help with closing disc

I've stored some files on CD (a year ago) and left the discs 'open' so I
could add more files later on. However, I've moved to another city and can't
find a computer that will recognize that my CD has any files on it at all!
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jay

Find a computer that has Roxio's CD-DVD Creator installed (including the
Drag-to-Disk component).

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Theoriemeister" <Theoriemeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've stored some files on CD (a year ago) and left the discs 'open' so I
> could add more files later on. However, I've moved to another city and
> can't
> find a computer that will recognize that my CD has any files on it at all!
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Jay

Thanks, Richard. Unfortunately, ALL the machines around here use NERO (I'm
on a college campus) for handling media stuff, and it was of no help. In
fact, my current machine (a Gateway) doesn't even recognize the disc at all.
The external CD drive (an iomega) shows the disc but doesn't read any files.
Still, I'll keep in mind the Roxio solution you proposed. Thanks again.

Jay

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Find a computer that has Roxio's CD-DVD Creator installed (including the
> Drag-to-Disk component).
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Theoriemeister" <Theoriemeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've stored some files on CD (a year ago) and left the discs 'open' so I
> > could add more files later on. However, I've moved to another city and
> > can't
> > find a computer that will recognize that my CD has any files on it at all!
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Jay

Check with the Roxio site. They have a free UDF utility that you can
install and access CDs created with their application. I am not sure if the
utility will allow you to close the CD, but you should be able to copy the
files and create a new non-UDF CD.

Don

> Thanks, Richard. Unfortunately, ALL the machines around here use NERO
> (I'm
> on a college campus) for handling media stuff, and it was of no help. In
> fact, my current machine (a Gateway) doesn't even recognize the disc at
> all.
> The external CD drive (an iomega) shows the disc but doesn't read any
> files.
> Still, I'll keep in mind the Roxio solution you proposed. Thanks again.
>
> Jay
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Find a computer that has Roxio's CD-DVD Creator installed (including the
>> Drag-to-Disk component).
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Theoriemeister" <Theoriemeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I've stored some files on CD (a year ago) and left the discs 'open' so
>> > could add more files later on. However, I've moved to another city and
>> > can't
>> > find a computer that will recognize that my CD has any files on it at
>> > all!
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Jay

Don:
Thanks. I know the disc was not created with Roxio, but rather with Windows
Explorer, I think. Still, I'll give it a shot.
Jay

"Don MI <>" wrote:

> Check with the Roxio site. They have a free UDF utility that you can
> install and access CDs created with their application. I am not sure if the
> utility will allow you to close the CD, but you should be able to copy the
> files and create a new non-UDF CD.
>
> Don
>
> "Theoriemeister" <Theoriemeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Richard. Unfortunately, ALL the machines around here use NERO
> > (I'm
> > on a college campus) for handling media stuff, and it was of no help. In
> > fact, my current machine (a Gateway) doesn't even recognize the disc at
> > all.
> > The external CD drive (an iomega) shows the disc but doesn't read any
> > files.
> > Still, I'll keep in mind the Roxio solution you proposed. Thanks again.
> >
> > Jay
> >
> > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Find a computer that has Roxio's CD-DVD Creator installed (including the
> >> Drag-to-Disk component).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Quote from: George Ankner
> >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >>
> >> "Theoriemeister" <Theoriemeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Jay.

Windows Explorer has never supported CD burning. The current burning utility
included with Windows XP does not support UDF {packet writing} format.

If you had Roxio installed on your old computer and dragged and dropped
files from Windows Explorer to a CD, you were actually using the Roxio UDF
support. If you had Nero installed, you would have been using its UDF
support. While both Roxio and Nero have optional UDF support, the actual
file format is not compatible between the two programs.

Don