Sign in with
Your question

1973 williams winner pinball machine

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
September 3, 2010 11:24:30 PM

I recently bought a 1973 williams winner pinball machine it has been working great. Until one day when i went to start up the game: i flipped the power switch, pressed the start button and it went through the usual proccess of randomizing your horse for the race, but then it never stopped the randomizing. It just continued to flip through the horse numbers without ending.

I checked through the back box and under the playfield but couldnt find any obvious problems. I also went through a digital copy of the manual but that still didnt give me any help. I have a basic background in electronics and a good mechanical knowledge. Can someone please help me identify the problem

Thank you
Jackson
Anonymous
September 4, 2010 3:06:38 AM

These things use a lot of relays -- relays stick. And the thing is nearly 40 years old. Capacitors ?
m
l
September 4, 2010 1:48:15 PM

tons of relays lol
I checked through all of them and didnt see any obvious issues. I used some good old wd-40 to loosen all the moving parts but im having trouble identifying the right relay for this issue
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2010 3:25:57 PM

TopHat14 said:
I recently bought a 1973 williams winner pinball machine it has been working great. Until one day when i went to start up the game: i flipped the power switch, pressed the start button and it went through the usual proccess of randomizing your horse for the race, but then it never stopped the randomizing. It just continued to flip through the horse numbers without ending.

I checked through the back box and under the playfield but couldnt find any obvious problems. I also went through a digital copy of the manual but that still didnt give me any help. I have a basic background in electronics and a good mechanical knowledge. Can someone please help me identify the problem

Thank you
Jackson

Sounds like you have a sticky counter...If the machine doesn't recognize zero position it will keep on randomizing. Every counter or relay has to go back to zero position or it will keep going & going. I would suggest manually going through each counter & then the relays. It's probably a good time to clean the counters or relays....
m
l
September 21, 2010 3:39:29 PM

TopHat14 said:

Thank you
Jackson

Sounds like you have a sticky counter...If the machine doesn't recognize zero position it will keep on randomizing. Every counter or relay has to go back to zero position or it will keep going & going. I would suggest manually going through each counter & then the relays. It's probably a good time to clean the counters or relays....

There is step-up units in the electro-mechanical pinballs (Ball Play, Number of Players, Bonus, Credit etc. they are the one's that have to be able to count up & there is a coil that when energized trips a arm to go down. You can do this manually...
m
l
!