[40k] 'escalation'

Hey all, question for all of you:

In escalation do ALL foot troops, including elites, fast attack (if they
don't have jump packs) and heavies?

OR

Is it only units from the 'troop' selection?

My group has been playing with the latter but someone that played with
us this weekend was adament that it was the former.

"Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hey all, question for all of you:
>
> In escalation do ALL foot troops, including elites, fast attack (if they
> don't have jump packs) and heavies?
>
> OR
>
> Is it only units from the 'troop' selection?
>
> My group has been playing with the latter but someone that played with
> us this weekend was adament that it was the former.

In Escalation, only infantry without transports start on the table. This
means no vehicles, bikes, artillery, cavalry, Jump Packs, Jet packs, etc.

If you look in the back of the book, they list the units from each codex and
what type of unit they are (infantry, artillery, etc.) In the above
question, they would get all of the foot troops. Also, Tau Crisis and
Stealth suits both have jet packs, so they don't start on the table.

Karyth Teel

> In Escalation, only infantry without transports start on the table. This
> means no vehicles, bikes, artillery, cavalry, Jump Packs, Jet packs, etc.
>
> If you look in the back of the book, they list the units from each codex and
> what type of unit they are (infantry, artillery, etc.) In the above
> question, they would get all of the foot troops. Also, Tau Crisis and
> Stealth suits both have jet packs, so they don't start on the table.
>
> Karyth Teel

Ever feel so dumb you want to crawl under a rock...

d <---- going to find a rock

"Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hey all, question for all of you:
>
> In escalation do ALL foot troops, including elites, fast attack (if they
> don't have jump packs) and heavies?
>
> OR
>
> Is it only units from the 'troop' selection?
>
> My group has been playing with the latter but someone that played with us
> this weekend was adament that it was the former.

I've not played escalation yet, but it's reading kind of vague. It says
basic infantry units that do not have transports, so I'd say it's Troops
selection only, but it doesn't explictly say Troops it could be argued the
other way. I suppose it could allow squads such as SM Devastators, SM
Assault without jump packs, Terminators (as examples for an SM army) as
these are not characters or any of the types listed in the explicit
exclusions, however I'd say that these are not "basic" units.

Dan

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Hey all, question for all of you:
>>
>> In escalation do ALL foot troops, including elites, fast attack (if they
>> don't have jump packs) and heavies?
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Is it only units from the 'troop' selection?
>>
>> My group has been playing with the latter but someone that played with us
>> this weekend was adament that it was the former.
>
> I've not played escalation yet, but it's reading kind of vague. It says
> basic infantry units that do not have transports, so I'd say it's Troops
> selection only, but it doesn't explictly say Troops it could be argued the
> other way. I suppose it could allow squads such as SM Devastators, SM
> Assault without jump packs, Terminators (as examples for an SM army) as
> these are not characters or any of the types listed in the explicit
> exclusions, however I'd say that these are not "basic" units.

Well, looking around at various batreps and discussions on the web, it seems
that it's taken as read that it's the former of your original options. I
might try and get an escalation game in this weekend - should suit my IG
against DE as my opponent's list is pretty much all mounted on Raiders ;)

Dan

> Well, looking around at various batreps and discussions on the web, it seems
> that it's taken as read that it's the former of your original options. I
> might try and get an escalation game in this weekend - should suit my IG
> against DE as my opponent's list is pretty much all mounted on Raiders ;)
>
> Dan

But if you are playing with escalation you are also playing with
concealment, your opponent can deploy further back in to thier lines
(deploying right at the edge of the table even) sit and do nothing until
reinforcements arrive :)

When the raiders get in they get to start at either 12" or 15" in which
means that they will hopefully get to strike the opponents whe have been
advancing in to get close enought to see your concealed troops. (which
is what I do when I play dark eldar and field raiders) it can be
wonderfully frustrating for your enemies, and although it may be kind of
cheezy, it plays out reasonably well in comparison to 'real life'
assault troops waiting for the enemy to get close enough to jump on them
and eat them alive.

later

> Well, looking around at various batreps and discussions on the web, it seems
> that it's taken as read that it's the former of your original options.

If that is the case, when fielding Tau, do Battlesuits count as basic
infantry?

>> Well, looking around at various batreps and discussions on the web, it
>> seems that it's taken as read that it's the former of your original
>> options.
>
> If that is the case, when fielding Tau, do Battlesuits count as basic
> infantry?

Appears so.

> "Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Well, looking around at various batreps and discussions on the web, it
>>> seems that it's taken as read that it's the former of your original
>>> options.
>>
>> If that is the case, when fielding Tau, do Battlesuits count as basic
>> infantry?
>
> Appears so.

Ooops, should have clarified that with "only Broadsides"

Dan