Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

At startup there's a list of the various systems
installed. You can select which one to boot up.
I know there's a text file you can alter to give
a different name to each installation of Windows,
but I can't remember the name or location. Can
anyone remind me, please?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Peter Morris" wrote:

| At startup there's a list of the various systems
| installed. You can select which one to boot up.
| I know there's a text file you can alter to give
| a different name to each installation of Windows,
| but I can't remember the name or location. Can
| anyone remind me, please?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Or edit C:\boot.ini with Notepad.

*TimDaniels*

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" replied:
> Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
> Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit
>
> "Peter Morris" wrote:
>
> | At startup there's a list of the various systems
> | installed. You can select which one to boot up.
> | I know there's a text file you can alter to give
> | a different name to each installation of Windows,
> | but I can't remember the name or location. Can
> | anyone remind me, please?

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Whatever is the system partition, the notepad file is boot.ini in the root
folder.

> Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
> Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

Thanks a lot.

(Wow, talk about fast service)

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
> Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

Thanks a lot.

(Wow, talk about fast service)

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You're quite welcome!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Peter Morris" wrote:

| Thanks a lot.
|
| (Wow, talk about fast service)

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Could be Spyware trying to hijack you. Download, install, update and run all
of the following.

Ad-Aware

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
it can be analyzed.

HijackThis

"Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't
understand something I post then ask me my email is valid."

- pcbutts1@thisoldtreehouse.com
- pcbutts1@seedsv.com