Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they are
known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in 40K?

Simon wrote:
> I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they are
> known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in 40K?

Yes: Witch Hunter armies can swap out Inquisitorial Stormtroopers for
Arbites.

Simon wrote:
> I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they
> are known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in
> 40K?

You can field them in a Witch Hunters army, as per the "Designer's Note" on
the bottom of p. 34 of that codex. Basically, it says you can replace the
hellgun and targeter on Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with a shotgun for no
extra cost and use this to represent Arbites squads. I'm not sure if
there's a fluff reason, but the Daemonhunters Inq. Stormies don't have this
option open to them.

Also, if you tag your posts, you're likely to get more responses. Lots of
people here on RGMW filter posts based on subject lines, and untagged posts
get lost in the shuffle. You can find out how to tag posts by reading the
RGMW FAQ, which you can find here:

http://www.rgmw.org/rgmw/rgmw-faq.html

Anyway, hope that helped.

--
Ken Coble

You're really stupid if you get hit by a car after the apocalypse.
-Crow T. Robot, MST3K "City Limits"

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Simon wrote:
> > I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they
> > are known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in
> > 40K?
>
> You can field them in a Witch Hunters army, as per the "Designer's Note"
on
> the bottom of p. 34 of that codex. Basically, it says you can replace the
> hellgun and targeter on Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with a shotgun for no
> extra cost and use this to represent Arbites squads. I'm not sure if
> there's a fluff reason, but the Daemonhunters Inq. Stormies don't have
this
> option open to them.

Which is especially disappointing when,before the actual minis were
released, I saw the cool pic of Stormtroopers blasting away with shotguns in
the old V3 codex.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

"Ibn Tumart" <ibnzztumart@gmailzz.com> wrote in message
> Yes: Witch Hunter armies can swap out Inquisitorial Stormtroopers for
> Arbites.

Thank you for that, but I was hoping to be able to use a pure Arbites
force - you know the sort of thing, a loyal band of the Emperor's law
keepers holding off a Tyranid/Ork/Chaos invasion until the cavalry arrive in
the shape of the IG/SM. I seem to remember an article in WD on just such a
theme many moons ago - an army list for the arbites, complete with stats for
Arbites bikers, Repressor tanks etc. Does anyone else remember this, and
which issue of WD it was in?
I don't doubt that I'm on a wild goose chase with this - that'll teach me to
read Crossfire/Legacy and get inspired!!

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

"Simon" <simonjjones@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Thank you for that, but I was hoping to be able to use a pure Arbites
> force - you know the sort of thing, a loyal band of the Emperor's law
> keepers holding off a Tyranid/Ork/Chaos invasion until the cavalry arrive
> in the shape of the IG/SM. I seem to remember an article in WD on just
> such a theme many moons ago - an army list for the arbites, complete with
> stats for Arbites bikers, Repressor tanks etc. Does anyone else remember
> this, and which issue of WD it was in?
> I don't doubt that I'm on a wild goose chase with this - that'll teach me
> to read Crossfire/Legacy and get inspired!!
have just used the new GW website database of the past 200 WD issues, and
discovered it was in issue 169 - now all I have to do is get hold of a
copy - does anyone have a copy, that they would feel so disposed to scan the
article and email it to me? Perhaps? Please?

> have just used the new GW website database of the past 200 WD issues, and
> discovered it was in issue 169 - now all I have to do is get hold of a
> copy - does anyone have a copy, that they would feel so disposed to scan
> the article and email it to me? Perhaps? Please?

Don't have issue 169 but it would have been published long before 3rd
edition 40k so it wouldn't be much use anyways except as a guide to make up
your own list. But there are already plenty of home brew "unofficial"
Arbites codex out there so you might want to Google some of those and check
them out.

--

-smithdoerr

"Simon" <simonjjones@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Ibn Tumart" <ibnzztumart@gmailzz.com> wrote in message
> > Yes: Witch Hunter armies can swap out Inquisitorial Stormtroopers for
> > Arbites.
>
> Thank you for that, but I was hoping to be able to use a pure Arbites
> force - you know the sort of thing, a loyal band of the Emperor's law
> keepers holding off a Tyranid/Ork/Chaos invasion until the cavalry arrive
in
> the shape of the IG/SM.

unfortunately no such "official" list exists at present, but it wouldn't be
difficult to write one up. most of it wouldn't even need test-running
because you'd basically be using existing IG units with some existing
weapons options swapped around. the only things that would need thrashing
out would be bikes and vehicles if you wanted them.

> I seem to remember an article in WD on just such a
> theme many moons ago - an army list for the arbites, complete with stats
for
> Arbites bikers, Repressor tanks etc. Does anyone else remember this, and
> which issue of WD it was in?

nope. I can say with certainty (and regret) that there have never been
official rules for arbites bikers, although the Repressor rules are
available in forge world's Imperial Armour book (as a Sisters of Battle
vehicle), and if you go back 15+ years there was a RT-era riot tank (Maul or
Mauler IIRC). the only arbites list that was ever published was waaay back,
at least 12 years ago now in WD, around the release of 2nd edition 40K.

" Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Doctor Rock" <malafex@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > > Yes unfortunately they've made shotguns and ripper guns into the new
> nerf.
> > > They'd be great if they were done something like the hellblaster or
new
> > > flamer rules considering S-3 shotguns fired shot while slugs were S-4.
> >
> > a quick fix is to make slugs S4 and shot +1 to hit. because the range
is
> so
> > abysmal this doesn't unbalance them vs rapid fire weapons, and makes
them
> > viable option for the kinds of units you want using them. I can
> understand
> > why they decided against the "basic weapon with multiple ammo types" for
> the
> > 3rd ed rules, but there's no reason not to expand their options a little
> at
> > this stage, especially considering only about 3 or 4 units in the entire
> > game can even use them.
>
> Points increase?

no need. it puts them on a par, as a tactical option, with the new rapid
fire weapons. it's more effective as an assault weapon, but still
outmatched by even lasguns as a generalist squad armament. in fact it's
only slightly more effective than a fleshborer in the hands (talons?) of a
termagant.

> > > a quick fix is to make slugs S4 and shot +1 to hit. because the range
> is
> > so
> > > abysmal this doesn't unbalance them vs rapid fire weapons, and makes
> them
> > > viable option for the kinds of units you want using them. I can
> > understand
> > > why they decided against the "basic weapon with multiple ammo types"
for
> > the
> > > 3rd ed rules, but there's no reason not to expand their options a
little
> > at
> > > this stage, especially considering only about 3 or 4 units in the
entire
> > > game can even use them.
> >
> > Points increase?
>
> no need. it puts them on a par, as a tactical option, with the new rapid
> fire weapons. it's more effective as an assault weapon, but still
> outmatched by even lasguns as a generalist squad armament. in fact it's
> only slightly more effective than a fleshborer in the hands (talons?) of a
> termagant.

Hey, works for me!

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post - a humbling response and all
of it very useful. I have been pointed in the direction of an
Arbites-specific group on Yahoo, so will continue my search there as well. I
would like to thank Myrmidon and Spack in particular for their off-group
communications. The whole response from the group has confirmed my belief
that this is the best group out there for help on all things WH.

> Arrgh! I spoke too soon - tonight, after I posted this, I was scrubbing a
> batch of models that had been soaking in CSC for a good while, and guess
> what turned up? Four shotgun-armed Scouts. Well, at least I like the way
> the minis look. I guess now the question is what type of scout squad to
> put them in. I'm trying to decide if they'll fit better as the
> short-range punch in a sniper scout unit, or using them to thin the enemy
> ranks before hand-to-hand in a BP/CCW scout unit.

The extra guys in the shooty/sniper unit should be armed with bolters so the
BP/CCW unit would be a better fit for shotguns. Although even in a close
combat unit a bolter or BP/CCW will be better under almost any circumstance.
However...

> Of course, I could just paint them up and stand them on the desk because
> they look cool. Decisions, decisions...

Nah, they're too cool looking to not be used. I stick one (sometimes two)
in my close combat scout unit. The unit almost always take at least one
casualty before it gets a chance to do anything so I figure it doesn't
really matter what that first scout to bit the dust is armed with. Shotgun
dude only gets to be on the table for a turn or two but at least he gets to
sit there lookin' bad-ass during setup.

--

-smithdoerr

Out from under a rock popped smithdoerr and said

> Don't have issue 169 but it would have been published long before 3rd
> edition 40k so it wouldn't be much use anyways except as a guide to
> make up your own list. But there are already plenty of home brew
> "unofficial" Arbites codex out there so you might want to Google some
> of those and check them out.

Tim Huckleberry made one. His GW address is on the US site I think.

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

Simon wrote:
> I know that Arbites are available for play in Necromunda, where they are
> known as Enforcers, but is there still a way of playing them in 40K?

IIRC, the Enforcers are not actual Arbites, but an Arbites style local
enforcement force.

--
=/\= Lt. Cmdr. Jim =/\=
By our chocolate, shall they know us.