[WH] Chimera's as mounts (Marauder 80s vintage)

Hi,

looking for some advice. I have bought the new softback WH rules and
picked up ravening hordes to get me started on building a chaos army.
However I am a bit confused. Have citadel dropped the concept of
mounting characters on chimeras? There only appear to be four or five
legal mounts now. I downloaded the chaos stat summary sheet off of
the website and they are not listed. You also don't appear to get
them on the online shop.

A second question. The chimera models I have are the Marauder
Miniature kind from the 80s. Has anyone had any success mounting a
figure on one of these? I am not afraid of doing a bit of
modification but I am down to having him sit between the wings with
legs straight forward which would not be good for fighting. The other
options I am thinking of is riding like a surf-board or kneeling on
the back.

Cheers

Finlay

"Finlay" <f_macrae@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> looking for some advice. I have bought the new softback WH rules and
> picked up ravening hordes to get me started on building a chaos army.

chaos army books are out now, ravening hordes is technically redundant. not
that you can't use it yourself, but most folks will be expecting you to use
the rules and lists from the chaos book(s).

> However I am a bit confused. Have citadel dropped the concept of
> mounting characters on chimeras?

correct. they don't exist anymore (except as a footnote in the high elves
book). the current approach is for most armies to have a single
"definitive" monster available as a mount for lord-level characters. so
empire have griffons, orcs get wyverns, etc. not terribly interesting but I
guess I can understand the desire to streamline their ranges and so on.

> A second question. The chimera models I have are the Marauder
> Miniature kind from the 80s. Has anyone had any success mounting a
> figure on one of these?

no, but then the last time I tried was quite a few years ago, so there may
well now be rider components available that would work better. having said
that the model itself is not at all designed to take a rider; the wings fold
back too far and there's no available space around the shoulders. your best
bet would probably be to leave the wings off entirely, and use putty to make
the shoulders more accomodating.

"Finlay" <f_macrae@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> looking for some advice. I have bought the new softback WH rules and
> picked up ravening hordes to get me started on building a chaos army.
> However I am a bit confused. Have citadel dropped the concept of
> mounting characters on chimeras? There only appear to be four or five
> legal mounts now. I downloaded the chaos stat summary sheet off of
> the website and they are not listed. You also don't appear to get
> them on the online shop.
>
> A second question. The chimera models I have are the Marauder
> Miniature kind from the 80s. Has anyone had any success mounting a
> figure on one of these? I am not afraid of doing a bit of
> modification but I am down to having him sit between the wings with
> legs straight forward which would not be good for fighting. The other
> options I am thinking of is riding like a surf-board or kneeling on
> the back.
>
> Cheers
>
> Finlay

If you ditch the wings you could use it as a daemon steed, on a large
monster base.

I had an old chaos warrior mounted on mine, I just removed the base strip
and widened the legs, I put him just in front of the wings if I remember
rightly.

TRENDING THREADS