Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Samsung HL-R6178W DLP TV half of screen goes black

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
March 15, 2010 11:36:13 PM

Samsung HL-R6178W DLP HDTV

I just bought this tv used as is. Every once in a while, the right side of the screen goes black on all inputs. I have read from other locations that this is the DMD but suggests to replace the light engine.

I found the light engine for about $1000.

I would love to see if anyone has any experience replacing a light engine, or perhaps just the DMD.

Anyone had this experience?
March 22, 2010 7:21:39 PM

Having the same issue. Called Samsung and they will only cover it if it is a light tunnel issue. We had the light engine replaced 10/08. I spoke to the repair guy and he said it's a dmd board issue and will run me about $650.00. Looks like Samsung needs another class action suit before they will help with this issue. My set if 5 years old and I will never buy another Samsung again....not with out an extended warranty anyway. Had a Sony for over 10 years and NEVER had an issue. Looks like it's time to check out the new Sony LED-LCD.

Best solution

March 25, 2010 8:00:39 PM
Share

Greetings every one.
First of all the symptom nviles1 describe is frequently related to a defective DMD board. As for the 1000 dollar price tag, that’s totally bonkers. I found a web site that prices ranges from 250 up to 379 for complete light engines ( with color wheel & DMD boards included). Here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Sear...
I changed the light engine on my 61” Samsung tv and turns out its not that difficult (but its very time consuming), when searching the web for some guides I found some pretty neat reference tutorials that I used for replacing mine, since I have them saved in my bookmarks. Enjoy.
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131...
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12...
http://www.youtube.com/user/FixYourDLPcom#p/a/u/1/0jr_9...

Related resources
April 5, 2010 3:27:31 AM

Best answer selected by nviles1.
July 16, 2010 10:09:42 PM

hadevine said:
Having the same issue. Called Samsung and they will only cover it if it is a light tunnel issue. We had the light engine replaced 10/08. I spoke to the repair guy and he said it's a dmd board issue and will run me about $650.00. Looks like Samsung needs another class action suit before they will help with this issue. My set if 5 years old and I will never buy another Samsung again....not with out an extended warranty anyway. Had a Sony for over 10 years and NEVER had an issue. Looks like it's time to check out the new Sony LED-LCD.





I am having the exact same problem.... first my light bulb blew, and at the same time I had a shadow down the left hand side about 3-4 inches wide. I did purchase the extended warranty. I replaced the bulb myself thinking it would take care of the shadow as well. Within 6 weeks of the light bulb blowing the whole picture went black again with a loud pop, I thought it was the bulb and called the extended warranty company(mine is exactly 5 years old also) and when they came out it was the color wheel and the light tunnel. the replacement parts didnt fit, so they ended up ordering a complete light engine..... used..... and then there was a 3-4 inch wide shadow along the whole bottom of the screen. Finally got a new light engine and within 7 days the right side of the screen goes black daily.... this has been going on since February... its JULY!! The repair company never calls me back and my extended warranty is up in NOVEMBER I am getting so FRUSTRATED. My previous tv was a 53 inch sony rear projection and it lasted over 10 years with no problems... I will never by a Samsung again.... sad because the picture is beautiful!!
August 10, 2010 8:16:14 AM

mlogotile said:
I am having the exact same problem.... first my light bulb blew, and at the same time I had a shadow down the left hand side about 3-4 inches wide. I did purchase the extended warranty. I replaced the bulb myself thinking it would take care of the shadow as well. Within 6 weeks of the light bulb blowing the whole picture went black again with a loud pop, I thought it was the bulb and called the extended warranty company(mine is exactly 5 years old also) and when they came out it was the color wheel and the light tunnel. the replacement parts didnt fit, so they ended up ordering a complete light engine..... used..... and then there was a 3-4 inch wide shadow along the whole bottom of the screen. Finally got a new light engine and within 7 days the right side of the screen goes black daily.... this has been going on since February... its JULY!! The repair company never calls me back and my extended warranty is up in NOVEMBER I am getting so FRUSTRATED. My previous tv was a 53 inch sony rear projection and it lasted over 10 years with no problems... I will never by a Samsung again.... sad because the picture is beautiful!!


While I appreciate the work Super-mike has done, I agree that it is time for another Class Action against this company and the retailers (Best Buy in my case). Because I have experienced a lot of the problems in this thread with my HLR6168WX/XAA which I purchased April '06. The most recent is this intermittent black out of the right half of the set. I even purchased their 4 yr extended warranty which ran concurrent with the Manufacturer's Warranty. Another scam! I have tried every department at Samsung and Best Buy. Only to be told that "This defect" is not covered by the Light Tunnel Class Action Settlement", and that I am responsible for the repair cost of $750 -$850. I would rather use this money toward a Class Action of our own since this appears to be the only institution these F'ers respond to. Tomorrow I am presenting my case to the Attorney General's Office in CT. We'll take it from there :ange: 
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 12, 2010 6:37:06 PM

rosect said:
While I appreciate the work Super-mike has done, I agree that it is time for another Class Action against this company and the retailers (Best Buy in my case). Because I have experienced a lot of the problems in this thread with my HLR6168WX/XAA which I purchased April '06. The most recent is this intermittent black out of the right half of the set. I even purchased their 4 yr extended warranty which ran concurrent with the Manufacturer's Warranty. Another scam! I have tried every department at Samsung and Best Buy. Only to be told that "This defect" is not covered by the Light Tunnel Class Action Settlement", and that I am responsible for the repair cost of $750 -$850. I would rather use this money toward a Class Action of our own since this appears to be the only institution these F'ers respond to. Tomorrow I am presenting my case to the Attorney General's Office in CT. We'll take it from there :ange: 



I am also having the same issue on my 58" DLP. If you turn off the TV for ten seconds it is good to go for another couple of hours. I will never buy another Samsung TV like some many others have proclaimed. BTY, I live in CT also, I'd be interested in know if your effort go anywhere.
May 28, 2011 10:50:11 PM

I too have a Samsung 63" DLP that has never made it an entire year with major repairs. Now after year 5, the TV comes on for a few minutes and then blacks out. Turn it off for a while and it will come back on for another few minutes. No matter what type of electronic it would be, Samsung will be the last brand on my list. I would like to participate in any class action lawsuit that anyone intends to file. I paid over $3000 for the TV and endless repairs and Samsung doens't seem to care. I think we need to make them care!
June 19, 2011 5:11:52 PM

I am having the same problem with my 48 inch that I bought less than 3 ago and would definitely if possible like to get in with you all on that class action suit even if it's to cut down on the cost of attorney/lawsuit fees.Please contact as soon as possible thru my E-Mail address-I will not open ANY mail that I am unfamiliar with(str8 Delete/trash them)so when/if you contact me please place your name on cc so that I know who it is because I have written the names down from this forum.Thanks and let's stop these bastards and get they to repair and correct there defective products. :bounce: 
rayo3914@yahoo.com
June 27, 2011 4:22:01 PM

rosect said:
While I appreciate the work Super-mike has done, I agree that it is time for another Class Action against this company and the retailers (Best Buy in my case). Because I have experienced a lot of the problems in this thread with my HLR6168WX/XAA which I purchased April '06. The most recent is this intermittent black out of the right half of the set. I even purchased their 4 yr extended warranty which ran concurrent with the Manufacturer's Warranty. Another scam! I have tried every department at Samsung and Best Buy. Only to be told that "This defect" is not covered by the Light Tunnel Class Action Settlement", and that I am responsible for the repair cost of $750 -$850. I would rather use this money toward a Class Action of our own since this appears to be the only institution these F'ers respond to. Tomorrow I am presenting my case to the Attorney General's Office in CT. We'll take it from there :ange: 



I am totally in for a new Class Action. I too have called Samsung a number of times and it seems to the it's ok to spend 100's of dollars on top of what you've spend on the set already. Please contact me for more details or to add to the case.

xakeo@aol.com
305-542-7551
July 2, 2011 2:16:52 PM

xakeo said:
I am totally in for a new Class Action. I too have called Samsung a number of times and it seems to the it's ok to spend 100's of dollars on top of what you've spend on the set already. Please contact me for more details or to add to the case.

xakeo@aol.com
305-542-7551


This has happened to me twice already in 5 years and once again my half screen is black. I am totally in for a Class action.

bvhh@yahoo.com
July 2, 2011 3:17:50 PM

This has happened to me twice already in 5 years and once again my half screen is black. I am totally in for a Class action.

bvhh@yahoo.com
July 7, 2011 1:40:42 AM

I've just purchased a used 50" samsung HDTV HL-P5063W. I was told by the seller all I needed was a lamp. Well that was a small part of the truth due to "All Sales Are Final". I was informed that I need a light engine. I have already invested $157 into tv and was wondering should I just accept my loss.
July 30, 2011 5:27:41 PM

I couldn't agree more that I will NEVER buy another Samsung. I've got the HLR5078w DLP and purchased it new in 2005. Just like everyone else it started with the left side shadow so I replaced the parts in the light engine, then it was the color wheel, then the bulb and sure enough now it's the half black screen. It just started about two weeks ago and had done it twice in the last week. I just unplug the power supply in the back of the set and when I plug it back in it seems to works fine again. Until the next time it happens. Samsung has the worst customer service that I have ever encountered. At the time of my left shadow problem my set was out of warranty and I pleaded with samsung to cover the repair but they didn't want any of it. So I paid for the repair and Samsung ended up reimbursing me for every penny when the class action suit settled. Looks like it's time for another class action. Honestly, I'll never buy another Samsung and when I do purchase something I'm getting the longest warranty they offer. Seems like you don't have a choice today with the way they build this crap. I've never been a warranty guy but it seems like I'm getting burnt on all the appliances from stereo equipment to tv's.
August 27, 2011 10:34:10 PM

rosect said:
While I appreciate the work Super-mike has done, I agree that it is time for another Class Action against this company and the retailers (Best Buy in my case). Because I have experienced a lot of the problems in this thread with my HLR6168WX/XAA which I purchased April '06. The most recent is this intermittent black out of the right half of the set. I even purchased their 4 yr extended warranty which ran concurrent with the Manufacturer's Warranty. Another scam! I have tried every department at Samsung and Best Buy. Only to be told that "This defect" is not covered by the Light Tunnel Class Action Settlement", and that I am responsible for the repair cost of $750 -$850. I would rather use this money toward a Class Action of our own since this appears to be the only institution these F'ers respond to. Tomorrow I am presenting my case to the Attorney General's Office in CT. We'll take it from there :ange: 

August 27, 2011 10:44:55 PM

rosect said:
While I appreciate the work Super-mike has done, I agree that it is time for another Class Action against this company and the retailers (Best Buy in my case). Because I have experienced a lot of the problems in this thread with my HLR6168WX/XAA which I purchased April '06. The most recent is this intermittent black out of the right half of the set. I even purchased their 4 yr extended warranty which ran concurrent with the Manufacturer's Warranty. Another scam! I have tried every department at Samsung and Best Buy. Only to be told that "This defect" is not covered by the Light Tunnel Class Action Settlement", and that I am responsible for the repair cost of $750 -$850. I would rather use this money toward a Class Action of our own since this appears to be the only institution these F'ers respond to. Tomorrow I am presenting my case to the Attorney General's Office in CT. We'll take it from there :ange: 



I have the Samsung HLR5078WX with the same problem of the right half of the picture going blank. Also,
I replaced a broken color wheel and the light bulb last year. The local Samsung Tech says I need a DMD
Board and Samsung will not provide this or pay labor. I talked direct with their exec office today, Saturday, 8/27/2011. They would pay for a "light tunnel" because of a class action lawsuit, but that is not my problem. Good luck with a lawsuit. I actually concluded the Board "cuts out" because of heat. Since I pointed a small
fan at the light area, I have no more problems. It may be that the internal fan cuts out and does not run.
You might want to try a fan.
August 28, 2011 3:45:41 PM

Same exact situation here and you get nothing from Samsung. At the time that my HLR5078w started with the left side shadow my tv was out of warranty. This was prior to the Class Action suit and Samsung would do my repair at no charge. I had a local tech come out and do the repair and then when the class action settled I sent in my receipts to Samsung was sent a check by them. Still can't believe that. But then the color wheel just shattered and shortly after that the bulb blew. I purchased parts and did those two repairs myself. But now it's been a month or two and I'm fighting with the half screen black issue. I love the picture on this tv but I can't justify paying anymore money to get this problem fixed. I read quite a bit and it doesn't seem like a cheap fix. I guess I'll try the fan method and see if that buys me some time. I established quite a good relationship with one of the attorneys that was part of the legal team with the left side shadow suit. I'm going to email him and bring this latest problem to his attention. You can almost set your watch as to when these problems are going to pop up and to me it's a clear pattern. Faulty equipment and Samsung should make good on it. I will NEVER buy another Samsung. All these companies have crappy customer service but I'll take my chances with anyone over Samsung.
September 16, 2011 9:47:48 PM

rosect said:
While I appreciate the work Super-mike has done, I agree that it is time for another Class Action against this company and the retailers (Best Buy in my case). Because I have experienced a lot of the problems in this thread with my HLR6168WX/XAA which I purchased April '06. The most recent is this intermittent black out of the right half of the set. I even purchased their 4 yr extended warranty which ran concurrent with the Manufacturer's Warranty. Another scam! I have tried every department at Samsung and Best Buy. Only to be told that "This defect" is not covered by the Light Tunnel Class Action Settlement", and that I am responsible for the repair cost of $750 -$850. I would rather use this money toward a Class Action of our own since this appears to be the only institution these F'ers respond to. Tomorrow I am presenting my case to the Attorney General's Office in CT. We'll take it from there :ange: 


Please let us all know how this case develops.
I have the same problem and spoke to Sammy Support. I asked if it was a known problem and they side-stepped that question and told me I needed a service at my cost.
September 17, 2011 4:45:06 PM

This may be a helpful tip that can stretch a little more life out of your tv. It had been posted earlier and it seems to be working for me. Originally I read where someone in another forum positioned a small fan in the rear of the tv blowing air away from the tv. I tried that and had no luck, screen still went half black after about an hour or once the DMD board heated up. So I positioned the fan blowing almost directly into the vented area of the tv. I was worried at first about dust particles ending up on the mirror or color wheel but at this point didn't have much to lose. So my little fan seemed to keep that area cool and it seems that if the DMD board or whatever little chip on the DMD board doesn't over heat you won't get the half black screen. I ran a test and kept my tv on for 7 straight hours without once getting the half black screen. It worked for me so it's worth a try. I've been trying to purchase a refurbished DMD board from discount tv parts but they don't have any in stock at the moment. When they do have them they cost $135.00 and I would be willing to give that a try. Otherwise it's purchase a new DMD board or entire Light Engine Assembly from Samsung for way too much money. I'll never buy another Samsung, that's for sure. Good luck.
September 17, 2011 5:34:50 PM

Interesting tip thanks.
I would also urge everyone to ensure they register the problem with Sammy Support. The more people with problems registered the better ones chances of either getting them to step up or if a Class Action suit follows one will be on the list.

I bought my TV in 2005 an approx one year later I had to have it serviced under warranty. The LE mirrors were apparently glued with the WRONG GLUE back at the Mexico factory. The techie repaired the tiny mirrors.

So I am guess that this isn't a pure LE issue rather the DMD board.

When and if supplies become availble let us all know.
September 17, 2011 5:43:17 PM

I also bought my tv in 2005 but had three years with no problems at all. My first problem was what you are referring to with the faulty glue on the mirrors. That problem was known as the left side shadow. The adhesive broke loose which caused the tiny mirror to fall forward and create a side shadow. This problem became a class action suit and Samsung lost. I was reimbursed for my out of pocket expenses for parts & labor. None the less it was still a typical Samsung run a round and it took two years or more to be re imbursed.

The light engine assemble is just a fancy name where the color wheel, bulb, dmd board all live. You can buy an entire light engine or try to just buy seperate parts. Some of the parts & chips aren't made anymore. I'm holding out for a re furbished DMD board but until I get one I'm going with the fan method. I hate giving up on this tv because the picture is great and I don't want to part with $2500 to buy the new Panasonic that I want. I'll try to strectch a little more life out of my Sammy.
November 8, 2011 6:22:03 PM

f6487 said:
I also bought my tv in 2005 but had three years with no problems at all. My first problem was what you are referring to with the faulty glue on the mirrors. That problem was known as the left side shadow. The adhesive broke loose which caused the tiny mirror to fall forward and create a side shadow. This problem became a class action suit and Samsung lost. I was reimbursed for my out of pocket expenses for parts & labor. None the less it was still a typical Samsung run a round and it took two years or more to be re imbursed.

The light engine assemble is just a fancy name where the color wheel, bulb, dmd board all live. You can buy an entire light engine or try to just buy seperate parts. Some of the parts & chips aren't made anymore. I'm holding out for a re furbished DMD board but until I get one I'm going with the fan method. I hate giving up on this tv because the picture is great and I don't want to part with $2500 to buy the new Panasonic that I want. I'll try to strectch a little more life out of my Sammy.


Sadly, I have only just found out about the class action lawsuit regarding the Light Tunnel issue but Samsung is telling me that the lawsuit settled on October 22nd and that they will not pay a penny towards repairing my TV.

I have had so many problems with this TV starting with the color wheel some months after I purchased it. The company that came in to service the TV (Video Pro) replaced the whole Light Engine assembly at the time and TV was OK until my lamp blew last year. I changed the lamp but after a little while, I started noticing a tiny shadow bar on the left side of the screen. I did not know about the problem at the time and chalked it up to some dirt inside the TV but the shadow started growing slowly but surely over time. During this time, the TV also started shutting down intermittently and I found the cause to be a defective lamp ballast (I don't know if it's possible that the original lamp that blew up damaged the ballast) so I had to replace the ballast too. The TV was doing OK until recently but my lamp blew again (it hasn't even been a year since the lamp I replaced blew) and during the course of ordering another lamp, I decided to investigate the shadow issue on the left side of the screen further since the black band now covers about 5-6' inches of the screen and it also appears to have gotten darker. During the course of this investigation, I first came across the issue on the ecoustics forum and then I was able to find other threads in more popular sites like the AVS forums, etc. I then finally found out about the Class Action Lawsuit.

I have purchased a lot of expensive Samsung devices over the years (including a top of the line washer and dryer set) and paid $3200 for this TV back in May 2006 but I will never buy another Samsung product after how rude the customer service has been to me over this issue. They pretty much flat out told me that they will not stand by their products no matter what and won't pay a single penny to repair a defect unless you sue the hell out of them.

P.S.
It seems strange that a lot of us on this forum have developed this light tunnel issue after out lamps blew for the first time.
November 25, 2011 11:10:10 AM

hello,

I am yet another with this issue. I was even still under warranty and got the run around after they sent a repairman out 3 times to try and fix the half black screen issue. needless to say he was unable and said the TV should be replaced. Samsung emailed me saying they will refund the full purchase price. a few weeks went by so I called over there again and was told it will come soon. after yet more time I was told they will now offer me $300 for my TV. I refused this as I paid well over 3000 for it. So it seem even when they put it in writing Samsung will not honer their agreements. if anyone hears of a class action suite please contact me.

Kevin
k.t.keene@gmail.com
November 27, 2011 4:23:47 AM

I'm right there with Kevin! and Samsung Customer Service has been so rude! I was told by their rep I had a "papereight". Amazing! Please add me to the list for the settlement that hopefully can be extended from the one that ended Oct 22. I will be sending a complete package of documents to Samsung "office of the president" and a copy to Lax LLP the old attorneys for the original case.
Sabrina
sabrina_leitner@yahoo.com
March 17, 2012 2:32:58 AM

What is the "fan method" you refer to? I actually came across a post (somewhere???) from a guy who installed three small fans (from what I could tell) and said his ran for 72 hours with no trouble. If you have any install advice I'd appreciate it.

Chris
March 17, 2012 3:30:31 AM

I was able to locate the "fan fix" I referred to a little while ago (don't know why it didn't pop up all night until now . . ). There were two actually. A brut force approach that attached a large fan to the back of the set right over the heat exhaust vent fins: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y52PBvzzL._SL50...

and another, detailed description from a guy who used three small fans inside the enclosure. This is an excerpt of a post from "stonkulture" over at www.fixyourdlp.com . . .



Allow me to explain:
The DMD board is located on the top section of the internal workings and integrated with the LIGHT ENGINE. Let's think about that and discuss it for a minute, shall we?

The lamp that is used with this unit,...and without getting all technical for those of us who are "technically challenged" and couldn't read their way out of a set of electrical prints/diagrams if their lives depended on it (not their fault AT ALL).....the lamp gets REALLY HOT!

What does HEAT DO?,...IT RISES, right? Where is the Texas Instruments DLP chip located?...ABOVE AND JUST IN FRONT OF THE LAMP!! Now,...granted,...there's a black "shield" that vents out to the back of the unit to exhaust the heat,...but not NEARLY as much it SHOULD!! Let's do the math,.....let's see,... HEAT + COMPUTER CHIP OF ANY KIND = BAD,...or rather A BURNT-ASS CHIP!
So,...last Friday,...I changed my name to MacGuyver, and proceeded to see if my engineering skills were worth a damn. First,...let me say that IT IS NOT A FAULTY TEXAS INSTRUMENTS DLP CHIP!!!......RATHER THE DESIGN OF THE INTERIOR LAYOUT FROM SAMSUNG!! They DEFINITELY screwed the pooch on this one!

If ANYONE wants pics of what I did,...just send me your e-mail, and I'll send you an about 11.5 mb file (ten pics). I will ALSO send a PDF of that portion of the repair manual.

FIRST, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE LIGHT ENGINE OUT OF THE UNIT.

Second,...I basically installed a small, but some what thick fan at the upper LEFT hand corner of the back of the DMD board housing (approx. 2"x2"x5/8"), using the EXISTING screw hole (I TOOK OUT THE ORIGINAL GOLD COLORED SCREW, then tapped it out to a 6/32 and used a 1" long screw to secure the fan).....NO ADDITIONAL HOLES WERE TAPPED OUT, EITHER,...JUST THE EXISTING ONE FROM THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER OF THE DMD BOARD AS LOOKING AT IT FROM BEHIND,...AND YOU'LL HAVE TO UNSCREW TWO PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS THAT HOLD THE BLACK HEAT EXHAUST PORT ONTO THE LIGHT ENGINE (that are located just beneath the square opening) in order to install the second fan. You have to kind of slide it (the exhaust port) to the left and up to take it off. The fan direction was blowing ONTO the back of the DMD board.

THIRD,....the SECOND FAN was installed kinda on the middle-bottom-left of the heat sink for the DMD board, which is located DIRECTLY BEHIND that heat exhaust port. I un-screwed two small Phillips Head screws located at the MIDDLE of the heat sink so as to take off the heat sink. I tapped out yet ANOTHER SINGLE 6/32 hole about 1/4" ABOVE where the two screws that hold the heat sink to the DMD board are located, and used a 2 and a 1/2" squared by 3/8"-1/2" raised fan. By the way,...ALL of the fans used were regular-run-of-the-mill 12 volt DC computer fans. The Heat Sink was re-installed, and the fan was fastened with a 1" screw to the newly tapped out 6/32 screw hole. Use the fans' upper left hand hole and IT TOO WILL BLOW ONTO THE HEAT SINK TOWARD THE DMD BOARD (or toward the front of the tv).

FOURTH.....I installed ONE LAST FAN, but located it JUST INSIDE of the BLACK HEAT EXHAUST PORT (It actually fit rather perfectly) I didn't really use anything to secure it to the unit, but it's own input power wires. I drilled a small hole,..about 1/8"- 1/4", at the bottom left side of the exhaust port, in order to feed the fan's wires through from inside of the squared opening to the outside.

FIFTH....I tied all of the wires together,...soldered them (you could probably get away with using small blue or orange wire-nuts) and attached them all to an EXTERNAL 12VDC PLUG IN POWER SUPPLY that is plugged in before the TV is turned on, and unplugged after the TV is turned off.....Now,...eventually,..I'll figure out a relay set-up so it'll turn on when the tv is turned on via the remote,...BUT DO NOT,...I REPEAT,..DO NOT ATTACH THE ADDED FANS TO ANY OF THE EXISTING FANS WITHIN THE SAMSUNG UNIT AS THERE MORE THAN LIKELY IS NOT ENOUGH CURRENT AVAILABLE TO SUPPORT THEM!!
Well,...after approximately 72 HOURS,....YES,...I WILL REPEAT THAT,....72 HOURS of CONTINUOUS use WITH THE NEWLY INSTALLED MACGUYVERED FAN SET UP,.......NO HALF SCREEN!!!!! YES, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!! I HAVE SOLVED AND FIXED THE ISSUE!!!

YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE AMOUNT OF HEAT THAT COMES FROM THE NEWLEY INSTALLED EXHAUST FAN!!! THAT ALONE probably solved the problem,...but I don't think the other two that are attached to the DMD board are doing any damage or for nothing either.

ANYWAY,....again,...if ANYONE else would like to attempt this,...send me your e-mail,...I'll send you a PDF and some pics.
Oh,...and if anyone is into hard rock/ metal music like Metallica, Godsmack, Sevendust, Creed,...check out prevail rocks dot com and if you like it,..spread the word. THAT would be thanks enough for me,...and yes,...I'm in the band. If you read the band bios,..you'll figure out which one I am.
Cheers, Salute, and Skol!

March 20, 2012 10:45:17 PM

Is it worth it to pay $550 to have a new DMD board installed? I know it's cheaper than buying a new TV, but am wondering how much life i should get out of the tv with a new board.
March 30, 2012 9:49:36 PM

Update (4/1/12). Applied the brute force approach alluded to in my earlier post. My Sammy has been running without failure over many hours for many days now. Suggest everyone give this a shot. Cost me $25.00. Over and out. C
May 7, 2012 4:09:52 PM

Thanks for the engineering work. I am interested in the pdf that describes your fan modification since I am experiencing the same problem with my tv.

Can you email this to me at jake555_1999@yahoo.com?








cpwright said:
I was able to locate the "fan fix" I referred to a little while ago (don't know why it didn't pop up all night until now . . ). There were two actually. A brut force approach that attached a large fan to the back of the set right over the heat exhaust vent fins: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y52PBvzzL._SL50...

and another, detailed description from a guy who used three small fans inside the enclosure. This is an excerpt of a post from "stonkulture" over at www.fixyourdlp.com . . .



Allow me to explain:
The DMD board is located on the top section of the internal workings and integrated with the LIGHT ENGINE. Let's think about that and discuss it for a minute, shall we?

The lamp that is used with this unit,...and without getting all technical for those of us who are "technically challenged" and couldn't read their way out of a set of electrical prints/diagrams if their lives depended on it (not their fault AT ALL).....the lamp gets REALLY HOT!

What does HEAT DO?,...IT RISES, right? Where is the Texas Instruments DLP chip located?...ABOVE AND JUST IN FRONT OF THE LAMP!! Now,...granted,...there's a black "shield" that vents out to the back of the unit to exhaust the heat,...but not NEARLY as much it SHOULD!! Let's do the math,.....let's see,... HEAT + COMPUTER CHIP OF ANY KIND = BAD,...or rather A BURNT-ASS CHIP!
So,...last Friday,...I changed my name to MacGuyver, and proceeded to see if my engineering skills were worth a damn. First,...let me say that IT IS NOT A FAULTY TEXAS INSTRUMENTS DLP CHIP!!!......RATHER THE DESIGN OF THE INTERIOR LAYOUT FROM SAMSUNG!! They DEFINITELY screwed the pooch on this one!

If ANYONE wants pics of what I did,...just send me your e-mail, and I'll send you an about 11.5 mb file (ten pics). I will ALSO send a PDF of that portion of the repair manual.

FIRST, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE LIGHT ENGINE OUT OF THE UNIT.

Second,...I basically installed a small, but some what thick fan at the upper LEFT hand corner of the back of the DMD board housing (approx. 2"x2"x5/8"), using the EXISTING screw hole (I TOOK OUT THE ORIGINAL GOLD COLORED SCREW, then tapped it out to a 6/32 and used a 1" long screw to secure the fan).....NO ADDITIONAL HOLES WERE TAPPED OUT, EITHER,...JUST THE EXISTING ONE FROM THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER OF THE DMD BOARD AS LOOKING AT IT FROM BEHIND,...AND YOU'LL HAVE TO UNSCREW TWO PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS THAT HOLD THE BLACK HEAT EXHAUST PORT ONTO THE LIGHT ENGINE (that are located just beneath the square opening) in order to install the second fan. You have to kind of slide it (the exhaust port) to the left and up to take it off. The fan direction was blowing ONTO the back of the DMD board.

THIRD,....the SECOND FAN was installed kinda on the middle-bottom-left of the heat sink for the DMD board, which is located DIRECTLY BEHIND that heat exhaust port. I un-screwed two small Phillips Head screws located at the MIDDLE of the heat sink so as to take off the heat sink. I tapped out yet ANOTHER SINGLE 6/32 hole about 1/4" ABOVE where the two screws that hold the heat sink to the DMD board are located, and used a 2 and a 1/2" squared by 3/8"-1/2" raised fan. By the way,...ALL of the fans used were regular-run-of-the-mill 12 volt DC computer fans. The Heat Sink was re-installed, and the fan was fastened with a 1" screw to the newly tapped out 6/32 screw hole. Use the fans' upper left hand hole and IT TOO WILL BLOW ONTO THE HEAT SINK TOWARD THE DMD BOARD (or toward the front of the tv).

FOURTH.....I installed ONE LAST FAN, but located it JUST INSIDE of the BLACK HEAT EXHAUST PORT (It actually fit rather perfectly) I didn't really use anything to secure it to the unit, but it's own input power wires. I drilled a small hole,..about 1/8"- 1/4", at the bottom left side of the exhaust port, in order to feed the fan's wires through from inside of the squared opening to the outside.

FIFTH....I tied all of the wires together,...soldered them (you could probably get away with using small blue or orange wire-nuts) and attached them all to an EXTERNAL 12VDC PLUG IN POWER SUPPLY that is plugged in before the TV is turned on, and unplugged after the TV is turned off.....Now,...eventually,..I'll figure out a relay set-up so it'll turn on when the tv is turned on via the remote,...BUT DO NOT,...I REPEAT,..DO NOT ATTACH THE ADDED FANS TO ANY OF THE EXISTING FANS WITHIN THE SAMSUNG UNIT AS THERE MORE THAN LIKELY IS NOT ENOUGH CURRENT AVAILABLE TO SUPPORT THEM!!
Well,...after approximately 72 HOURS,....YES,...I WILL REPEAT THAT,....72 HOURS of CONTINUOUS use WITH THE NEWLY INSTALLED MACGUYVERED FAN SET UP,.......NO HALF SCREEN!!!!! YES, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!! I HAVE SOLVED AND FIXED THE ISSUE!!!

YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE AMOUNT OF HEAT THAT COMES FROM THE NEWLEY INSTALLED EXHAUST FAN!!! THAT ALONE probably solved the problem,...but I don't think the other two that are attached to the DMD board are doing any damage or for nothing either.

ANYWAY,....again,...if ANYONE else would like to attempt this,...send me your e-mail,...I'll send you a PDF and some pics.
Oh,...and if anyone is into hard rock/ metal music like Metallica, Godsmack, Sevendust, Creed,...check out prevail rocks dot com and if you like it,..spread the word. THAT would be thanks enough for me,...and yes,...I'm in the band. If you read the band bios,..you'll figure out which one I am.
Cheers, Salute, and Skol!

January 19, 2013 4:39:53 PM

Our experience with Samsung tv is not the greatest. We bought the HD 50" flat tv some years ago and experienced over the last 12 months the on and off disappearance of half on the picture (the lower half). Sometimes for just a few seconds and sometimes for the rest of the day. Did someone help us? No. We are just in the middle of replacing it with a new Phillips 50". By the way we are enjoying in our entertainment room, a big screen Sony which has been working well for over 10 years.
March 23, 2013 4:45:43 PM

nviles1 said:
Samsung HL-R6178W DLP HDTV

I just bought this tv used as is. Every once in a while, the right side of the screen goes black on all inputs. I have read from other locations that this is the DMD but suggests to replace the light engine.

I found the light engine for about $1000.

I would love to see if anyone has any experience replacing a light engine, or perhaps just the DMD.

Anyone had this experience?


March 23, 2013 5:06:48 PM

Ok I have Samsung 61 inch dlp. After 10 to 20 min I'm getting half black screen and after hour or so get full black screen. I know the tv getting hot so I did a few test with venting the tv and this what's works for me.My tv been working for two weeks now.
I use duel fans (small house fans on low speed). I located them on back of tv. Just brace them in back. Located from dmd board area and other left side of that by component connection area.
Now the fan by dmd board area have that fan blow into tv. Now the other fan use to exhaust air out. This supply good air inside tv and tv works.
Now it's a pain but you can watch tv. Always turn fans on first before turn on tv his way inside of tv never gets hot. Reminder turn fans off when you turn tv off.
Enjoy watching tv again. I know lots of people having his issue. Let me know if his help you.
June 27, 2013 8:38:12 AM

it is a heat problem ,
put a fan on right side or the side with the most dust coming out,


it fixed mine and is lot oldre that most of yous ....... it is a flaw in, heat put a fan on the air vents...



June 27, 2013 8:39:58 AM

put a fan on it,


myu tv i brought,

in 2007 or so... ,

the heat cracked my screen, but , i changed it place,,, i put fan on it.. moved it ... get it try it out sed donation to me plase for saving you thouseand of dollars..


herb mcgrath 3428 red oak ln crete IL.. oh tell samsung ... you owe me
August 28, 2013 11:00:40 PM

Herb McGrath said:
put a fan on it,


myu tv i brought,

in 2007 or so... ,

Anyone doing anything. My TV was part if the settlement but I was not notified. My first problem was Feb 2010. Since then it's been serviced 8 times, over 2000 in parts put in. Just last week new capacitor and ballist board, 18 hours later dead again. We all need to take this to Robert I Lax. Samsung is skirting the issue. email me, lkmbeachinmoney@gmail.com, Linnea

the heat cracked my screen, but , i changed it place,,, i put fan on it.. moved it ... get it try it out sed donation to me plase for saving you thouseand of dollars..


herb mcgrath 3428 red oak ln crete IL.. oh tell samsung ... you owe me


!