"Open with" File associations

For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,

"This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel".

Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
particular file type.

Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro 7,
and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg file,
and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of installed
programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.

Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
how do I get it back?

What gives?

HELP PLEASE..
3 answers Last reply
More about open with file associations

    Michael Arends wrote:

    > For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
    > types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,
    >
    > "This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
    > this action. Create an association in the folder options control
    > panel".
    >
    > Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
    > particular file type.
    >
    > Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro
    > 7, and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg
    > file, and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of
    > installed programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.
    >
    > Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
    > how do I get it back?
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > HELP PLEASE..

    Of course you could have damaged something by using a registry cleaner.
    That is why most techs do not recommend the use of third party software
    to deal with the Windows registry. Try a System Restore to when things
    worked properly.

    Otherwise, here are some links regarding right-click issues:

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled -
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
    Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
    Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
    Slow right-click and other issues -
    Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Yes, using a registry cleaner could have deleted keys needed for this.

    Restore from your backup. You did backup before using registry cleaner
    didn't you?

    "Michael Arends" wrote:

    > For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
    > types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,
    >
    > "This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
    > this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel".
    >
    > Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
    > particular file type.
    >
    > Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro 7,
    > and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg file,
    > and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of installed
    > programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.
    >
    > Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
    > how do I get it back?
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > HELP PLEASE..

    Use the advanced tab in file association's file type, check the name of the
    program that opens the program, do this with the edit tab, or just use the
    default tab.

    "Michael Arends" wrote:

    > For some reason now, whenever I try to RIGHT click on ANY of my file
    > types, and do a OPEN WITH, I come up with the following message,
    >
    > "This file doesn't have a program associated with it, for performing
    > this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel".
    >
    > Except that when I go there, there IS a program associated with the
    > particular file type.
    >
    > Example: .jpg files, I have Microsoft photo editor, Paint Shop Pro 7,
    > and Picassa, installed. I used to be able to RIGHT click on a .jpg file,
    > and then go to "open with" and it would give me a list of installed
    > programs to choose from. NOW I get the above error.
    >
    > Now, I DO use a registry cleaner, could I have damaged something? and
    > how do I get it back?
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > HELP PLEASE..

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP