"Open with" File associations

July 26, 2005 3:53:04 AM

For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,

"This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel".

Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
particular file type.

Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro 7,
and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg file,
and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of installed
programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.

Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
how do I get it back?

What gives?

HELP PLEASE..

More about : open file associations

July 26, 2005 10:18:56 AM

Michael Arends wrote:

> For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
> types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,
>
> "This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
> this action. Create an association in the folder options control
> panel".
>
> Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
> particular file type.
>
> Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro
> 7, and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg
> file, and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of
> installed programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.
>
> Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
> how do I get it back?
>
> What gives?
>
> HELP PLEASE..

Of course you could have damaged something by using a registry cleaner.
That is why most techs do not recommend the use of third party software
to deal with the Windows registry. Try a System Restore to when things
worked properly.

Otherwise, here are some links regarding right-click issues:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
Slow right-click and other issues -
Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Yes, using a registry cleaner could have deleted keys needed for this.

Restore from your backup. You did backup before using registry cleaner
didn't you?

"Michael Arends" wrote:

> For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
> types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,
>
> "This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
> this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel".
>
> Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
> particular file type.
>
> Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro 7,
> and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg file,
> and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of installed
> programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.
>
> Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
> how do I get it back?
>
> What gives?
>
> HELP PLEASE..

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:20:05 AM

Use the advanced tab in file association's file type, check the name of the
program that opens the program, do this with the edit tab, or just use the
default tab.

!