Trying to revert back to Windows 7 from Windows 8 PLEASE HELP!!

G

I have a friend who just installed Windows 8 Release Preview onto his computer, but what he was trying to do was install it as a dual-boot with Windows 7, but that didn't work. What ACTUALLY happened was Windows 8 installed as a primary OS, but it apparently didn't delete any of his data; it just replaced the Windows 7 OS with Windows 8, with its Metro UI and such.

Is there any way to uninstall Windows 8 Release Review and revert back to Windows 7 without deleting any of the data on any of the hard drives?

G

about the only option to save data is move/copy the user folders/files (appdata, documents, music, videos and ect.) to another hard drive if you have one large enough.

that way when you do a fresh install and move the user folders/files back the info in the appdata folder will keep the settings when you reinstall the app/games.

G

My friend has at least 4 or 5 hard drives (5TB+ of HDD storage), each hard drive is partitioned at least 1 or 2 times, so just simply taking all of his data and moving it to another hard drive isn't going to work. He just simply wants Windows 7 back on his computer.

G

If he downloads a copy of Windows 7 and then uses his product key (the one that came with the computer) and does a Windows 7 upgrade, will that revert his system back to Windows 7, and get rid of Windows 8, and NOT delete his data?

G

Okay, but doesn't doing a clean install of Windows 7 mean that everything of every hard drive is going to be deleted? What is a Windows 7 Upgrade?

G

if you move the data off of the c: drive/partition, it is safe.

i doubt you can "upgrade" to 7 since 8 is a more recent OS. you may try it but i would not be surprised if the installing insists on a clean install.