I have a really interesting problem........

Ok here is my problem in the most detail i can give.........I believe somehow
Windows XP Home Edition is running in 16-bit mode.....The Reason why I think
this is because that i cannot run 32 bit dos programs and such as cmd.exe or
others that require a 32 bit. I dont have to re install windows to correct
this do I? And if I don't how do i go about fixing it....Thanks in advanced.

Cmd isn't a Dos program (there are such things as 32 bit dos programs but windows doesn't have any but can run some of them - a lot of old dos games were 32 bit sort of). It is a console program. Dos programs also are console programs.

What happens.

"Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD401FEF-3F28-4EA4-A341-802564705246@microsoft.com...
> Ok here is my problem in the most detail i can give.........I believe somehow
> Windows XP Home Edition is running in 16-bit mode.....The Reason why I think
> this is because that i cannot run 32 bit dos programs and such as cmd.exe or
> others that require a 32 bit. I dont have to re install windows to correct
> this do I? And if I don't how do i go about fixing it....Thanks in advanced.

ok this is the error message is recieve........ and the title of the form
is 16-bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM

C:\windows\system32\cmd.com
C:\windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.
Buttons: Close Ignore
and when i press Ignore the program terminates anyways.....so what do I do????

"David Candy" wrote:

> Cmd isn't a Dos program (there are such things as 32 bit dos programs but windows doesn't have any but can run some of them - a lot of old dos games were 32 bit sort of). It is a console program. Dos programs also are console programs.
>
> What happens.

> "Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD401FEF-3F28-4EA4-A341-802564705246@microsoft.com...
> > Ok here is my problem in the most detail i can give.........I believe somehow
> > Windows XP Home Edition is running in 16-bit mode.....The Reason why I think
> > this is because that i cannot run 32 bit dos programs and such as cmd.exe or
> > others that require a 32 bit. I dont have to re install windows to correct
> > this do I? And if I don't how do i go about fixing it....Thanks in advanced.

Mike

Splendid

Try going to start, run. Type cmd and hit enter. Have you run your antivirus
software? Removed all spyware?

"Master Jedi" wrote:

> ok this is the error message is recieve........ and the title of the form
> is 16-bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM
>
> C:\windows\system32\cmd.com
> C:\windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
> Buttons: Close Ignore
> and when i press Ignore the program terminates anyways.....so what do I do????
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
> > Cmd isn't a Dos program (there are such things as 32 bit dos programs but windows doesn't have any but can run some of them - a lot of old dos games were 32 bit sort of). It is a console program. Dos programs also are console programs.
> >
> > What happens.
> >
> > --
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
> > "Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD401FEF-3F28-4EA4-A341-802564705246@microsoft.com...
> > > Ok here is my problem in the most detail i can give.........I believe somehow
> > > Windows XP Home Edition is running in 16-bit mode.....The Reason why I think
> > > this is because that i cannot run 32 bit dos programs and such as cmd.exe or
> > > others that require a 32 bit. I dont have to re install windows to correct
> > > this do I? And if I don't how do i go about fixing it....Thanks in advanced.

Malke

Master Jedi wrote:

> ok this is the error message is recieve........ and the title of the
> form is 16-bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM
>
> C:\windows\system32\cmd.com
> C:\windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.
> Buttons: Close Ignore
> and when i press Ignore the program terminates anyways.....so what do
> I do????
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Cmd isn't a Dos program (there are such things as 32 bit dos programs
>> but windows doesn't have any but can run some of them - a lot of old
>> dos games were 32 bit sort of). It is a console program. Dos programs
>> also are console programs.
>>
>> What happens.
>>

>> "Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok here is my problem in the most detail i can give.........I
>> > believe somehow Windows XP Home Edition is running in 16-bit
>> > mode.....The Reason why I think this is because that i cannot run
>> > 32 bit dos programs and such as cmd.exe or others that require a 32
>> > bit. I dont have to re install windows to correct this do I? And if
>> > I don't how do i go about fixing it....Thanks in advanced.

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

This can also be caused by malware.

Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
installed:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
the KB article above.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

you answered my questions thank you....also yes I did indeed have
AVAST....sigh it was such a good virus removal tool........sigh....but now im
going to use BitDefender....

"Malke" wrote:

> Master Jedi wrote:
>
> > ok this is the error message is recieve........ and the title of the
> > form is 16-bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM
> >
> > C:\windows\system32\cmd.com
> > C:\windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> > terminate the application.
> > Buttons: Close Ignore
> > and when i press Ignore the program terminates anyways.....so what do
> > I do????
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Cmd isn't a Dos program (there are such things as 32 bit dos programs
> >> but windows doesn't have any but can run some of them - a lot of old
> >> dos games were 32 bit sort of). It is a console program. Dos programs
> >> also are console programs.
> >>
> >> What happens.
> >>

> >> "Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> Windows-based program:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp
>
> This can also be caused by malware.
>
> Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
> installed:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com
>
> You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
> copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
> (%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
> the KB article above.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

You have or had a virus that deleted autoexec.nt. Replace it. You have more than one copy on your disk.

"Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36BD65E1-887B-4F7A-AEE9-97AD210B3CD6@microsoft.com...
> ok this is the error message is recieve........ and the title of the form
> is 16-bit MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM
>
> C:\windows\system32\cmd.com
> C:\windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
> Buttons: Close Ignore
> and when i press Ignore the program terminates anyways.....so what do I do????
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Cmd isn't a Dos program (there are such things as 32 bit dos programs but windows doesn't have any but can run some of them - a lot of old dos games were 32 bit sort of). It is a console program. Dos programs also are console programs.
>>
>> What happens.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Master Jedi" <MasterJedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD401FEF-3F28-4EA4-A341-802564705246@microsoft.com...
>> > Ok here is my problem in the most detail i can give.........I believe somehow
>> > Windows XP Home Edition is running in 16-bit mode.....The Reason why I think
>> > this is because that i cannot run 32 bit dos programs and such as cmd.exe or
>> > others that require a 32 bit. I dont have to re install windows to correct
>> > this do I? And if I don't how do i go about fixing it....Thanks in advanced.

TRENDING THREADS