configuring XP Desktop?

jeff

Hi I am setting up a new laptop running XP Home which has a screen
resolution of 1600 x 1200. I know how to change the spacing of the desktop
icons and their title fonts so I can read them more easily, but there are
somethings that are still too small and I wonder if there is a way to change
them:
a) Can I make the little window that opens up (say the display properties
box itself) bigger, as well as the text of its font?
b) Can I turn off the "notifications" that popup on some of the icons in
the bottom taskbar? Like when my wireless becomes connected, a little cloud
shows up to tell me it has done so. Duh.
c) Can I turn off the beeps that happen when it executes some things I ask
it to do?

Thanks.

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi I am setting up a new laptop running XP Home which has a screen
> resolution of 1600 x 1200. I know how to change the spacing of the desktop
> icons and their title fonts so I can read them more easily, but there are
> somethings that are still too small and I wonder if there is a way to change
> them:
> a) Can I make the little window that opens up (say the display properties
> box itself) bigger, as well as the text of its font?

Change the monitors DPI.

In the Display Properties window, switch to the 'Settings' folder. Select
the 'Advanced' button. In the displayed window, the 'General' folder has an
option for changing the DPI setting. The larger the number, the bigger the
items will appear on your Desktop.

> b) Can I turn off the "notifications" that popup on some of the icons in
> the bottom taskbar? Like when my wireless becomes connected, a little cloud
> shows up to tell me it has done so. Duh.

I don't know on this one.

> c) Can I turn off the beeps that happen when it executes some things I ask
> it to do?

In Control panel, launch Sounds and Audio Devices. If you know the
particular sound event triggering the sound, you can select 'none' for that
events sound.

--
Cordially,
Wayne H. Wilhelm

jeff

In news:51F4B2E1-2278-474B-BE5A-A939AC2C00D8@microsoft.com,
Wayne H. Wilhelm <WayneHWilhelm@discussions.microsoft.com> posted:
| | "Jeff" wrote:
| |
| | | Hi I am setting up a new laptop running XP Home which has a screen
| | | resolution of 1600 x 1200. I know how to change the spacing of
| | | the desktop icons and their title fonts so I can read them more
| | | easily, but there are somethings that are still too small and I
| | | wonder if there is a way to change them:
| | | a) Can I make the little window that opens up (say the display
| | | properties box itself) bigger, as well as the text of its font?
| |
| | Change the monitors DPI.

Aha! I did not know about that one. Thanks.
Problem: I've already modified the icon vertical and horizontal distances,
caption button sizes, etc. Is there a way to return to the default sizes now
tat I discovered the dpi setting?

Thanks.

Jeff

| |
| | In the Display Properties window, switch to the 'Settings' folder.
| | Select the 'Advanced' button. In the displayed window, the
| | 'General' folder has an option for changing the DPI setting. The
| | larger the number, the bigger the items will appear on your Desktop.
| |
| | | b) Can I turn off the "notifications" that popup on some of the
| | | icons in the bottom taskbar? Like when my wireless becomes
| | | connected, a little cloud shows up to tell me it has done so. Duh.
| |
| | I don't know on this one.
| |
| | | c) Can I turn off the beeps that happen when it executes some
| | | things I ask it to do?
| | |
| |
| | In Control panel, launch Sounds and Audio Devices. If you know the
| | particular sound event triggering the sound, you can select 'none'
| | for that events sound.
| |
| | | Thanks.
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | Cordially,
| | Wayne H. Wilhelm
| | Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com

To reset to your original settings, just right-click on the Desktop to bring
up the Display properties dialog. The first two folders display lists of
default Themes and available Desktop backgrounds. Select any of the default
themes.
--

"Jeff" wrote:

> In news:51F4B2E1-2278-474B-BE5A-A939AC2C00D8@microsoft.com,
> Wayne H. Wilhelm <WayneHWilhelm@discussions.microsoft.com> posted:
> | | "Jeff" wrote:
> | |
> | |
> | | Change the monitors DPI.
>
> Aha! I did not know about that one. Thanks.
> Problem: I've already modified the icon vertical and horizontal distances,
> caption button sizes, etc. Is there a way to return to the default sizes now
> tat I discovered the dpi setting?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff
>
> | |
> | | In the Display Properties window, switch to the 'Settings' folder.
> | | Select the 'Advanced' button. In the displayed window, the
> | | 'General' folder has an option for changing the DPI setting. The
> | | larger the number, the bigger the items will appear on your Desktop.
> | |
> | |
> | | I don't know on this one.
> | |
> | | |
> | |
> | | In Control panel, launch Sounds and Audio Devices. If you know the
> | | particular sound event triggering the sound, you can select 'none'
> | | for that events sound.
> | |
> | | |
> | |