need help with network problem

July 25, 2005 5:58:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I have three sets of PC's.

[set A] PC's with 1 NIC linked to a UNIX server

[set B] PC's with 2 NICs, where 1 NIC connects to that UNIX server, and
1 NIC connects to a DSL router. And these PC's have Win 98 on them.

[set C] PC's with 2 NICs, where 1 NIC connects to that UNIX server, and
1 NIC connects to a DSL router. And these PC's have Win XP on them.

All use static IP addresses.

The first set of IPs are 192.168.0.1 (.2, .3, etc), which is the UNIX
side.
The second set of IPs are 192.168.1.1 (.2, .3, etc)
which is the DSL side.

PC's in set A and set B do not have problems.

However, PC's in set C have problems.
Every day, the NIC that is linked to the DSL router would lose link,
and cannot log onto the Internet. To fix this problem, I have to
disable the NIC, and enable it again, and then, I would have Internet
access immediately.

I know the DSL router is not the problem because when a PC in set C
loses DSL link, I would go to another PC in set C, and it still has DSL
link.

What could cause the NIC that is linked to the DSL to lose link, and
how can I fix this problem, so I don't have to keep on "disabling" and
"enabling" the NIC every day. Thanks.

More about : network problem

July 25, 2005 6:13:05 PM

"serendipity1276@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have three sets of PC's.
>
> [set A] PC's with 1 NIC linked to a UNIX server
>
> [set B] PC's with 2 NICs, where 1 NIC connects to that UNIX server, and
> 1 NIC connects to a DSL router. And these PC's have Win 98 on them.
>
> [set C] PC's with 2 NICs, where 1 NIC connects to that UNIX server, and
> 1 NIC connects to a DSL router. And these PC's have Win XP on them.
>
> All use static IP addresses.
>
> The first set of IPs are 192.168.0.1 (.2, .3, etc), which is the UNIX
> side.
> The second set of IPs are 192.168.1.1 (.2, .3, etc)
> which is the DSL side.
>
> PC's in set A and set B do not have problems.
>
> However, PC's in set C have problems.
> Every day, the NIC that is linked to the DSL router would lose link,
> and cannot log onto the Internet. To fix this problem, I have to
> disable the NIC, and enable it again, and then, I would have Internet
> access immediately.
>
> I know the DSL router is not the problem because when a PC in set C
> loses DSL link, I would go to another PC in set C, and it still has DSL
> link.
>
> What could cause the NIC that is linked to the DSL to lose link, and
> how can I fix this problem, so I don't have to keep on "disabling" and
> "enabling" the NIC every day. Thanks.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the NIC's. Try to find out when
exactly dsl connectivity is lost. Is the problem happening on 1 PC in set c
or all of them?
July 26, 2005 12:41:46 PM

Check duplex / speed settings, you might have mismatch. Recommended setting
is to use Auto on both, NIC and switch (router). All ourdays devices must
support Auto, and it is standard, however, implementation of manual setting
is left out of standard and is up to manufacture of the device how to handle
this.
Simply put - if device doesn't work with Auto (for both, speed and duplex) -
device is faulty.

!