Sign in with
Your question

Windows won't activate after new mobo

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 23, 2010 3:40:42 AM

My motherboard in my gt5628 took a crap so I had to buy a new one. I was on a budget so I had to buy and amd board with and amd cpu to replace the old intel mobo and cpu. I had to do a fresh install and everything was working fine. I got a message saying i need to activate windows so i entered to code from the back sticker on my case. It accepted it at first but when i restarted it got all sorts of messed up. Now it says it's not genuine and when i enter it again its says it isn't valid. On top of this it is making the windows programs spaz out and making it almost impossible to use. any suggestions as to what may be causing this and how i might fix it?

More about : windows activate mobo

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 7:35:53 AM

Contact Microsoft and explain that you are not trying to copy their software to a second computer just transfer it to a new motherboard in the same computer.

Believe it or not, Windows is designed so that you need their permission to do that !!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 6:29:59 PM

If you have an OEM install disc, you aren't going to get any help from Microsoft. It's designed to be installed once, and stay on that hardware.

If you have a retail disc, Microsoft can release the activation lock, and everything will be fine.
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2010 11:02:11 PM

Activate via phone is really easy. It can take as little as 5-10 minutes. As long as you have the OEM COA, you should be ok... When I've had to do it, I just tell them that my hard drive died.
m
l
April 26, 2010 11:37:21 AM

Even if you install it too many times on a same pc , eventually you will need to ask for activation again.
m
l
!