Full System Restore/Restore Factory settings

How do I do a restore to factory settings? The only thing I have been able to
find is a system restore to an earlier date, could someone help me please?
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about full system restore restore factory settings

    In news:A62C2108-CFF8-45FC-86DF-19FCF9CDFCDB@microsoft.com,
    Andrew Karasek <Andrew Karasek@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How do I do a restore to factory settings? The only thing I
    > have been
    > able to find is a system restore to an earlier date, could
    > someone
    > help me please? Thanks

    The System Restore feature (to an earlier date) you mention is a
    Windows function.

    There is no Windows function to restore the system to factory
    settings. If yours is an OEM system (for example, came with
    Windows pre-installed) your OEM may provide such a function. How
    to do it is different depending on your system; check your system
    documentation, or contact your vendor.

    However why do you want to do this? In my view, it's usually a
    mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never be necessary to
    reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've run Windows
    3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and
    Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next version
    came out, and each on two machines here. I never reinstalled any
    of them, and I have never had anything more than an occasional
    minor problem.
    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Do you have an OEM restore disk from the pc maker? If so boot from it and
    follow the prompts. Warning! This will wipe the drive.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Andrew Karasek" wrote:
    | How do I do a restore to factory settings? The only thing I have been able
    | find is a system restore to an earlier date, could someone help me please?
    | Thanks
  3. Basically I have a trojen Virus and reading about this virus it is telling me that Anti Virus software will not get rid of it. Therefore Im thinking I need to recover my system files using a recovery disk or reinstalling windows?? But I dont have the windows disk to be able to do this? what do I do???
  4. Depends on the model. Sometimes you just need to hit the right key on bootup to get into a recovery partition. Failing that try counterspy 15 day trial, ad-aware, spybot and a few others people will probably add onto the thread.
  5. Ive got a HP Pavillion DV6000 thing is reading about the trojen it aparently gets into drivers and doesnt clear? I have Spyware Docter but It dont seem to be working and my pc is playing up a treat.
  6. What is the name of the virus? Do a google search on the virus and see if there is a third party uninstal/cleaner for it. I have ran into many virus/trojan/malware that could not be cleaned by normal anti-virus programs but a 3rd party program did the trick.
  7. Quote:

    How do I do a restore to factory settings? The only thing I have been able to
    find is a system restore to an earlier date, could someone help me please?
    Thanks

Factory Restore Microsoft System Restore Windows XP