Booted

Correction on email addy from first message.
I continuously get booted out of msn.com game rooms I
also get booted out of other msn programs. My server
says that I have enough power for system and I don;t know
why this happens. Any suggestions?
Thank You
1 answer Last reply
More about booted
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi,
    "deville44 (remove) @hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Correction on email addy from first message.
    | I continuously get booted out of msn.com game rooms I
    | also get booted out of other msn programs. My server
    | says that I have enough power for system and I don;t know
    | why this happens. Any suggestions?
    | Thank You

    I don't want to overwhelm you with information, nor do I want to make you
    wait for more suggestions if my first instincts are incorrect. For this reason,
    here's a fairly complete checklist of solutions, which should solve the problem.

    Remember, if there is a step that you feel unsure about, we are here to help
    you. Just post your questions and we'll do our very best to help you further.

    With that said, here's the checklist of troubleshooting steps for you! :-)

    IF DISCONNECTED WHILE PLAYING:

    1. Disconnects can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
    programs running on your system. See above for help disabling those programs.

    2. Another reason for disconnects could be an external router or modem that has
    overheated. Try unplugging it for awhile, and contact your ISP to see if they have
    a newer model if the problem keeps recurring.

    3. Check for IRQ sharing: Click START / Run / type: msinfo32 / ENTER
    Expand + Hardware Resources / Click on IRQ and notice if the sound card, video
    card(s), and modem/network cards share the same IRQ. If they do, move them into
    different slots, to prevent bottlenecks caused by too much traffic on the same IRQ.

    4. Further to step 3., Make certain that your Network adapter or Internal Modem
    is not in the slot directly beside the graphics card, as those two must be separate.

    HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CONNECTION:

    1. Run this SPEED TEST: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

    2. Download the TCP Optimizer Utility: http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

    3. Double click the program to start it:

    4. Select the type of connection you're using: DSL, Dialup, DSL (PPPoE),
    or Cable, then click "Optimal settings", click Apply changes, and click Exit.

    5. Reboot and run the SPEED TEST again. Notice any improvement? If not,
    then the Internet "highway" that you're using may be under heavy traffic or
    construction. I have a webpage you can use to examine that possibility:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/TraceRoute.html

    ADDITIONAL CONNECTIVITY TIPS:

    1. Extra items in your Networking Properties Components list may confuse and
    delay your system while it's connecting as it has to choose which component to
    transfer the data through. Solution: Remove unnecessary network Components.
    If you don't use dial up, replace "Dial Up Adapter" with "Network Adapter" in:
    these instructions: http://www.oregoncoast.com/configuration/ConfigNetwork.htm
    * If you don't use a Dialup Modem, delete it. In 99% of cases VPN components
    aren't used, so you can safely delete those as well.

    2. Advanced Users should Reinstall ICS and Networking Components:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263276 Or..
    another advice would be to simply unplug the computer, remove the card
    you connect to the internet with, and then restart the computer to verify that there
    is no longer anything installed in the Control Panel / Networking section.
    Once done power off, unplug, reinstall the card, and create a new connection.

    3. Lag/Latency can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
    programs running on your system. Firewalls and even AntiVirus programs have
    been know to slow a connection down. You can disable startup programs using the
    method explained at: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm.

    4. Scan for Adware/Spyware/Trojans with Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de
    And then run an Online Virus Scan: http://housecall.antivirus.com/

    5. If you use a Router, or similar networking/internet sharing device, check for
    firmware updates. There's been a lot of improvements with the release of DX 9.0b
    which you should download and install from: www.microsoft.com/directx

    ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

    More information on the topic of online gaming connections is available at:

    http://NibblesNbitsConnect.tk my site and the reference for this reply to you includes
    Ports listings, Router configuration settings, ICS, DSL, Cable and Networking help.

    Dialup Tips: http://www.56k.com/trouble/#disconn
    Zone.com Dialup Tips: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q228564

    Hope that's been of help, please let me know how it went. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

MSN Video Games