How to kill a not responding program

Wilson

Sometimes when a program is not responding, I try to close it, but it just
can't. I hit ctrl-alt-del and try to close it using the task manager, wait
for a long time, and I see it is still there. I can't even re-start the
windows because it is stop at the freezed program. I need to hard start the
computer in order to get away of it.

Sometimes even a program can be killed, some of the icons in the system tray
is gone.

Is it something wrong with the Windows XP? or is it normal?

Wilson Chu

"Wilson" wrote:

> Sometimes when a program is not responding, I try to close it, but it just
> can't. I hit ctrl-alt-del and try to close it using the task manager, wait
> for a long time, and I see it is still there. I can't even re-start the
> windows because it is stop at the freezed program. I need to hard start the
> computer in order to get away of it.
>
> Sometimes even a program can be killed, some of the icons in the system tray
> is gone.
>
> Is it something wrong with the Windows XP? or is it normal?
>
> Wilson Chu

Press control alt delete but instead of closing the programme in
Applications close it in proccesses, this will stop the programme running
almost instantly and has always helped me

steven

Try the command line, goto start, then run, type in TSKILL ...
For example, if notepad was frozen, you would type in TSKILL NOTEPAD . Its
worth a try.

"Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes when a program is not responding, I try to close it, but it just
> can't. I hit ctrl-alt-del and try to close it using the task manager,
> wait
> for a long time, and I see it is still there. I can't even re-start the
> windows because it is stop at the freezed program. I need to hard start
> the
> computer in order to get away of it.
>
> Sometimes even a program can be killed, some of the icons in the system
> tray
> is gone.
>
> Is it something wrong with the Windows XP? or is it normal?
>
> Wilson Chu

dl

Has this allways happened, or just started?
Any particular App, or random?
May be a memory problem, you might want to test with memtest96
www.memtest.org
Its not normal, neither is it applicable to a good installation of Winxp
could also be a hw problem

"Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes when a program is not responding, I try to close it, but it just
> can't. I hit ctrl-alt-del and try to close it using the task manager,
wait
> for a long time, and I see it is still there. I can't even re-start the
> windows because it is stop at the freezed program. I need to hard start
the
> computer in order to get away of it.
>
> Sometimes even a program can be killed, some of the icons in the system
tray
> is gone.
>
> Is it something wrong with the Windows XP? or is it normal?
>
> Wilson Chu

Wilson

the program freez happen randomly, not very often though. Not a particular
software either. I though there maybe some bugs in Windows XP to may this
happen.

I ran the memtest96 one time for 2 days only, no error found. I heard this
memory test needs to be run for 15 days continously, and I just don't have
the time, or let the memtest to slow my work.

Wilson

"DL" wrote:

> Has this allways happened, or just started?
> Any particular App, or random?
> May be a memory problem, you might want to test with memtest96
> www.memtest.org
> Its not normal, neither is it applicable to a good installation of Winxp
> could also be a hw problem
>
> "Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sometimes when a program is not responding, I try to close it, but it just
> > can't. I hit ctrl-alt-del and try to close it using the task manager,
> wait
> > for a long time, and I see it is still there. I can't even re-start the
> > windows because it is stop at the freezed program. I need to hard start
> the
> > computer in order to get away of it.
> >
> > Sometimes even a program can be killed, some of the icons in the system
> tray
> > is gone.
> >
> > Is it something wrong with the Windows XP? or is it normal?
> >
> > Wilson Chu

Malke

Wilson wrote:

> the program freez happen randomly, not very often though. Not a
> particular
> software either. I though there maybe some bugs in Windows XP to may
> this happen.
>
> I ran the memtest96 one time for 2 days only, no error found. I heard
> this memory test needs to be run for 15 days continously, and I just
> don't have the time, or let the memtest to slow my work.

I don't know where you heard that about running Memtest, but that's
ridiculous. A few hours is sufficient. However, lots of other things
can cause your computer to lock up. No, that behavior is not normal for
XP; something is wrong on your computer. Unfortunately, we don't have
enough information about your system to give you focused
troubleshooting.

Start with doing clean-boot troubleshooting to determine if there is
something running that is causing the error:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

And of course you should make sure your computer is virus and
malware-free:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell