Desktop Group Policy not applying to XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Hi. I am trying to make some adjustments to group policy on a small network
with Win 2000 Servers and XP Pro workstations. The Windows 2000 servers
have been running for some time originally with 2000 workstations. The
workstations are being replaced with XP Pro workstations which are fresh
installs. I've setup some policies basic policies to distribute some
software and apply some general security settings and everything seems to be
working as expected.

But :) what I'm struggling to get control of is the desktop and start menu
items. I want to change the default desktop for the users so that by
default it includes My Computer, Documents, Network places etc. I tried
setting User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Remove My Computer icon
on the desktop to Disabled but the icons still don't appear.

Can anyone tell me how I can achieve the following :

- Set Appearance/Theme to Win XP Style (is it possible to specify blue,
green, silver etc ?)
- Display My Comp, My Docs, Network Places etc on the desktop
- Unlock and make the task bar visible, possibly adjust the default icons
which are on it ?
- Remove Windows Catalogue from the top of the start menu for all users
- Clear the Example Most Used programs listed in the start menu.
[All of the above to apply to all domain users]

Thanks for any help,
Stuart.
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop group policy applying
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    The only way I have found to set that stuff is by manually setting the way I
    want, then logging on with a different account (that is a member of the
    Local Administrators group) and copying the just configured user profile to
    the Default User profile (Start, right click My Computer, select Properties,
    select Advanced tab, click Settings in the User Profile frame).

    The Start Menu in particular is stored in a complicated set of registry
    entries. I've tried copying those to the Default User's hive, but that
    didn't work very well. I don't know of any Group Policy settings for
    controlling the Start Menu configuration.

    The "Remove My Computer" and other related settings merely remove those
    items if they are already on the desktop; they won't force them to apper if
    the're not there already.

    If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears because we struggled with this
    during a recent deployment of new computers.
    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Stuart" <newsgroup@microsoft.comm> wrote in message
    > Hi. I am trying to make some adjustments to group policy on a small
    > network with Win 2000 Servers and XP Pro workstations. The Windows 2000
    > servers have been running for some time originally with 2000 workstations.
    > The workstations are being replaced with XP Pro workstations which are
    > fresh installs. I've setup some policies basic policies to distribute
    > some software and apply some general security settings and everything
    > seems to be working as expected.
    >
    > But :) what I'm struggling to get control of is the desktop and start
    > menu items. I want to change the default desktop for the users so that by
    > default it includes My Computer, Documents, Network places etc. I tried
    > setting User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Remove My Computer
    > icon on the desktop to Disabled but the icons still don't appear.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how I can achieve the following :
    >
    > - Set Appearance/Theme to Win XP Style (is it possible to specify blue,
    > green, silver etc ?)
    > - Display My Comp, My Docs, Network Places etc on the desktop
    > - Unlock and make the task bar visible, possibly adjust the default icons
    > which are on it ?
    > - Remove Windows Catalogue from the top of the start menu for all users
    > - Clear the Example Most Used programs listed in the start menu.
    > [All of the above to apply to all domain users]
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Stuart.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    Hi Bruce. That's the way I decided to go.

    Thanks,
    Stuart.

    "Bruce Sanderson" <Bruce.Sanderson@junk.junk> wrote in message
    > The only way I have found to set that stuff is by manually setting the way
    > I want, then logging on with a different account (that is a member of the
    > Local Administrators group) and copying the just configured user profile
    > to the Default User profile (Start, right click My Computer, select
    > Properties, select Advanced tab, click Settings in the User Profile
    > frame).
    >
    > The Start Menu in particular is stored in a complicated set of registry
    > entries. I've tried copying those to the Default User's hive, but that
    > didn't work very well. I don't know of any Group Policy settings for
    > controlling the Start Menu configuration.
    >
    > The "Remove My Computer" and other related settings merely remove those
    > items if they are already on the desktop; they won't force them to apper
    > if the're not there already.
    >
    > If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears because we struggled with
    > this during a recent deployment of new computers.
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "Stuart" <newsgroup@microsoft.comm> wrote in message
    >> Hi. I am trying to make some adjustments to group policy on a small
    >> network with Win 2000 Servers and XP Pro workstations. The Windows 2000
    >> servers have been running for some time originally with 2000
    >> workstations. The workstations are being replaced with XP Pro
    >> workstations which are fresh installs. I've setup some policies basic
    >> policies to distribute some software and apply some general security
    >> settings and everything seems to be working as expected.
    >>
    >> But :) what I'm struggling to get control of is the desktop and start
    >> menu items. I want to change the default desktop for the users so that
    >> by default it includes My Computer, Documents, Network places etc. I
    >> tried setting User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Remove My
    >> Computer icon on the desktop to Disabled but the icons still don't
    >> appear.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how I can achieve the following :
    >>
    >> - Set Appearance/Theme to Win XP Style (is it possible to specify blue,
    >> green, silver etc ?)
    >> - Display My Comp, My Docs, Network Places etc on the desktop
    >> - Unlock and make the task bar visible, possibly adjust the default icons
    >> which are on it ?
    >> - Remove Windows Catalogue from the top of the start menu for all users
    >> - Clear the Example Most Used programs listed in the start menu.
    >> [All of the above to apply to all domain users]
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> Stuart.

Policy Desktops Workstations Microsoft Windows XP