Question about alienware notebooks

mantisalien27

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Ok here is the notebook that i am probably going to get, now the reason that im posting here is that i want to know if with these specs it can run games like BF 1942, UT 03, and warcraft 3 smooth or not too choppy. Heres the specs:
P4 2.8 ghz processor 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache
512MB DDR RAM (which i will upgrade to 1024MB later)
Sound Blaster Pro 3D Audio
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 128MB DDR

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
It will run everything with ease. Although it is not the most advanced gaming notebook on the market.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
Yes it will. Cool machine, I have an older one and it rocks. But maybe you'd like to wait for the newer 9600 mobility, plus I think those won't come integrated, so you'll be able to upgrade it eventually, however right now it's the fastest notebook you can get.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
<<<What do you think is the most advanced?>>>

I think the Toshiba Satellite 5205-S705, or Dell Latitude D800 are the most advanced.

<<<But maybe you'd like to wait for the newer 9600 mobility, plus I think those won't come integrated, so you'll be able to upgrade it eventually>>>

That depends on the manufacturere. Alienware/Sager/Eurocom etc. and Toshiba choose not to mount their graphics array on a separate PCB, where as Dell does. Its ultimately up to the manufacturer.

<<<however right now it's the fastest notebook you can get>>>

Not really.

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
<<<however right now it's the fastest notebook you can get>>>

>>Not really.

Oh, you're right, just checked their website, go to customize and put a 3.06 and 1 gig of corsair ram. You could also throw in a DVD-rw. Now, yes, it's the fastest one you can get.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Im not sure. In the next month or two I believe.

<<<Oh, you're right, just checked their website, go to customize and put a 3.06 and 1 gig of corsair ram. You could also throw in a DVD-rw. Now, yes, it's the fastest one you can get.>>>

a 3.06GHz notebook may be the fastest processor you can get in a notebook, but 3D Performance is nothing to marvel at. If that notebook breaks 8000 3DMarks, I will be impressed. Not to mention that it should be classified as a notebook because it ways as much as some desktops, and battery life is shocking. It also has a sub-par LCD screen.

RaPTuRe

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
>>a 3.06GHz notebook may be the fastest processor you can get in a notebook, but 3D Performance is nothing to marvel at. If that notebook breaks 8000 3DMarks, I will be impressed.
Ok, then enlighten me, I'm guessing the other ones you mention use something better than a Mob 9000

>>Not to mention that it should be classified as a notebook because it ways as much as some desktops, and battery life is shocking.
I guess you mean "weighs". Ever heard of the term "desktop replacement"? You think an Alienware is for guys traveling overseas, using their notebooks on batteries?

>>It also has a sub-par LCD screen.
Oh, so you've seen one I bet. Usually you have to go a bit further than just writing statements.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
<<<Ok, then enlighten me, I'm guessing the other ones you mention use something better than a Mob 9000>>>

Yes the M9 was the first DirectX8 mobile graphics card. It was followed some time later by the GeForce 4 Go 4200 which is much faster, and is also DX8. The M10 (Mobility Radeon 9600) and the GeForce FX Go 5200 are both DirectX 9 cards and will absolutely obliterate an M7 or an M9.

<<<I guess you mean "weighs">>>

I do. It's late ok? ;)

<<<Ever heard of the term "desktop replacement"?>>>

Yes. I have a "desktop replacement" Dell Latitude D800. Pentium M 1.6GHz (Performs like a P4 2.4/2.5GHz), GeForce 4 Go 4200 64MB (that gets 10149 3DMarks in 2001SE, and 1300 in 3DMark 2003). I use it for Video Editing & Encoding, and kicking people at LANs. It weighs 7 pounds, and the battery lasts for 4.5hrs. up to 7 with two batts. That is a desktop replacement.

<<<You think an Alienware is for guys traveling overseas, using their notebooks on batteries?>>>

No, but that is what "notebooks" are primarily designed for.

<<<Oh, so you've seen one I bet. Usually you have to go a bit further than just writing statements>>>

Yes actually. I had a Sager that was all but identical to the Area 51. I sent it back. But one of my friends has an Area 51, he's constantly having difficulties with it even though he won't admit to it.

RaPTuRe

xlodo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Hmmm... you know I haven't been able to find the Dell you refer to, they mention the 4200 go but it doesn't appear in the configurations. I found another notebook with the 5600go, do you know anything about that one?
And the AW I have, even though it's a bit old, has one of the best displays I've ever seen, . A guy I know has a Chameleon, and is just as good, maybe a little bit better, but that probably has to do with the crazy color effects it gives when you change the viewing angle.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
<<<Hmmm... you know I haven't been able to find the Dell you refer to, they mention the 4200 go but it doesn't appear in the configurations.>>>

http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/model_inspn_inspn_8500.htm
http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/model_latit_latit_d800.htm
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_5205-S705.pdf

<<<I found another notebook with the 5600go, do you know anything about that one?>>>

Yes, its the GeForce Fx 5600 Mobile. It is a DX9 card and will perform well in FUTURE games. With a P4-m it scores about 8000 in 3DMark 2001SE, and 2000 in 3DMark 2003.

<<<And the AW I have, even though it's a bit old, has one of the best displays I've ever seen, . A guy I know has a Chameleon, and is just as good, maybe a little bit better, but that probably has to do with the crazy color effects it gives when you change the viewing angle.>>>

I agree, the display on the Sager/AW is very very good, but its not the best I've ever seen. In terms of Clarity, it would have to go to the Dell UltraSharp (W)UXGA, but the easiest-to-look at LCD I've seen so far, is the Toshiba CASV(Clear Advanced Super View) - it looks stunning.

RaPTuRe

TRENDING THREADS