Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

T5 Is THIS what you've been waiting for??

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:34:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Is THIS what you've been waiting for??

Enjoy :-)

http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....

KevinX

More about : waiting

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:34:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Kevin I Chapple wrote:

> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
>
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....

In my opinion, no. I was hoping to at least see Cobalt being used. Also, a
pen drive is not expensive so that 'big' added feature is futile.

By the way, you are the second day this morning (GMT) to link to a T5 page.
Where is T4 anyway? Is it only 'make belief' that the leap is big?

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:52:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Apparently" Roy, the T4 doesn't exist due to the superstitious buggers, and
the fact that they regard the number 4 as unlucky
There was no pPalmpilot 4 either. It was PalmIII then PalmV.

If you REALLY want to see T4, then I believe it is on Channel 4 :-)

Cheers




"Roy Schestowitz" <roy-at-schestowitz-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com>
wrote in message news:cjqqfj$2m7o$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>
> > Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
> >
> > Enjoy :-)
> >
> >
>
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> In my opinion, no. I was hoping to at least see Cobalt being used. Also, a
> pen drive is not expensive so that 'big' added feature is futile.
>
> By the way, you are the second day this morning (GMT) to link to a T5
page.
> Where is T4 anyway? Is it only 'make belief' that the leap is big?
>
> --
> Roy Schestowitz
> http://schestowitz.com
Related resources
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:13:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
> http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....

As a T3 owner, there's absolutely nothing about the T5 that would tempt me to
upgrade:

- Memory: less than my current T3 + SD card. I use Softick's excellent
Card Export which negages the need to use a card reader.

- No universal connector so my existing keyboard won't work with it

- Form factor may be an issue for some but I have no problems with the slider

I hope this model does well, but I assume any sales it does achieve will be to
new users or upgraders from older models. It's nothing like that leap forward
that the T3 was over the T or even the T2.

Glenn.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:13:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:13:51 +0100, Glenn Proctor wrote:

> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>>
>> Enjoy :-)
>>
>> http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> As a T3 owner, there's absolutely nothing about the T5 that would tempt me to
> upgrade:
>
> - Memory: less than my current T3 + SD card. I use Softick's excellent
> Card Export which negages the need to use a card reader.
>
> - No universal connector so my existing keyboard won't work with it
>
> - Form factor may be an issue for some but I have no problems with the slider
>
> I hope this model does well, but I assume any sales it does achieve will be to
> new users or upgraders from older models. It's nothing like that leap forward
> that the T3 was over the T or even the T2.

I'm a use of an older model - an m515. And this one offers little to tempt
me to upgrade that didn't exist in a T3 (slider or no).

Yes, I know there are those who benefit from the technological increases in
the newer handhelds. I probably would, too. But my m515 is not so slow that
it bothers me for what I use it for.

More than anything, I didn't like the feel of the TE in my hand or the feel
of the buttons - the opposite experience I have with my m515. And as the T5
seems simply to be an augmented TE, it's probably going to fall in the same
boat. But I'm reserving definitive judgement until I get my hands on one.

And still only Bluetooth? Totally useless to me. I have no bluetooth
peripherals and my cell phone company only has one model of phone with
bluetooth - and they just started selling that.

They're getting closer to what I'd like to buy. But they ain't there
yet..or again, as the case may be.

--
Derek

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:45:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Glenn Proctor" <none@null.com> wrote in message
news:cjqt7g$hql$1@helium.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk...
> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>>
>> Enjoy :-)
>>
>> http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> As a T3 owner, there's absolutely nothing about the T5 that would tempt me
> to upgrade:
>
> - Memory: less than my current T3 + SD card. I use Softick's excellent
> Card Export which negages the need to use a card reader.
>
> - No universal connector so my existing keyboard won't work with it
>
> - Form factor may be an issue for some but I have no problems with the
> slider
>
> I hope this model does well, but I assume any sales it does achieve will
> be to new users or upgraders from older models. It's nothing like that
> leap forward that the T3 was over the T or even the T2.
>
> Glenn.

Anything about the battery? Presumably they can put a larger battery in, but
I dont know if they did
--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:05:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <2scdbrF1hs1qnU1@uni-berlin.de>, Tumbleweed
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anything about the battery? Presumably they can put a larger battery in, but
> I dont know if they did

Boosted from the T3's 900 mAH to 1,300 mAH.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/10/04/cz_sk_1004t...

z
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:30:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Tumbleweed wrote:

> Anything about the battery? Presumably they can put a larger battery in, but
> I dont know if they did

I've not seen any mention of the T5 battery life. Anyway it'll be a while until
we get some real-life reports of how the battery holds up.

I've no problem with the T3 battery life. Obviously I'd like it to be longer,
but it suits my usage pattern.

Glenn.
October 4, 2004 1:30:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Glenn Proctor wrote:

> Tumbleweed wrote:
>
>> Anything about the battery? Presumably they can put a larger battery
>> in, but I dont know if they did
>
>
> I've not seen any mention of the T5 battery life. Anyway it'll be a
> while until we get some real-life reports of how the battery holds up.
>
> I've no problem with the T3 battery life. Obviously I'd like it to be
> longer, but it suits my usage pattern.
>
> Glenn.

Unless palm provide a driver for my palm t3 to connect with a nokia6230,
I won't be upgrading to a palm. I'll go to pocket pc (the dark side).

Ben.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:58:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <cjqpto$535$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,
"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote:

> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
> http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
> ct=IR&storyid=121177
>
> KevinX

Looks like a T|E on steroids. Not bad. But I'll stick with my T|E for
now. They had the common sense to omit a built-in camera, which would
have made it forbidden in many major companies and other places.

Regards,

-Doug
October 4, 2004 3:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Man, what a joke. I see Palm taking a hit on this one. I'm glad I have my
T3!

Marcus

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
news:cjqpto$535$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
> http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> KevinX
>
>
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:40:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

How is it possible to release a PDA without WLAN on board end of 2004? I was
looking to replace my two-year old TT, but probably have to look for an
IPAQ, God forbid.

Cheers, Thorbjorn

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
news:cjqpto$535$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
>
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> KevinX
>
>
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:50:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
> http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> KevinX
>
>
If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
T3, I will switch to iPaq.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

fm wrote:

> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>>
>> Enjoy :-)
>>
>>
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>>
>> KevinX
>>
>>
> If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
> T3, I will switch to iPaq.

Or just wait for a cobalt-based Palm. Does anybody know if Palm have some
big plans for the period before Christmas?

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:50:16 +0200, fm wrote:

> If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
> T3, I will switch to iPaq.

Its actually a replacement for the Tungsten E model, which was
their biggest seller. 21% of the last quarter's profits were from sales
of the Tungsten E device _alone_. That speaks volumes about where their
customer base is.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:50:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:47:27 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:50:16 +0200, fm wrote:
>
>> If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
>> T3, I will switch to iPaq.
>
> Its actually a replacement for the Tungsten E model, which was
> their biggest seller. 21% of the last quarter's profits were from sales
> of the Tungsten E device _alone_. That speaks volumes about where their
> customer base is.

I wonder, and I mean this will sincere curiosity, how many who bought the
TE were new customers or were upgrades. Concurrently, I wonder how many
people still have m515's or older and haven't liked the new designs so
haven't upgraded.

I mean, I can't be the ONLY person in the world who prefers the style of
the m515 to the style of the TE/T5. Of course, there are days when I
remember the style of my Vx (which my wife is now using) with fondness.

I'm honestly curious, and making no assertions about the frequency, or lack
there of, of upgrades.

(Note: the above comments are strictly about style. This has nothing to do
with the acknowledged fact that the TE is much more powerful and feature
rich than my m515.)

I wonder if CompUSA will have these in stock today. I'll be going by to
pick up a new fan for my desktop. It'd be a nice time to play.

--
Derek

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by
doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:50:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:34:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Or just wait for a cobalt-based Palm. Does anybody know if Palm have some
> big plans for the period before Christmas?

Yes, its called the Treo650, and that is coming out soon.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> I wonder if CompUSA will have these in stock today. I'll be going by to
> pick up a new fan for my desktop. It'd be a nice time to play.

Definitely not. They won't even be available until November 3rd -
that can't be a good sign. And from what I've read, reviewers aren't
even supposed to get advanced ones until this week.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 6:02:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Zeph <zeph@nospam.nowhere.net> wrote:
>Boosted from the T3's 900 mAH to 1,300 mAH.

So all other things being equal, it's gone from 3 hours to 4 hours.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 6:05:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Zeph <zeph@nospam.nowhere.net> wrote:
> http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/10/04/cz_sk_1004t...

/*
The T5 runs Palm OS 5.4, the latest version of the Palm operating
system
*/

Really?
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 6:20:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:<45selbg7zsjy$.dlg@gwinn.us>...
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:47:27 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:50:16 +0200, fm wrote:
> >
> >> If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
> >> T3, I will switch to iPaq.
> >
> > Its actually a replacement for the Tungsten E model, which was
> > their biggest seller. 21% of the last quarter's profits were from sales
> > of the Tungsten E device _alone_. That speaks volumes about where their
> > customer base is.
>
> I wonder, and I mean this will sincere curiosity, how many who bought the
> TE were new customers or were upgrades.

Replacement/upgrade for m125. Digitizer went bad on the m125.

> Concurrently, I wonder how many
> people still have m515's or older and haven't liked the new designs so
> haven't upgraded.
>
> I mean, I can't be the ONLY person in the world who prefers the style of
> the m515 to the style of the TE/T5. Of course, there are days when I
> remember the style of my Vx (which my wife is now using) with fondness.
>
> I'm honestly curious, and making no assertions about the frequency, or lack
> there of, of upgrades.
>
> (Note: the above comments are strictly about style. This has nothing to do
> with the acknowledged fact that the TE is much more powerful and feature
> rich than my m515.)

My brain doesn't work like yours, apparently. I care about how well
the darn thing works (and its price) and couldn't give a rip about its
looks. To me it is a tool, not a piece of jewelry. Although I've
noticed that a well designed tool usually has a good "look" to it.
Probably related to form following function. Not saying I'd want a
school bus yellow PDA with purple polka-dots on it. That would be
silly. But, again, good industrial design for function usually leads
to a pleasing form. My observation/opinion.

Regards,

-Doug
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 6:46:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 4 Oct 2004 12:41:18 -0700, John Newsome wrote:

>> I wonder if CompUSA will have these in stock today. I'll be going by to
>> pick up a new fan for my desktop. It'd be a nice time to play.
>
> Definitely not. They won't even be available until November 3rd -
> that can't be a good sign. And from what I've read, reviewers aren't
> even supposed to get advanced ones until this week.

That's ok. I'm not going to make it out today anyway. :) 

I knew it was a lark when I typed it. But a guy can hope, can't he?

--
Derek

Heffalumps to the left of me, woozles to the right.
Here I am, stuck in the middle with Pooh.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 9:09:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 4 Oct 2004 14:20:40 -0700, Doug Hoffman wrote:

> Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:<45selbg7zsjy$.dlg@gwinn.us>...
>> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:47:27 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:50:16 +0200, fm wrote:
>>>
>>>> If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
>>>> T3, I will switch to iPaq.
>>>
>>> Its actually a replacement for the Tungsten E model, which was
>>> their biggest seller. 21% of the last quarter's profits were from sales
>>> of the Tungsten E device _alone_. That speaks volumes about where their
>>> customer base is.
>>
>> I wonder, and I mean this will sincere curiosity, how many who bought the
>> TE were new customers or were upgrades.
>
> Replacement/upgrade for m125. Digitizer went bad on the m125.

Ok. You're in a different category. I should have specified "upgraded
purely by choice and not because their old unit died."

>> Concurrently, I wonder how many
>> people still have m515's or older and haven't liked the new designs so
>> haven't upgraded.
>>
>> I mean, I can't be the ONLY person in the world who prefers the style of
>> the m515 to the style of the TE/T5. Of course, there are days when I
>> remember the style of my Vx (which my wife is now using) with fondness.
>>
>> I'm honestly curious, and making no assertions about the frequency, or lack
>> there of, of upgrades.
>>
>> (Note: the above comments are strictly about style. This has nothing to do
>> with the acknowledged fact that the TE is much more powerful and feature
>> rich than my m515.)
>
> My brain doesn't work like yours, apparently. I care about how well
> the darn thing works (and its price) and couldn't give a rip about its
> looks. To me it is a tool, not a piece of jewelry. Although I've
> noticed that a well designed tool usually has a good "look" to it.
> Probably related to form following function. Not saying I'd want a
> school bus yellow PDA with purple polka-dots on it. That would be
> silly. But, again, good industrial design for function usually leads
> to a pleasing form. My observation/opinion.

It's not the only feature. I upgraded from my Palm III because I needed
more RAM. I bought a Vx even though there were III models that had the same
amount of RAM. There were two reasons. First, I liked the rechargable
battery. Second, I liked its style.

To buy a handheld SOLELY on style with no consideration to its
functionality would be pretty stupid.

--
Derek

"Stir, whip, stir, whip, whip, whip, stir. Beat!" - Chef Gormaanda
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 9:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> I mean, I can't be the ONLY person in the world who prefers the style of
> the m515 to the style of the TE/T5. Of course, there are days when I
> remember the style of my Vx (which my wife is now using) with fondness.
>
Yep! What upgrades do I want to see from my trusty m515? A better screen,
more memory and WiFi, if possible in a smaller package. I'm not going to pay
top price for anything less than all three.
October 4, 2004 11:05:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi,

"Roy Schestowitz" <roy-at-schestowitz-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com> a
écrit dans le message de news:cjqqfj$2m7o$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>
> > Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
> >
> > Enjoy :-)
> >
> >
>
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> In my opinion, no. I was hoping to at least see Cobalt being used. Also, a
> pen drive is not expensive so that 'big' added feature is futile.
>
> By the way, you are the second day this morning (GMT) to link to a T5
page.
> Where is T4 anyway? Is it only 'make belief' that the leap is big?
>
> --
> Roy Schestowitz
> http://schestowitz.com

There will never be any Palm handheld series released that would have a "4"
in its name. The reason is that, in chinese laguage it is, as far as I
remember, the same wort for "death". Not a matter of superstition. I guess
it's more likely regarding sales in this part of the world...

Cheers,
Laurent.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:13:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
news:cjqpto$535$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
: Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
:
: Enjoy :-)
:
:
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
:
: KevinX
:
Nope where is the WiFi? disappointing! Those VGA pocket PC's are looking
better and better...
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
news:cjqpto$535$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
: Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
:
: Enjoy :-)
:
:
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
:
: KevinX
:
I'd like to see, a much bigger high res screen maybe 4 - 5 inches at least
VGA with WIFI and Bluetooth much more audio / video and web functionality.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:50:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Amphora" <FJ10000PANTS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'd like to see, a much bigger high res screen maybe 4 - 5 inches at least

The T3 screen is very nearly 4" already, isn't the T5 the same screen?
October 5, 2004 12:25:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:50:01 GMT, Amphora wrote:

> I'd like to see, a much bigger high res screen maybe 4 - 5 inches at least
> VGA with WIFI and Bluetooth much more audio / video and web functionality.

And a replaceable rechargeable battery, which for your desired
device may require a 6 volt Sears DieHard. :) 
October 5, 2004 12:30:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message news:5043m0hmdaqj9cej52lu8l0hp75m9t9e34@4ax.com...
> Zeph <zeph@nospam.nowhere.net> wrote:
> >Boosted from the T3's 900 mAH to 1,300 mAH.
>
> So all other things being equal, it's gone from 3 hours to 4 hours.

Are "all other things" equal? I seem to recall that some of the rumours
were saying that the newer Intel ARM implementations have variable
clock rate technology (like the stuff in laptops, or the Sony TH55) that
might stretch battery life a bit more. I guess that there haven't been
dramatic improvements though otherwise PalmOne would have been
shouting about them in the launch publicity.

All in all, I'm very dissapointed. I fear that my TH55 might be my last
PalmOS device before switching to PPC in a couple of years time.

- Julian
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:45:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"BillB" <rainbose@earthlink.newt> wrote in message
news:05c3m0tigt8p3udfcebi26ljvg8gtgng3m@4ax.com...
: On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:50:01 GMT, Amphora wrote:
:
: > I'd like to see, a much bigger high res screen maybe 4 - 5 inches at
least
: > VGA with WIFI and Bluetooth much more audio / video and web
functionality.
:
: And a replaceable rechargeable battery, which for your desired
: device may require a 6 volt Sears DieHard. :) 

Yes that is a good idea, indeed many of the newer pocket pc devices sport
replaceable batteries. A 2100mAH LiIon otta do it...
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:49:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:27:39 GMT, "JohnW"
<news@removethisbittoreplyhardcafe.co.uk> wrote:

>> I mean, I can't be the ONLY person in the world who prefers the style of
>> the m515 to the style of the TE/T5. Of course, there are days when I
>> remember the style of my Vx (which my wife is now using) with fondness.
>>
>Yep! What upgrades do I want to see from my trusty m515? A better screen,
>more memory and WiFi, if possible in a smaller package. I'm not going to pay
>top price for anything less than all three.

Which is exactly why I'm so big on my Sony Clie TH-55. Sure, it's
discontinued, but in a few years I'll want a newer, fancier one
anyway.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:20:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Glenn Proctor wrote:

>
> - No universal connector so my existing keyboard won't work with it

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Might put me off upgrading from my T1.

> - Form factor may be an issue for some but I have no problems with the
> slider

I like it.


--
Ben Thomas
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:30:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Derek wrote:

> And still only Bluetooth? Totally useless to me. I have no bluetooth
> peripherals and my cell phone company only has one model of phone with
> bluetooth - and they just started selling that.

No WiFi? Pathetic.

Can't you buy a cellphone from a regular shop and use it with your preferred
network?

--
Ben Thomas
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:47:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Nope. No Wi-Fi. I'll stick with my TH55.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:57:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Julian" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
news:Lpi8d.208060$hZ3.116235@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> All in all, I'm very dissapointed. I fear that my TH55 might be my
> last PalmOS device before switching to PPC in a couple of years time.

I hear you. The TH55 caused me to switch *from* PPC to Palm, and at this
point, there's no Palm device to replace it.

Clue to Palm: WiFi is not optional on a $400 PDA. Stupid decisions like
this are why your market share is dropping.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
October 5, 2004 3:18:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in news:8tesjc.01p.ln@192.168.11.2:

> Derek wrote:
>
>> And still only Bluetooth? Totally useless to me. I have no bluetooth
>> peripherals and my cell phone company only has one model of phone
>> with bluetooth - and they just started selling that.
>
> No WiFi? Pathetic.
>

Logic compile failed at message xxxx.xx: WiFi != Bluetooth
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 3:18:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:18:29 -0000, Kurt wrote:

> BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in news:8tesjc.01p.ln@192.168.11.2:
>
>> Derek wrote:
>>
>>> And still only Bluetooth? Totally useless to me. I have no bluetooth
>>> peripherals and my cell phone company only has one model of phone
>>> with bluetooth - and they just started selling that.
>>
>> No WiFi? Pathetic.
>>
>
> Logic compile failed at message xxxx.xx: WiFi != Bluetooth

Since when?

Wi-fi is 802.11a, b or g. (It's also a registered trademark.)

--
Derek

"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce themselves
to you in the men's room. It's the most bizarre part of this entire thing."
- Senator John F. Kerry, speaking on "The Daily Show" about life as a
presidential candidate.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:47:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Glen,

Mail me direct??


"Glenn Proctor" <none@null.com> wrote in message
news:cjqt7g$hql$1@helium.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk...
> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> > Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
> >
> > Enjoy :-)
> >
> >
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> As a T3 owner, there's absolutely nothing about the T5 that would tempt me
to
> upgrade:
>
> - Memory: less than my current T3 + SD card. I use Softick's excellent
> Card Export which negages the need to use a card reader.
>
> - No universal connector so my existing keyboard won't work with it
>
> - Form factor may be an issue for some but I have no problems with the
slider
>
> I hope this model does well, but I assume any sales it does achieve will
be to
> new users or upgraders from older models. It's nothing like that leap
forward
> that the T3 was over the T or even the T2.
>
> Glenn.
October 5, 2004 5:14:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Julian" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>some of the rumours
>were saying that the newer Intel ARM implementations have variable
>clock rate technology...might stretch battery life a bit more.

With the old mono screens, the biggest current draw was the processor. For that
reason slowing the processor could make a *big* difference. For example, I was
able to get almost 50 hours out of my m125 at 16MHz vs around 35 hours at 33MHz
(per a battery monitoring program-mainly ebook reading) on one set of batteries.
However with the new high resolution color screen models, the screen has a much
larger current draw. So slowing the processor has much less of an effect on
battery life. But every little bit helps. Currently my color model stays home on
camping trips and long plane rides. Hopefully some day that won't be the case...
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <OSa8d.82$rh1.1538@news2.e.nsc.no>, fm
<postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> If the T5 as presented on PalmOne's web-site is the replacement for the
> T3, I will switch to iPaq.

I am still happy on my T2!

This T5 looked too similar to T/E!

--
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:50:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <45selbg7zsjy$.dlg@gwinn.us>, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:

> I wonder, and I mean this will sincere curiosity, how many who bought the
> TE were new customers or were upgrades. Concurrently, I wonder how many
> people still have m515's or older and haven't liked the new designs so
> haven't upgraded.

I liked the M515 too. But if only the screen was high res and there's
bluetooth...

--
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 9:18:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Mike Koenecke <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in
news:npd3m0llup5i49cjs3vliqg5h1f2e9rflf@4ax.com:

> Which is exactly why I'm so big on my Sony Clie TH-55. Sure, it's
> discontinued, but in a few years I'll want a newer, fancier one
> anyway.

Bingo. It's the machine that brought me to the Palm world from PPC. A
second or third generation TH55 would be nearly perfect... the T5 is a very
weak effort by comparison.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:09:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>
> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??

Well, I'll pitch my two cents in. If this *hadn't* had Bluetooth, and
been at the E's pricepoint, I'd be buying one very quick.

I *love* my E. No Bluetooth, no wifi, no camera, no voice recorder.
Perfect! Wonderful screen (no humming here, just luck, I guess) and a
form factor that's close enough to my beloved 505 to be acceptable.

I remember when the E came out and my one and only *real* wish was the
320*480. Sure, a better battery would have been nice, the lack of a UC
was disappointing, but not a deal breaker, and for my usage, the
processor was certainly adequate.

Now they come out with what is essentially a T|E2 with a better battery,
more memory, a funky USB drive kinda thing that I'm ambivalent about,
what looks like a gorgeous landscabable screen and they screw me out of
it with BT.

So close, yet so far. Damn.

--
Mitch
Killer swans drown two dogs, PETA spokesman left speechless.
www.fark.com
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:31:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In message <cjqt7g$hql$1@helium.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> Glenn Proctor
<none@null.com> wrote:

> - No universal connector so my existing keyboard won't work with it

???

No UC? Seriously? What the hell are they thinking?


--
I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Mitchell Swan <Mitchell_C_Swan@raytheon.com> wrote:
>Now they come out with what is essentially a T|E2 with a better battery,
>more memory, a funky USB drive kinda thing that I'm ambivalent about,
>what looks like a gorgeous landscabable screen and they screw me out of
>it with BT.

Well, you can still buy it and leave the BT turned off. Costs a bit
more than it would have otherwise, but not by a lot...
October 5, 2004 2:00:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
news:cjqpto$535$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Is THIS what you've been waiting for??
>
> Enjoy :-)
>
>
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory....
>
> KevinX
>
>

Not at that price. I am afraid to buy almost anything over $250 (except the
Treo) from Palm due to their newly acquired lack of quality control and /or
poor material choices. A T|E, yes. A Zire 72 on sale for $250- maybe. My T|E
has a chipped case, and there is no way to buy a replacement part- and I am
certainly not spending $135 to get it fixed. I really like the T|E, so I
live with it- but I now know better than to spend too much on a Palm.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 2:06:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

William, P.N., Smith wrote:
>
>
> Well, you can still buy it and leave the BT turned off. Costs a bit
> more than it would have otherwise, but not by a lot...

Bad netiquette or not, I'm copying my reply to ROMAD because I didn't
realize that he stripped out the other groups, and you, William, didn't,
so to get this to the other groups, here goes...

Well, it has the capability, so it kills it for me.

I went through this with others back when the E came out, but I work in
a classified environment and having even the capability to transmit
wirelessly, take pictures, or record anything is a real good way to find
yourself in the unemployment line. They don't even like IR but I think
they're resigned to it. I do, however, have to cover the IR port with
lead tape.

Hence my love of the E. Buying it was the only thing I could do without
stepping way down to the Zire or staying with my 505, which was rapidly
becoming unreliable.

I also realize that I am in the VAST minority, which is why you won't
see my ranting about how stupid pOne was for including BT, but I was
really hoping for nothing more than a souped up E with 320*480. Hey, I
can dream, can't I?

--
Mitch
Killer swans drown two dogs, PETA spokesman left speechless.
www.fark.com
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 5:23:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<< Well, I'll pitch my two cents in. If this *hadn't* had Bluetooth, and
been at the E's pricepoint, I'd be buying one very quick.


Now they come out with what is essentially a T|E2 with a better battery,
more memory, a funky USB drive kinda thing that I'm ambivalent about,
what looks like a gorgeous landscabable screen and they screw me out of
it with BT. >>

You do know that you can turn Bluetooth OFF and ignore it, don't you? I have a
T1 and have Bluetooth turned off because there isn't a need for it. For me the
deal breaker is no UC; the good news is that I can now get a few T3s at
closeout prices. With PalmSource dropping Mac support for POS 6, I will have to
stay with POS 5 devices.

Dennis B. Swaney
remove .zz to reply
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 5:23:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

ROMAD wrote:
>
>
> You do know that you can turn Bluetooth OFF and ignore it, don't you? I have a
> T1 and have Bluetooth turned off because there isn't a need for it. For me the
> deal breaker is no UC; the good news is that I can now get a few T3s at
> closeout prices. With PalmSource dropping Mac support for POS 6, I will have to
> stay with POS 5 devices.

Well, it has the capability, so it kills it for me.

I went through this with others back when the E came out, but I work in
a classified environment and having even the capability to transmit
wirelessly, take pictures, or record anything is a real good way to find
yourself in the unemployment line. They don't even like IR but I think
they're resigned to it. I do, however, have to cover the IR port with
lead tape.

Hence my love of the E. Buying it was the only thing I could do without
stepping way down to the Zire or staying with my 505, which was rapidly
becoming unreliable.

I also realize that I am in the VAST minority, which is why you won't
see my ranting about how stupid pOne was for including BT, but I was
really hoping for nothing more than a souped up E with 320*480. Hey, I
can dream, can't I?

--
Mitch
Killer swans drown two dogs, PETA spokesman left speechless.
www.fark.com
!