Help with CD-ROM problem

earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
My uncle called me up this morning and told me he had a problem with his computer and that he needed to reinstall windows. Problem is, he says his CDROM drive doesn't work anymore and that's why he wanted to format.

He's running on a really OLD aptiva 2176-f31 (133mhz with 45mb of ram and a 2mb vid card) so I told him it's probably because the cd-rom was really old and dust finished it off. We go to the store, buy a new one, we go back to his place and I plug the cd-rom in his computer... the result : he doesn't detect it even if it's plugged correctly

Weird thing is, it detects the old broken hard-drive but it doesn't read cds.

I plugged the new drive on the secondary IDE and it didn't detect it, but when I put it on the primary IDE with the hard-drive, it does get detected but I doesn't read the cds!!!!

So basically, I can't reinstall windows95 because we can't run the cd-rom drive and I can't seem to figure out why !!!

the new cd-rom is a LG GCR 8525B (OEM) and the old one is a ACER 52x cdrom. Both plugs on the cd-rom are the same and I know his motherboard supports the standard IDE ports and cables that the newer cd-roms have but I can't figure out why it doesn't work!

any help would be greatly appreciated (don't tell me to buy a new pc, he knows he could but it's his son's pc so he doesn't wanna buy him a new one)

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Seems to me the new drive jumpers are set to master maybe? May thats why it reads it in master connection only...on the ide master. Seems the only logical reason nowing that it's new and you hook it up right. I'm not sure if you tried checking the jumper settings on the new one though see if it's not on slave.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(4) 512MB XMS CORSAIR PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case