Arbites in 40K

I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they are
known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in 40K?
13 answers Last reply
More about arbites

    Simon wrote:
    > I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they are
    > known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in 40K?

    Yes: Witch Hunter armies can swap out Inquisitorial Stormtroopers for
    Arbites.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Simon wrote:
    > I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they
    > are known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in
    > 40K?

    You can field them in a Witch Hunters army, as per the "Designer's Note" on
    the bottom of p. 34 of that codex. Basically, it says you can replace the
    hellgun and targeter on Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with a shotgun for no
    extra cost and use this to represent Arbites squads. I'm not sure if
    there's a fluff reason, but the Daemonhunters Inq. Stormies don't have this
    option open to them.

    Also, if you tag your posts, you're likely to get more responses. Lots of
    people here on RGMW filter posts based on subject lines, and untagged posts
    get lost in the shuffle. You can find out how to tag posts by reading the
    RGMW FAQ, which you can find here:

    http://www.rgmw.org/rgmw/rgmw-faq.html

    Anyway, hope that helped.

    --
    Ken Coble

    You're really stupid if you get hit by a car after the apocalypse.
    -Crow T. Robot, MST3K "City Limits"
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Simon wrote:
    > > I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they
    > > are known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in
    > > 40K?
    >
    > You can field them in a Witch Hunters army, as per the "Designer's Note"
    on
    > the bottom of p. 34 of that codex. Basically, it says you can replace the
    > hellgun and targeter on Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with a shotgun for no
    > extra cost and use this to represent Arbites squads. I'm not sure if
    > there's a fluff reason, but the Daemonhunters Inq. Stormies don't have
    this
    > option open to them.

    Which is especially disappointing when,before the actual minis were
    released, I saw the cool pic of Stormtroopers blasting away with shotguns in
    the old V3 codex.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Ibn Tumart" <ibnzztumart@gmailzz.com> wrote in message
    > Yes: Witch Hunter armies can swap out Inquisitorial Stormtroopers for
    > Arbites.

    Thank you for that, but I was hoping to be able to use a pure Arbites
    force - you know the sort of thing, a loyal band of the Emperor's law
    keepers holding off a Tyranid/Ork/Chaos invasion until the cavalry arrive in
    the shape of the IG/SM. I seem to remember an article in WD on just such a
    theme many moons ago - an army list for the arbites, complete with stats for
    Arbites bikers, Repressor tanks etc. Does anyone else remember this, and
    which issue of WD it was in?
    I don't doubt that I'm on a wild goose chase with this - that'll teach me to
    read Crossfire/Legacy and get inspired!!
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Simon" <simonjjones@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Thank you for that, but I was hoping to be able to use a pure Arbites
    > force - you know the sort of thing, a loyal band of the Emperor's law
    > keepers holding off a Tyranid/Ork/Chaos invasion until the cavalry arrive
    > in the shape of the IG/SM. I seem to remember an article in WD on just
    > such a theme many moons ago - an army list for the arbites, complete with
    > stats for Arbites bikers, Repressor tanks etc. Does anyone else remember
    > this, and which issue of WD it was in?
    > I don't doubt that I'm on a wild goose chase with this - that'll teach me
    > to read Crossfire/Legacy and get inspired!!
    have just used the new GW website database of the past 200 WD issues, and
    discovered it was in issue 169 - now all I have to do is get hold of a
    copy - does anyone have a copy, that they would feel so disposed to scan the
    article and email it to me? Perhaps? Please?
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > have just used the new GW website database of the past 200 WD issues, and
    > discovered it was in issue 169 - now all I have to do is get hold of a
    > copy - does anyone have a copy, that they would feel so disposed to scan
    > the article and email it to me? Perhaps? Please?

    Don't have issue 169 but it would have been published long before 3rd
    edition 40k so it wouldn't be much use anyways except as a guide to make up
    your own list. But there are already plenty of home brew "unofficial"
    Arbites codex out there so you might want to Google some of those and check
    them out.

    --

    -smithdoerr
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Simon" <simonjjones@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Ibn Tumart" <ibnzztumart@gmailzz.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes: Witch Hunter armies can swap out Inquisitorial Stormtroopers for
    > > Arbites.
    >
    > Thank you for that, but I was hoping to be able to use a pure Arbites
    > force - you know the sort of thing, a loyal band of the Emperor's law
    > keepers holding off a Tyranid/Ork/Chaos invasion until the cavalry arrive
    in
    > the shape of the IG/SM.

    unfortunately no such "official" list exists at present, but it wouldn't be
    difficult to write one up. most of it wouldn't even need test-running
    because you'd basically be using existing IG units with some existing
    weapons options swapped around. the only things that would need thrashing
    out would be bikes and vehicles if you wanted them.

    > I seem to remember an article in WD on just such a
    > theme many moons ago - an army list for the arbites, complete with stats
    for
    > Arbites bikers, Repressor tanks etc. Does anyone else remember this, and
    > which issue of WD it was in?

    nope. I can say with certainty (and regret) that there have never been
    official rules for arbites bikers, although the Repressor rules are
    available in forge world's Imperial Armour book (as a Sisters of Battle
    vehicle), and if you go back 15+ years there was a RT-era riot tank (Maul or
    Mauler IIRC). the only arbites list that was ever published was waaay back,
    at least 12 years ago now in WD, around the release of 2nd edition 40K.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message

    > "Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Yes unfortunately they've made shotguns and ripper guns into the new
    > nerf.
    > > > They'd be great if they were done something like the hellblaster or
    new
    > > > flamer rules considering S-3 shotguns fired shot while slugs were S-4.
    > >
    > > a quick fix is to make slugs S4 and shot +1 to hit. because the range
    is
    > so
    > > abysmal this doesn't unbalance them vs rapid fire weapons, and makes
    them
    > > viable option for the kinds of units you want using them. I can
    > understand
    > > why they decided against the "basic weapon with multiple ammo types" for
    > the
    > > 3rd ed rules, but there's no reason not to expand their options a little
    > at
    > > this stage, especially considering only about 3 or 4 units in the entire
    > > game can even use them.
    >
    > Points increase?

    no need. it puts them on a par, as a tactical option, with the new rapid
    fire weapons. it's more effective as an assault weapon, but still
    outmatched by even lasguns as a generalist squad armament. in fact it's
    only slightly more effective than a fleshborer in the hands (talons?) of a
    termagant.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > > > a quick fix is to make slugs S4 and shot +1 to hit. because the range
    > is
    > > so
    > > > abysmal this doesn't unbalance them vs rapid fire weapons, and makes
    > them
    > > > viable option for the kinds of units you want using them. I can
    > > understand
    > > > why they decided against the "basic weapon with multiple ammo types"
    for
    > > the
    > > > 3rd ed rules, but there's no reason not to expand their options a
    little
    > > at
    > > > this stage, especially considering only about 3 or 4 units in the
    entire
    > > > game can even use them.
    > >
    > > Points increase?
    >
    > no need. it puts them on a par, as a tactical option, with the new rapid
    > fire weapons. it's more effective as an assault weapon, but still
    > outmatched by even lasguns as a generalist squad armament. in fact it's
    > only slightly more effective than a fleshborer in the hands (talons?) of a
    > termagant.

    Hey, works for me!
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post - a humbling response and all
    of it very useful. I have been pointed in the direction of an
    Arbites-specific group on Yahoo, so will continue my search there as well. I
    would like to thank Myrmidon and Spack in particular for their off-group
    communications. The whole response from the group has confirmed my belief
    that this is the best group out there for help on all things WH.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Arrgh! I spoke too soon - tonight, after I posted this, I was scrubbing a
    > batch of models that had been soaking in CSC for a good while, and guess
    > what turned up? Four shotgun-armed Scouts. Well, at least I like the way
    > the minis look. I guess now the question is what type of scout squad to
    > put them in. I'm trying to decide if they'll fit better as the
    > short-range punch in a sniper scout unit, or using them to thin the enemy
    > ranks before hand-to-hand in a BP/CCW scout unit.

    The extra guys in the shooty/sniper unit should be armed with bolters so the
    BP/CCW unit would be a better fit for shotguns. Although even in a close
    combat unit a bolter or BP/CCW will be better under almost any circumstance.
    However...

    > Of course, I could just paint them up and stand them on the desk because
    > they look cool. Decisions, decisions...

    Nah, they're too cool looking to not be used. I stick one (sometimes two)
    in my close combat scout unit. The unit almost always take at least one
    casualty before it gets a chance to do anything so I figure it doesn't
    really matter what that first scout to bit the dust is armed with. Shotgun
    dude only gets to be on the table for a turn or two but at least he gets to
    sit there lookin' bad-ass during setup.

    --

    -smithdoerr
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped smithdoerr and said

    > Don't have issue 169 but it would have been published long before 3rd
    > edition 40k so it wouldn't be much use anyways except as a guide to
    > make up your own list. But there are already plenty of home brew
    > "unofficial" Arbites codex out there so you might want to Google some
    > of those and check them out.

    Tim Huckleberry made one. His GW address is on the US site I think.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

    Simon wrote:
    > I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they are
    > known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in 40K?

    IIRC, the Enforcers are not actual Arbites, but an Arbites style local
    enforcement force.

    --
    =/\= Lt. Cmdr. Jim =/\=
    By our chocolate, shall they know us.