Buying a new hard drive

Opus131

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
I'm currently planning to buy a new hard drive, capacy at least of 250g upwards.

The problem is that i need to do use it on a computer which i'm not allowed to open (it's a work PC), so i was thinking about buying one of those external enclosures, but at this point i'm wondering if it isn't better to buy an external drive altogheter.

Sooner or later i'm going to bring the drive home, so i wouldn't need it to be external anymore, thus my dilemma.

What would you guys suggest as the better solution and what's the pros and cons of external drives compared to internal ones ? (ignoring the price difference)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Opus131 on 06/24/05 01:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
AFAIK, an external drive is an internal drive in an external enclosure...

The only difference between your 2 options is that you put it together yourself, or the mfg does it for you.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
No, no, an internal drive is just an external drive without the enclosure and PS...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It depends on the use if you want it to be really portable buy a 3.5" enclosure. If you want it to be more useful you can buy a 5.25" enclosure and with this you could have an external hard disk or an external optical drive (i.e. DVD burner)

<font color=green>If you work on a thing long enough to improve it, It will break</font color=green>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
That's because you put it in an enclosure with a PS.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>