earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I have 512mb 400mhz MAJOR in my pc currently and I was wondering if I could had some Kingston 1024Mb PC3200 (400Mhz DDR) Dual Kit

My motherboard has 2 slots for dual channel memory and 2 for single channel. What I was wondering was if I could put the current single channel MAJOR ram I have in a single channel slot and have both dual slots occupied with the 1GIG. If I can would my pc run with 1.5gig with 1gig at dual channel and 512mb at single?

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You'll have to throw away(read it as 'sell') the original el-cheapo MAJOR 512MB DDR400 stick.
FYI: Original major brand modules are the most reliable memory modules on the market today.

Unless you are a gamer, there is little need for performance modules.

Buying memory is not so black and white:
The issue is integrity vs. performance, which depends on how the memory is used.

DUAL CHANNEL:
A property of the motherboard where the memory bus is split into two 64-bit channels, effectively doubling the bandwidth in relation to a single-channel setup. Dual-channel is not a property of the memory modules.

The motherboard is either dual-channel or single-channel.
If the motherboard is dual-channel then you need to run the memory in pairs.

You could split the pairs on a dual-channel setup:
Channel A: 512 + 512
Channel B: 1024 + 1024

This should work, but it is not a recommended memory setup.

Depending on what kind of work you do, you should stick with one of the following instead:
A 512 + 512 (normal WINXP user)
B 1024 + 1024 (advanced applications and games)

By the way, could you tell us what motherboard you are using?

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<font color=white>