I was using Excel and tried to access the help screen, a gray window opened
with no content. I had the Office XP installation disk "repair" the
installation. there was no change. I tried MSWord. Help screen was same
as in Excel - blank. I then tried to access Help and Support Center from
the Start Menu. It would not open. I solved the probem by running the
restore tool from the System Tools folder and setting the machine back to a
time 1 week earlier, but I have no idea what would cause this issue. My
machine uses ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Anti-Virus, Sunbelt CounterSpy and is
behind a router so I don't think it was the result of a malicious program.

Have a look here...

Read instructions at the top
Scroll down to:
235. Restore Help and Support Service

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Click on the ? Icon to Expand

[?] Why doesn't Help and Support work?

Fix Windows XP Help
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uQZ6OAVkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
> I was using Excel and tried to access the help screen, a gray window
> opened with no content. I had the Office XP installation disk "repair"
> the installation. there was no change. I tried MSWord. Help screen was
> same as in Excel - blank. I then tried to access Help and Support Center
> from the Start Menu. It would not open. I solved the probem by running
> the restore tool from the System Tools folder and setting the machine
> back to a time 1 week earlier, but I have no idea what would cause this
> issue. My machine uses ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Anti-Virus, Sunbelt
> CounterSpy and is behind a router so I don't think it was the result of a
> malicious program.

I undid restore and tried suggested fix. It didn't work.

> Have a look here...
>
> Read instructions at the top
> Scroll down to:
> 235. Restore Help and Support Service
>
> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
> Click on the ? Icon to Expand
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> [?] Why doesn't Help and Support work?
>
> Fix Windows XP Help
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uQZ6OAVkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
>> I was using Excel and tried to access the help screen, a gray window
>> opened with no content. I had the Office XP installation disk "repair"
>> the installation. there was no change. I tried MSWord. Help screen was
>> same as in Excel - blank. I then tried to access Help and Support Center
>> from the Start Menu. It would not open. I solved the probem by running
>> the restore tool from the System Tools folder and setting the machine
>> back to a time 1 week earlier, but I have no idea what would cause this
>> issue. My machine uses ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Anti-Virus, Sunbelt
>> CounterSpy and is behind a router so I don't think it was the result of a
>> malicious program.

Which suggested fix? There were three links.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e0xFkhgkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
> I undid restore and tried suggested fix. It didn't work.

>> Have a look here...
>>
>> Read instructions at the top
>> Scroll down to:
>> 235. Restore Help and Support Service
>>
>> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
>> Click on the ? Icon to Expand
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>
>> [?] Why doesn't Help and Support work?
>>
>> Fix Windows XP Help
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uQZ6OAVkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> I was using Excel and tried to access the help screen, a gray window
>>> opened with no content. I had the Office XP installation disk "repair"
>>> the installation. there was no change. I tried MSWord. Help screen
>>> was same as in Excel - blank. I then tried to access Help and Support
>>> Center from the Start Menu. It would not open. I solved the probem by
>>> running the restore tool from the System Tools folder and setting the
>>> machine back to a time 1 week earlier, but I have no idea what would
>>> cause this issue. My machine uses ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Anti-Virus,
>>> Sunbelt CounterSpy and is behind a router so I don't think it was the
>>> result of a malicious program.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

Haven't tried others yet.

> Which suggested fix? There were three links.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:e0xFkhgkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
>> I undid restore and tried suggested fix. It didn't work.

>>> Have a look here...
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>
>>> Read instructions at the top
>>> Scroll down to:
>>> 235. Restore Help and Support Service
>>>
>>> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
>>> Click on the ? Icon to Expand
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>>
>>> [?] Why doesn't Help and Support work?
>>>
>>> Fix Windows XP Help
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:uQZ6OAVkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>>> HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:

Let us know.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uOPBgXqkFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
>
> Haven't tried others yet.

>> Which suggested fix? There were three links.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:e0xFkhgkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> HKS <hk.sacks@ieee.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> I undid restore and tried suggested fix. It didn't work.

I tried using the suggestions from "Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and
Answers". Nothing worked until I reinstalled Help and Support using
C:\windows\inf\pchealth.inf.