User Accounts and Cable Modem

July 25, 2005 6:37:07 PM

We just upgraded from dial-up to a cable modem. We set up email accounts
through the cable company and use their web-based mail system. Now when
trying to access one email account through only one user account setup in
Windows XP, we're getting errors and "Session timeout" warnings. It appears
like the second user account has some sort of corruption that won't recognize
the web-based mail system for more than a few moments. I know this is a
weird question, but any help would be appreciated!
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:48:02 PM

A couple pointers..

Web-browser based email.. disaster waiting to happen. I know, I'm
old-fashinged and prefer Outlook Express or MS Outlook. Flush your Internet
cache. There's also a setting you may want to change:

If using Internet Explorer:

| Tools | Internet Options |

In the 'Temporary Internet Files' mid-section of the 'General' folder, click
on the 'Settings' button. There'll be a list of options;

referencing, "Check for newer version of stored files". Select either
'Every visit to the page', or 'Never'.

My concern is that background operations may be causing the timeout. Doing
the above will help lessen any background operations. Also be on the alert
for spyware or Ad-generating software running on your PC.

Timeouts are also likely to occur when you first power-up your PC. Windows
XP along with Anti-virus software and various applications perform routine
Internet based checks looking to see if updates are available. The first 5
minutes of uptime on your PC is likely to see greater background web-browser
type activity capable of generating browser timeouts.
--
Cordially,
Wayne H. Wilhelm

"tturner72" wrote:

> We just upgraded from dial-up to a cable modem. We set up email accounts
> through the cable company and use their web-based mail system. Now when
> trying to access one email account through only one user account setup in
> Windows XP, we're getting errors and "Session timeout" warnings. It appears
> like the second user account has some sort of corruption that won't recognize
> the web-based mail system for more than a few moments. I know this is a
> weird question, but any help would be appreciated!
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:45:04 PM

Hey, that worked! Thanks a ton!

!