[WFB] Brettonians gonna make your ears fall off

Thanks for all answers so far. You have all properly dashed my poor
understading of WFB rules and Brets in particular. Anyways, I'm
currently planning a skirmish army 600p for a competition at a local
store and getting enough units out of the darn brets seem impossible. :)

My main problem atm is the Battle Standard Bearer, which being a paladin
with Ld 8 forces the general to be a paladin or grail knight. I now have
three options and would like you imput on these and a legality check on
the first one.

Opt 1:
Give the BSB the Virtue of the Ideal so he can't be the general
irrespective of Ld. Any KoR or Damsel can know be general.
74 + 35 = 101

Opt 2:
Give the BSB the grail vow and stick him in a small(3) unit of grail
knights, one of which is the general. It's not really necessary to give
hime the grail vow but it's nice if he can be with the general and
doesnt run of and get killed somewhere else.
74 + 21 + 114 = 209

Opt 3:
Two paladins, one BSB and one General.
74 + 80 = 154

--
Sigblock empty. By choice.

On 1/25/05 6:42 PM, in article
1106696750.75ddeb852779688fbac260f127b640a6@teranews, "Mattias Aldaron"
<morphriz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all answers so far. You have all properly dashed my poor
> understading of WFB rules and Brets in particular. Anyways, I'm
> currently planning a skirmish army 600p for a competition at a local
> store and getting enough units out of the darn brets seem impossible. :)
>
> My main problem atm is the Battle Standard Bearer, which being a paladin
> with Ld 8 forces the general to be a paladin or grail knight. I now have
> three options and would like you imput on these and a legality check on
> the first one.
>
> Opt 1:
> Give the BSB the Virtue of the Ideal so he can't be the general
> irrespective of Ld. Any KoR or Damsel can know be general.
> 74 + 35 = 101
>
> Opt 2:
> Give the BSB the grail vow and stick him in a small(3) unit of grail
> knights, one of which is the general. It's not really necessary to give
> hime the grail vow but it's nice if he can be with the general and
> doesnt run of and get killed somewhere else.
> 74 + 21 + 114 = 209
>
> Opt 3:
> Two paladins, one BSB and one General.
> 74 + 80 = 154

Um ... You need to read the requirements for core troops and such as well as
minimum unit sizes. Generally speaking, Bretonnians don't skirmish, unless
you are using the word differently than I'm hearing it.

The BSB can't be the general - period. It's a rule. So that is not a
problem. I don't think a damsel or prophetess can be the general - her
leadership is 7 and the paladin is 8. You are forced to have two paladins
before getting your damsels.

You have to have a unit of Realm Knights and it has to be at least 5 large.

At 600 points, you aren't going to have much room to wiggle.

Absolute minimum Bret army is 2 paladins (bsb and general) and 5 knights of
the realm - that's 268 points off the bat with nobody really having anything
yet. You need a second core unit before you can take anything else. If you
truly mean to skirmish, then take bowmen and pay +1 per to make them
skirmishers (you can do that to only one unit of them) um, 70 pts for 10.
At least 74 for the damsel - probably more. We are over 400 and haven't
really done any magic items. 5 knights errant for the damsel to ride with
is another 100 points. Now you are at the tweaking point. Have fun and
good luck!

Yeah, Brets prefer higher point armies but then again, what can your
opponent really field with only 600 points - just hope he is not orcs and
goblins.

janet
--
Education is a wonderful thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that
is worth knowing can be taught.

Janet Quick wrote:

[SNIP]

> Um ... You need to read the requirements for core troops and such as well as
> minimum unit sizes. Generally speaking, Bretonnians don't skirmish, unless
> you are using the word differently than I'm hearing it.

As in a battle with small armies. 600p might even be to big to be called
a skirmish. Rule book talks about skirmishes with armies in the 100p range.

> The BSB can't be the general - period. It's a rule. So that is not a
> problem. I don't think a damsel or prophetess can be the general - her
> leadership is 7 and the paladin is 8. You are forced to have two paladins
> before getting your damsels.

In Opt 1. The virtue of the ideal prevents the paladin having it from
being general. "He may not be the general (even if he has the highest
leadership)", p58 in the rules. The legality question is was posing was
if this could be used in a "loophole" sense. That is if the BSB cannot
be general because of the properties of the Virtue of the ideal _and_ he
is the only unit with Ld 8 then a unit with Ld 7 can become general.

> You have to have a unit of Realm Knights and it has to be at least 5 large.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear. This is only concering the BSB and the fact
that two paladins(Opt 3 in the original post) are costly for a very
small army. In the actual army there would be more units, KoR, archers
and maybe a second KoR if i can fit it.

> At 600 points, you aren't going to have much room to wiggle.
>
> Absolute minimum Bret army is 2 paladins (bsb and general) and 5 knights of
> the realm - that's 268 points off the bat with nobody really having anything
> yet. You need a second core unit before you can take anything else. If you
> truly mean to skirmish, then take bowmen and pay +1 per to make them
> skirmishers (you can do that to only one unit of them) um, 70 pts for 10.
> At least 74 for the damsel - probably more. We are over 400 and haven't
> really done any magic items. 5 knights errant for the damsel to ride with
> is another 100 points. Now you are at the tweaking point. Have fun and
> good luck!

Yup. I know. Tweaking my ass of here :)

> Yeah, Brets prefer higher point armies but then again, what can your
> opponent really field with only 600 points - just hope he is not orcs and
> goblins.

Pure gobbo army might be fun. There'd be so many of them they'd have to
wait in line to fight. Which gobbos really do stink at :)

--
Sigblock empty. By choice.

Janet Quick wrote:
> The BSB can't be the general - period. It's a rule. So that is not a
> problem. I don't think a damsel or prophetess can be the general - her
> leadership is 7 and the paladin is 8. You are forced to have two paladins
> before getting your damsels.

Nope, as the BSB can't never be your general, then the character with
the next highest leadership kicks in, so if you have a damsel and a BSB,
then the damsel will be your general.

Accyally for brets it makes little to no difference who the general is
unless he is a lord characters, as almost all knights have ld 8 and only
the lord has ld 9.