How to customize the autoPlay menu?

Hi all,

Windows XP has the following feature: when you plug a memory stick in a
USB port, a little dialog box will be shown up and let you select what
you want to do. I want to add an icon and a menu such as "Launch
MyProgram.exe" in that dialog box, so user can launch my application
program right away. I think I should register some event handler in the
registry. I read "Preparing Hardware and Software for Use with
AutoPlay" in MSND library. I am still confused. Please give me some
simple and clear instructions!

Thanks a lot!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about customize autoplay menu

    Hi,

    You can easily create custom Autoplay handlers with TweakUI for Windows XP. Under TweakUI, navigate
    to My Computer/Autoplay/Handlers and click on 'create'. You can download TweakUI from:

    Make sure you download the version of TweakUI which is designed for x86 systems.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <barbara_dave@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Windows XP has the following feature: when you plug a memory stick in a
    > USB port, a little dialog box will be shown up and let you select what
    > you want to do. I want to add an icon and a menu such as "Launch
    > MyProgram.exe" in that dialog box, so user can launch my application
    > program right away. I think I should register some event handler in the
    > registry. I read "Preparing Hardware and Software for Use with
    > AutoPlay" in MSND library. I am still confused. Please give me some
    > simple and clear instructions!
    >

    > Thanks a lot!!!

    Thank you so much for the instructions. I downloaded TweakUI and use
    "Create" button to add an icon and "Launch myprogram.exe" in autoPlay
    menu. When I plug memory stick in, the icon and menu "Launch
    myprogram.exe" is there, but it won't launch my program when I click
    it. Did I do something wrong?

    Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can easily create custom Autoplay handlers with TweakUI for Windows XP. Under TweakUI, navigate
    > to My Computer/Autoplay/Handlers and click on 'create'. You can download TweakUI from:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > Make sure you download the version of TweakUI which is designed for x86 systems.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > <barbara_dave@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Windows XP has the following feature: when you plug a memory stick in a
    > > USB port, a little dialog box will be shown up and let you select what
    > > you want to do. I want to add an icon and a menu such as "Launch
    > > MyProgram.exe" in that dialog box, so user can launch my application
    > > program right away. I think I should register some event handler in the
    > > registry. I read "Preparing Hardware and Software for Use with
    > > AutoPlay" in MSND library. I am still confused. Please give me some
    > > simple and clear instructions!
    > >

    > > Thanks a lot!!!

    Hi Barbara,

    You will have to know the exact command line that the application supports. This depends on
    application to application. You should contact the author of the program for the command line
    switches.

    --

    > Thank you so much for the instructions. I downloaded TweakUI and use
    > "Create" button to add an icon and "Launch myprogram.exe" in autoPlay
    > menu. When I plug memory stick in, the icon and menu "Launch
    > myprogram.exe" is there, but it won't launch my program when I click
    > it. Did I do something wrong?
    >

    > Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can easily create custom Autoplay handlers with TweakUI for Windows XP. Under TweakUI,
    >> navigate
    >> to My Computer/Autoplay/Handlers and click on 'create'. You can download TweakUI from:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >>
    >> Make sure you download the version of TweakUI which is designed for x86 systems.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> <barbara_dave@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > Windows XP has the following feature: when you plug a memory stick in a
    >> > USB port, a little dialog box will be shown up and let you select what
    >> > you want to do. I want to add an icon and a menu such as "Launch
    >> > MyProgram.exe" in that dialog box, so user can launch my application
    >> > program right away. I think I should register some event handler in the
    >> > registry. I read "Preparing Hardware and Software for Use with
    >> > AutoPlay" in MSND library. I am still confused. Please give me some
    >> > simple and clear instructions!
    >> >

    >> > Thanks a lot!!!

    Actually I am the author of the program. The program can process a .dat
    file. I added file association with the program. when the user double
    click the .dat file, the program will be launched. Sometimes, the .dat
    files are stored in a memory stick. I like to add the feature when the
    user plug in memory stick in the usb port, if the .dat files are
    detected, the autoplay menu will allow the user select "launch
    myprogram.exe" option. I hope I can do this during the program
    installation. TweakUI can't do this automatically on the customer's
    computer.

    Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > Hi Barbara,
    >
    > You will have to know the exact command line that the application supports. This depends on
    > application to application. You should contact the author of the program for the command line
    > switches.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > <barbara_dave@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you so much for the instructions. I downloaded TweakUI and use
    > > "Create" button to add an icon and "Launch myprogram.exe" in autoPlay
    > > menu. When I plug memory stick in, the icon and menu "Launch
    > > myprogram.exe" is there, but it won't launch my program when I click
    > > it. Did I do something wrong?
    > >

    > > Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> You can easily create custom Autoplay handlers with TweakUI for Windows XP. Under TweakUI,
    > >> navigate
    > >> to My Computer/Autoplay/Handlers and click on 'create'. You can download TweakUI from:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > >>
    > >> Make sure you download the version of TweakUI which is designed for x86 systems.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Anando
    > >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > >> http://www.mvps.org
    > >>
    > >> In memory of Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > >>
    > >> Folder customizations
    > >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    > >>
    > >> Protect your PC!
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >>

    > >> <barbara_dave@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    Hello Barbara,

    Sorry, I am not sure how that should be done. Good luck !

    --

    > Actually I am the author of the program. The program can process a .dat
    > file. I added file association with the program. when the user double
    > click the .dat file, the program will be launched. Sometimes, the .dat
    > files are stored in a memory stick. I like to add the feature when the
    > user plug in memory stick in the usb port, if the .dat files are
    > detected, the autoplay menu will allow the user select "launch
    > myprogram.exe" option. I hope I can do this during the program
    > installation. TweakUI can't do this automatically on the customer's
    > computer.
    >

    > Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    >> Hi Barbara,
    >>
    >> You will have to know the exact command line that the application supports. This depends on
    >> application to application. You should contact the author of the program for the command line
    >> switches.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> <barbara_dave@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you so much for the instructions. I downloaded TweakUI and use
    >> > "Create" button to add an icon and "Launch myprogram.exe" in autoPlay
    >> > menu. When I plug memory stick in, the icon and menu "Launch
    >> > myprogram.exe" is there, but it won't launch my program when I click
    >> > it. Did I do something wrong?

Customization Windows XP