to reinstall windows which I'm trying to avoid doing if at all possible.

P.s. I have changed my BIOS settins to ensure the SSD is first to boot up.

Specs;
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Motherboard Name Asus P8Z77-V (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Panther Point Z77, Intel Ivy Bridge
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/01/12 11:23:07 Ver: 12.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16076MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.0623 (English)
Page File: 2535MB used, 29612MB available

Description: Speakers (SB Recon3D PCIe)
Driver Version: 6.00.0100.1036 (English)

Drive: C:
Free Space: 153.8 GB
Total Space: 228.8 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SSA2S240GC2DE16-T A ATA Device (240GB PNY Pro SSD 256bit Encry)

Drive: D:
Free Space: 1309.1 GB
Total Space: 1907.7 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST2000DM001-1CH164 ATA Device

More about : computer boot issue

a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2012 8:55:39 AM

all this information regarding a problem to do with your ssd and you dont list what kind of ssd you have?

ill just throw this one out there. have you updated the firmware on your ssd? what about the bios of your motherboard?
m
l
September 30, 2012 9:01:39 AM

My first suggestion will be to boot in safe mode if you haven't done that yet.

Also, as "neon neophyte" mentioned, you need to check your motherboard compatibility with that particular SSD dive and make sure your Graphics Card, SSD and Motherboard drivers or firmware are the latest.

m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2012 10:06:03 AM

Oops, sorry thought the model may be enough - I've added the actual name under the 'Drive C' section.

Will update the firmware and see where that gets me - thanks for your responses.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2012 12:40:12 PM

Quote:
1. Press the Power on button, windows boots to logo screen then seems to crash (although the logo still looks to be doing that weird glow that it does on windows 7 - I.e. it's animation is still running) but goes no further (I've left it like this for an hour).

2. I press the reset button - this restarts the computer which I then get an error saying the system cannot find a suitable boot device.

3. I press the power off button, then power it on again - system boots fine within seconds like it normally would through an SSD.

This could well be a power supply issue, try if possible another power supply. It may also be a good idea to run a memory test program such as memtest86 for at least three passes.
m
l
October 2, 2012 7:43:33 PM

Thanks for your help so far - bit of an update;

Updated BIOS to latest version (which for some reason is now giving me a CPU fan error even though it's running and CPU temps are around 25C - I'll fix that later), changed the sata cable and power cable going to the SSD and switched SATA port which seemed to help.

Now, it boots up ok but after a random amount of time I get a BSOD (error 0x00000f4) and after the computer reboots the SSD isn't listed in the BIOS for about 2 restarts.

Will be running a memtest tonight as it's recommended they are run for 4hrs+ and I have a new 1200w modular power supply arriving tomorrow.

Will update tomorrow and can hopefully say it has been resolved. If the issues are still occuring, I suspect a faulty SSD - unless anyone can shine any more light on this.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 8:28:24 PM

firmware update on my ssd cleared my bluescreens right up. used to get them daily, now i get them never

i have an ocz vertex 3, bluescreens were a very common problem on the early firmware
m
l
October 4, 2012 4:45:45 PM

Update - Well, power supply upgrade hasn't worked and I cannot find any PNY firmware upgrades - I've contacted their support line and they don't think there are any but are checking for me.

Anyone know where to get PNY SSD firmware patches from?
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:56:42 PM

That BIOS error is actually Ram.

Do you have any spare Ram to test ? Alternatively, start the PC with just a Ram Module and see what happens
m
l
!