[WFB] More Brettonian Qs

Thanks for the swift and all covering answer to my last question here
are some more.

1/ Battle Pilgrims of the Grail Reliquae

Does the Reliquae's attacks come from the 4 pilgrims carrying it or are
they "extra" meaning that the pilgrims(A1) keep their original attack
and add the 4 from the Relique?

2/ Can a brettonian knight use two weapons instead of shield/weapon? And
if so can they do this at will during a battle or should it be fixed
which one beforehand?

I.e A KoR with two swords (A2)

3/ Can a knight(only characters i suppose) make use of, and get the S
and A bonus(two weapons) from, a lance and a special weapon like a
morning star? And of course retain the two weapon bonus throughout the
encounter?

Along the lines: A knight charges with lance and morning star. Lance
ends up in the belly of some fierce and ugly looking foes or breaks(like
wooden lances are prone to). Morning star plows through some more ugly
looking foes. Knight discards his lance, swings his morning star, draws
his sword and gladly chops away singing "O 'Ye pile of bashed and
beheaded ...."

I.e. A paladin with a morning star, sword and lance. (A4 S5 charging)

4/ While I'm on the subject of shields
The list on p.64 in the rules lists some different armour save depending
on equipment. A "rider with shield and heavy armour riding an armoured
mount" has armour save 2+. Since a shield normaly subtracts one from the
armour save is this so for "rider with shield and heavy armour riding an
armoured mount" as well, giving a such without shield a save of 3+?

5/ What are the limitations posed on a Bret. Battle Standard Bearer with
respect to weapons and shield?
My first thought on this is that a BSB hauls around a huge banner and
the rules that apply to Standard Bearers in normal units cant apply. Or?
I suppose that a paladin worthy of being standard bearer for the whole
army has some skill he might be able manage a shield on the same arm as
the standard while swinging a sword with the other. Lance? In the end I
would probably opt that the BSB cannot use shield or lance. Thoughts?

Well is suppose that's it. Need I say that I'm fairly new at this and I
dont have alot of people to play and argue finer points with. At least
not experience ones, so dont flame me to hard for whatever you might
flame me for. Anyway, I'll go soak myself in bromium flame retardant.
//Mattias

--
Sigblock empty. By choice.

"Mattias Aldaron" <morphriz@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Thanks for the swift and all covering answer to my last question here
> are some more.
>
> 1/ Battle Pilgrims of the Grail Reliquae
>
> Does the Reliquae's attacks come from the 4 pilgrims carrying it or are
> they "extra" meaning that the pilgrims(A1) keep their original attack
> and add the 4 from the Relique?

The reliquiae stand takes the place of 2 pilgrims in the front rank. It has
4 attacks. By following normal rules, you get that models in base contact in
the front rank can fight with their attacks. Thus, you will get in contact
with the reliquiae and X pilgrims, resulting in 4+X attacks. No way to add
more attacks by esoteric interpretations about how the pilgrims are placed
on the relic stand, it's a single model with 4 attacks and that's all. You
just add attacks for every extra pilgrim model (those on single bases, on
the sides of the relic) in base contact with the enemy.

> 2/ Can a brettonian knight use two weapons instead of shield/weapon? And
> if so can they do this at will during a battle or should it be fixed
> which one beforehand?
> I.e A KoR with two swords (A2)
>
> 3/ Can a knight(only characters i suppose) make use of, and get the S
> and A bonus(two weapons) from, a lance and a special weapon like a
> morning star? And of course retain the two weapon bonus throughout the
> encounter?
> Along the lines: A knight charges with lance and morning star. Lance
> ends up in the belly of some fierce and ugly looking foes or breaks(like
> wooden lances are prone to). Morning star plows through some more ugly
> looking foes. Knight discards his lance, swings his morning star, draws
> his sword and gladly chops away singing "O 'Ye pile of bashed and
> beheaded ...."
>
> I.e. A paladin with a morning star, sword and lance. (A4 S5 charging)

Nope. The manual clearly states that you can fight with 2 weapons only if
they are 2 _hand weapons_, that is no bonus at all except the resulting +1
A. And no, a bretonnian character can't fight like this anyway since there
is no option to give him an extra hand weapon, probably because it's not
exactly a knightly way to fight. In case you give him lance and morningstar,
you will just use one of them at a time.

> 4/ While I'm on the subject of shields
> The list on p.64 in the rules lists some different armour save depending
> on equipment. A "rider with shield and heavy armour riding an armoured
> mount" has armour save 2+. Since a shield normaly subtracts one from the
> armour save is this so for "rider with shield and heavy armour riding an
> armoured mount" as well, giving a such without shield a save of 3+?

Not sure what is your doubt, but yes, heavy armor + barded horse = 3+ save.
That list on the rules is just a quite confused way to write something
simple.

> 5/ What are the limitations posed on a Bret. Battle Standard Bearer with
> respect to weapons and shield?
> My first thought on this is that a BSB hauls around a huge banner and
> the rules that apply to Standard Bearers in normal units cant apply. Or?
> I suppose that a paladin worthy of being standard bearer for the whole
> army has some skill he might be able manage a shield on the same arm as
> the standard while swinging a sword with the other. Lance? In the end I
> would probably opt that the BSB cannot use shield or lance. Thoughts?

Check the army book: it's clearly stated that a BSB can't receive any extra
equipment except a mount: so he comes with a heavy armor, hand weapon and a
horse or pegasus (or on foot in case you buy him the right virtue). He can
however receive virtues and magic items (read carefully the paragraph about
giving him magic items OR standard), so he could, for example, get a magical
lance.

DarkTear

ICQ 8760577
---IHGGer # 1008---
---IHGGDNDer # 18---

"No! Try not.
Do. Or do not.
There is no try."

> "Mattias Aldaron" <morphriz@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> > 2/ Can a brettonian knight use two weapons instead of shield/weapon? And
> > if so can they do this at will during a battle or should it be fixed
> > which one beforehand?
> > I.e A KoR with two swords (A2)

Regardless of weapon options, you can't use two weapons at once while
mounted unless you're an Empire Pistolier who have a special rule allowing
it. If you had a character with empathy or some future Bret rule allowing
Knights on foot with two hand weapons then they can use them. Most weapons
are pretty explicit when it comes to describing whether it can be used
two-handed or single handed (thus allowing the use of a shield, or another
weapon on foot). I recommend reading through the rule book and Bret army
book more carefully and all your questions will be answered.

"Mattias Aldaron" <morphriz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the swift and all covering answer to my last question here
> are some more.
>
> 1/ Battle Pilgrims of the Grail Reliquae
>
> Does the Reliquae's attacks come from the 4 pilgrims carrying it or are
> they "extra" meaning that the pilgrims(A1) keep their original attack
> and add the 4 from the Relique?

the reliquae has 4 attacks. it is accompanied by 6 or more pilgrims with 1
attack each. effectively the pilgrims form a unit with the reliquae as a
"champion". yes technically I suppose the reliquae's attacks represent the
pilgrims carrying it, but in rules terms it comprises a single model.

> 2/ Can a brettonian knight use two weapons instead of shield/weapon?

not according to my book. there's no option for additional hand weapons
anywhere in the list that I can see.

> 3/ Can a knight(only characters i suppose) make use of, and get the S
> and A bonus(two weapons) from, a lance and a special weapon like a
> morning star? And of course retain the two weapon bonus throughout the
> encounter?

no. you can't use more than one weapon in the same turn, period. in rules
terms an additional hand weapon is a single "set" of weapons conferring +1
Attack - neither a lance nor a morningstar is a hand weapon. furthermore
there'd be no point since lances add +2 to Strength whereas morningstars
only add +1 (unless you get charged, but if you can manage that with
bretonnian knights then you have bigger problems than your hero's choice of
weaponry...)

> 4/ While I'm on the subject of shields
> The list on p.64 in the rules lists some different armour save depending
> on equipment. A "rider with shield and heavy armour riding an armoured
> mount" has armour save 2+. Since a shield normaly subtracts one from the
> armour save is this so for "rider with shield and heavy armour riding an
> armoured mount" as well, giving a such without shield a save of 3+?

heavy armour = 5+ save
heavy armour with shield (+1) = 4+ save
heavy armour with shield (+1) for cavalry (+1) = 3+ save
heavy armour with shield (+1) for cavalry (+1) with barding (+1) = 2+ save

cavalry models don't gain the additional +1 save for a shield and hand
weapon that infantry do.

> 5/ What are the limitations posed on a Bret. Battle Standard Bearer with
> respect to weapons and shield?

he has no options for weapons or a shield. the only extra stuff he can get
are virtues and magic items.

Doctor Rock wrote:
>>5/ What are the limitations posed on a Bret. Battle Standard Bearer with
>>respect to weapons and shield?
>
> he has no options for weapons or a shield. the only extra stuff he can get
> are virtues and magic items.

He can have grail or questing vow as well or is this another thing i've
missed?
//Mattias

--
Sigblock empty. By choice.

> Doctor Rock wrote:
> >>5/ What are the limitations posed on a Bret. Battle Standard Bearer with
> >>respect to weapons and shield?
> >
> > he has no options for weapons or a shield. the only extra stuff he can
get
> > are virtues and magic items.
>
> He can have grail or questing vow as well or is this another thing i've
> missed?

yes, vows are like virtues, they're not "equipment." he's only limited as
to the mundane equipment normally allowed to a paladin.

On 1/24/05 2:56 PM, in article
TpcJd.212758$48.10328@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, "Doctor Rock"
<malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mattias Aldaron" <morphriz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> he has no options for weapons or a shield. the only extra stuff he can
> get
>>> are virtues and magic items.
>>
>> He can have grail or questing vow as well or is this another thing i've
>> missed?
>
> yes, vows are like virtues, they're not "equipment." he's only limited as
> to the mundane equipment normally allowed to a paladin.

But why give him the Questing Vow? He cannot take a great weapon, so if you
are gonna spend points on a vow for this guy, make it the Grail Vow or cover
it in the Virtue you select. Oh, I guess he needs a vow at least a good as
the unit he'll be traveling with.

--
Off on a tangent...be back in a secant.
Elizabeth Riba

Donovan Borman wrote:
>>>2/ Can a brettonian knight use two weapons instead of shield/weapon? And
>>>if so can they do this at will during a battle or should it be fixed
>>>which one beforehand?
>>>I.e A KoR with two swords (A2)
>
> Regardless of weapon options, you can't use two weapons at once while
> mounted unless you're an Empire Pistolier who have a special rule allowing
> it. If you had a character with empathy or some future Bret rule allowing
> Knights on foot with two hand weapons then they can use them. Most weapons
> are pretty explicit when it comes to describing whether it can be used
> two-handed or single handed (thus allowing the use of a shield, or another
> weapon on foot). I recommend reading through the rule book and Bret army
> book more carefully and all your questions will be answered.

Thanks again for your answers! I'll try to get better at the reading!
//Mattias

"Janet Quick" <janetq@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 1/24/05 2:56 PM, in article
> TpcJd.212758$48.10328@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, "Doctor Rock"
> <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > "Mattias Aldaron" <morphriz@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > get
> >>
> >> He can have grail or questing vow as well or is this another thing i've
> >> missed?
> >
> > yes, vows are like virtues, they're not "equipment." he's only limited
as
> > to the mundane equipment normally allowed to a paladin.
> >
> But why give him the Questing Vow? He cannot take a great weapon, so if
you
> are gonna spend points on a vow for this guy, make it the Grail Vow or
cover
> it in the Virtue you select. Oh, I guess he needs a vow at least a good
as
> the unit he'll be traveling with.

well there's not a whole lot of point in most cases, but the option is still
there.

> On 1/24/05 12:12 PM, in article
> Q%9Jd.11513$2b6.949@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, "Doctor Rock"
> <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >> 2/ Can a brettonian knight use two weapons instead of shield/weapon?
> >
> > not according to my book. there's no option for additional hand weapons
> > anywhere in the list that I can see.
> >

> Doc Rock is a Bret Player? How did I miss this?

oh goodness me no. I just have a bunch of books (also a scorpion - no a
real scorpion, not an eldar tank) a friend offloaded onto me when she moved
abroad. I'm assuming she intends to reclaim them eventually, if she hasn't
forgotten about them.

Janet Quick wrote:
> For example, you cannot charge in with your lance then in round two switch
> to your magical sword. You have to use the sword first off or not at all.
>
> Do any of you others allow a knight to switch to something else after the
> charge? I've actually never tried to do that. Wonder what my gaming group
> would say.

Accyally, on paqge 60 of the bretonnian armybook, it clearly states the
following: Bretonnian character equiped with a normal lance and a magic
weapon will always use the lance on charge and the magic weapon in
following rounds of combat. A character with magic lance will always use
it. (top of the page, in itallics)